PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I've tried quite a few PRS guitars and although they often have stunning beauty and always top grade craftsmanship, I've only played a few I really enjoyed. I just resolved that they just aren't for me. The killer for me is the large heal joint on them. I prefer the older pre-factory PRS models and some of the Private Stock I've been lucky enough to mess with. Some of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen were PRS 10 tops. No doubt I am a sucker for the faded blues, aquamarines, teal/blue blends, eriza verdes, and my all time favorite: glacier blue. Just stupid beautiful 3-D quilts, bursts, and flames.

I've never been a huge fan of the pickups, any of them, but I will agree there are some styles they just nail. I'm still hunting to see if I can find "the right one" for me. The newer artist packages, one-offs, and models show me promise for my tastes (not so much the prices though!). The P22 is of interest; I'm glad you can get a solid body with a piezo system outside of the Private Stock. If I can find the right combo of feel (smaller heal joint) and looks I would be willing to take the dive. Right now that hasn't been on a model under 10 grand... but I'll keep looking.

My favorite ever was an early 90's Custom 24 in a faded whale blue. It played like a dream. The & grand price tag was the only stopper for me. One of these days that won't.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That. fucking. quilt.

:holy:

Private stock Bahama Mama... there were 5 of them made in various models. I LOVE that color and will be getting a guitar in that finish sooner or later.

Front and back pics of the 5

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6864901270_8447d9f8b1_o.jpg
    6864901270_8447d9f8b1_o.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 7011110975_c549880f78_o.jpg
    7011110975_c549880f78_o.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: MFB

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Private stock Bahama Mama... there were 5 of them made in various models. I LOVE that color and will be getting a guitar in that finish sooner or later.

Amen dude - those were spec'd by my friend Brent from The Guitar Shop up in Canada!

He gets the best of the best, there is no denying it and the Mama's are a great example. He has a new series being finished now that he's calling the "earth" series to represent the world ending this year (lolz silly Mayans!).

this was posted on mylespaul.com:

I know what you mean... about a year or two they surprised him with a beautiful singlecut. He also has one of the nicest PS hollowbodies I've ever seen. Crazy nice burl top!

soliloquy

Reaction score
/\ cant say i like the maple necks on those. visually they seem beautiful, but from an instrument point, i just HATE the feel of maple necks. but i still wouldn't kick that out of bed, or any of them for that matter.

I've tried quite a few PRS guitars and although they often have stunning beauty and always top grade craftsmanship, I've only played a few I really enjoyed. I just resolved that they just aren't for me. The killer for me is the large heal joint on them. I prefer the older pre-factory PRS models and some of the Private Stock I've been lucky enough to mess with. Some of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen were PRS 10 tops. No doubt I am a sucker for the faded blues, aquamarines, teal/blue blends, eriza verdes, and my all time favorite: glacier blue. Just stupid beautiful 3-D quilts, bursts, and flames.

I've never been a huge fan of the pickups, any of them, but I will agree there are some styles they just nail. I'm still hunting to see if I can find "the right one" for me. The newer artist packages, one-offs, and models show me promise for my tastes (not so much the prices though!). The P22 is of interest; I'm glad you can get a solid body with a piezo system outside of the Private Stock. If I can find the right combo of feel (smaller heal joint) and looks I would be willing to take the dive. Right now that hasn't been on a model under 10 grand... but I'll keep looking.

My favorite ever was an early 90's Custom 24 in a faded whale blue. It played like a dream. The & grand price tag was the only stopper for me. One of these days that won't.

if the neck joint seems to irk you, why not try the singlecut guitars? they may not have a 24 fret version of them, but they have some GREAT fret access and are just a joy to play if you find the one that speaks to you.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
/\ cant say i like the maple necks on those. visually they seem beautiful, but from an instrument point, i just HATE the feel of maple necks. but i still wouldn't kick that out of bed, or any of them for that matter.

You must have the most sensitive fingers in the universe to be able to tell the difference between maple and mahogany on a finished neck :lol:

soliloquy

Reaction score
/\ i often play unplugged, and maple necks, unplugged, just dont sound right. and yes, i am a believer that pickups make most of the sound/tone differences (amps too, just anything electronic related), but when playing unplugged, to me, maple necks to sound awkward :s

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
HHHHNNNNNNGGGGGHHHHH

ALL MY MONEY, ALL MY FUCKING MONEY FOR THAT GUITAR! :scream:

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
if the neck joint seems to irk you, why not try the singlecut guitars? they may not have a 24 fret version of them, but they have some GREAT fret access and are just a joy to play if you find the one that speaks to you.

True, I like the feel of the current SCs to the others, but I still like to grab the bottom of the neck with my thumb, as opposed to having it on the side. I have smaller hands, and it's just a personal preference. I have a knock off LP that has a small heal set in neck. It's perfect.

But the old 85-93 PRS models are perfect. Just expensive. I'll snag one because I also love their tone and sustain, and they feel older or vintage, which is attractive. I dunno I'm just picky with this brand.

@ Technomancer: you are absolutely killing me with those pics.

Reaction score
I have a 24 Custom. What I like about it is the versatility in regards of tone that you can get out of it. I think if you have the right expectations for one of these they it can be the perfect guitar, especially if you want to play something like rock, jazz, blues. You can get a decent high gain tone out of it, too. But imho the PRS pickups are not made for this.

The neckprofile is very comfortable, but doesn't feel like it's made for fast shredding.

What I don't like about most PRSs is:
-the tremolo is not very stable, 2-3 divebombs and the tuning will be off
-the pickup selector switch

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
You can get a decent high gain tone out of it, too. But imho the PRS pickups are not made for this.

What I don't like about most PRSs is:
-the tremolo is not very stable, 2-3 divebombs and the tuning will be off
-the pickup selector switch

- Pickup swap - plain and simple. Stock pickups on a guitar are catered to what a majority of its buyers will play and with PRS, metal tends to not be
number 1 in that department which is fine. I'd say my Tremonti pickup set is high-gain enough to compete with my Bareknuckle Aftermaths :2c:

- What year is your PRS? I ask because the tuners have changed throughout the years. My PRS have Phase II locking tuners and even after abusing the
bar, its still perfectly in tune.

- I am assuming you mean the 5-way rotary? Its awesome but I guess not for anyone. They make a 3 way drop in kit for anyone who wants to change it.

I feel like people are affraid to change their instruments to cater them better, especially if its something like a PRS. These things are built like tanks, so dont be affraid to hack it up and make it your own :metal:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since I'm posting some pics, one more PRS finish I really love: White Tiger

attachment.php

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 731

ExousRulez

Banned
Reaction score
On a online site to order a custom 24 they have a rosewood neck option for 445$, how do they finish the neck?

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Big PRS guy here...though I've had some affairs with other guitar brands over the years, the ones that always stay the same are my few PRSi.

I've always been a HUGE fan of Emil Werstler's Charcoal Cherry Burst...when Mike got his CU22 refinished in the color, I was sooo happy to see PRS was able to do it again.

Then this popped up for sale...let's just say it took all but 30 seconds to the sold...come to papa :hbang:

The coolest thing...the binding is stained charcoal...such a unique touch!

KGrHqJqoE-ZHeJINWBPmdWDF39Q60_57.jpg

KGrHqNncE9fid-UUDBPmdWMEBt60_57.jpg

KGrHqRpQE9ePUsmdBPmdWWejV60_57.jpg

NGD with better pics when she lands!

j_m_s

Reaction score
This is a CU22. Currently has Tom Anderson pickups inside it.. these were taken when it was stock.

Originally didn't like the neck on it but I've come to like it quite a lot! It's got the wide-fat profile. Very sweet.

41331_436987323024_506748024_4819926_6097868_n.jpg

221986_10150179882923025_506748024_6723292_5680938_n.jpg

45220_436987293024_506748024_4819925_1050693_n.jpg

215250_10150179882783025_506748024_6723287_7728174_n.jpg

223562_10150179882588025_506748024_6723282_4907533_n.jpg

Live pic of my bro using it at a conference!

375236_10150433433958025_506748024_8475759_88557748_n.jpg

')