PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I got one of these as a present for getting all A*s on my GCSEs.

Was stolen within a few months.

Cried for so long.

paul-reed-smith-20th-anniversary-standard-24-prs_4834574.jpg

Damn that seriously sucks man. :( The satin standards were awesome guitars, I always wanted a charcoal one with birds like that too. :wub: No chance of recovering yours? :scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adeamus

sucks.
Reaction score
I'll let Paul Smith know that we should stop using the "Gay" bird inlays and stick with the "Straight" ones. How can you tell if they are gay birds anyways? Do they fly crooked or have too much pearl in the shell material?

Shit dude, if being gay makes them more pearly and fabulous I'll take them starting at around Liberace levels.

TheOddGoat

Reaction score
This was several years ago...

We put out notices everywhere and stuff but no luck.

No microchip or anything either.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand how when ESP makes $2000 and $3000 guitars they're still hip and "Metal", but when PRS does it they're just catering to doctors and lawyers.

PRS and ESP have nearly identical price points, but somehow ESP is able to escape the stigma. :scratch:

thedonal

Reaction score
I think that they're very beautiful guitars and can see why they are revered, but I've played a few and never really connected with one. Not sure why. I think it might be the 'in between' scale length.

I was a little surprised that it became so well used in the metal and 'nu' scene in the late 90s/early 2000's. Maybe it was because of the reverence and an attractive expensive instrument to get with your advance, along with a Mesa (probably Rectifier) amp! (I dread to think what an advance would be these days- pennies, probably!)

The last one I had a go of really needed some work- It was a well gigged and used guitar and the frets felt so rough I had to check they weren't rusty!!

soliloquy

Reaction score
I don't understand how when ESP makes $2000 and $3000 guitars they're still hip and "Metal", but when PRS does it they're just catering to doctors and lawyers.

PRS and ESP have nearly identical price points, but somehow ESP is able to escape the stigma. :scratch:

:scratch:

maybe different price points available in different countries?
like esp is much cheaper in uk or australia than it is in america, and same is true with the reverse?

though going by the esps i find here, which are usually the eclipse (most common ones i find in my area) or M or something usually fly around the 1500ish mark. most prs that are in my area usually fly around the 1800-2300ish mark

though i still think they are expensive, however, quality instruments, so price doesn't really bother me on em...i just dont 'feel' them connect to me :s

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:scratch:

maybe different price points available in different countries?
like esp is much cheaper in uk or australia than it is in america, and same is true with the reverse?

though going by the esps i find here, which are usually the eclipse (most common ones i find in my area) or M or something usually fly around the 1500ish mark. most prs that are in my area usually fly around the 1800-2300ish mark

though i still think they are expensive, however, quality instruments, so price doesn't really bother me on em...i just dont 'feel' them connect to me :s

The pricing is different in the EU and Asia, as PRS is an import over there which is hit heavily by taxes, but I was more responding to the guys here in North America, which are here discussing the pricing.

The ESP Standard series run ~$1600 (the NTB is still $1300, but it's ULTRA barebones), while the PRS Starla and Mira start a little less at ~$1500. When you move up to the higher end models like the non-base ESPs you're looking at around $2000 to $2800, which is on par with the bulk of the production USA PRS lineup (Tremonti, NF, 305, CU24, DGT, etc.).

Then when you hit the top of the heap, the ESP Japan models can top $4k, just like the PRS 10s, McCarty, Santana, etc.

Both PRS and ESP regularly release limited models that can go for over five figures, it's not at all uncommon for either brand.

The prices are amazingly similar, maybe off by $100 or so here and there, but $100 on a $1500+ guitar isn't a huge margin.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score

It's all about image my friend.

Same deal with full customs and the like, regardless if they are actually all that good or not.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I think the issue is that the ESP users who complain about PRSi prices aren't the guys playing the Japanese custom shop models, rather the low end LTD's.

I also think PRS gets a lot of slack because like you said, they aren't just "metal" guitars like ESPs are mostly geared to, they are multifacited instruments that get an insanely wide spectrum of sounds. Thats not to say you can't play styles other than metal on an ESP, but since most come with EMGs you know what I mean ;)

I'll be honest though, PRS pickups have always had just enough bite for me to play high gain stuff easily without instantly needing a swap like most guys. I have Aftermath's in my Custom22 and I can say I enjoy my PRS Tremonti pickups just as much, if not slightly more, than the BKPs.

Mathrez

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy a SE Custom 24. But I don't really uses tremolos, does anyone know if it's possible to find them with fixed bridges?

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy a SE Custom 24. But I don't really uses tremolos, does anyone know if it's possible to find them with fixed bridges?

The SE custom's only come with tremolo's - you can easily block it with a Tremel-no though! I believe the SE Tim Mahoney is the only fixed bridge, double cut SE unless you wanted a baritone.

Also - don't forget to send away for your "Thank You" package http://www.prsguitars.com/summer2012/

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Nice guitars but for me ruined by the fanboy-ism that can surround them...
Really? Most of the nonsense that I read about PRS are by people who have never, and will never, play or own one... :scratch:

Maybe because most PRS owners tend to be either musos or generally a bit older then the "my ltd 107.5 aint gay fag shit liek them prs loool dentsts" crowd who complain if a guitar costs more than $1000 and they aren't allowed to play it when they visit GC.

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
I was just putzing around on the PRS site and noticed the NF3. I have never seen a PRS before that has grabbed me in such a way. I checked out a few videos and the sound is completely different to anything I have heard before either. It is basically like a really thick strat mixed with a bright "woman-tone" style HH guitar.

And when I read that you can order it with gold hardware and birds, it was game over.

front.jpg

main1.jpg

There is either a CS Schecter or an NF3 in my future. :eek:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just putzing around on the PRS site and noticed the NF3. I have never seen a PRS before that has grabbed me in such a way. I checked out a few videos and the sound is completely different to anything I have heard before either. It is basically like a really thick strat mixed with a bright "woman-tone" style HH guitar.

And when I read that you can order it with gold hardware and birds, it was game over.

front.jpg

main1.jpg

There is either a CS Schecter or an NF3 in my future. :eek:

I had a DC-3 for a short period (same guitar as the NF3, different pickups) and if the neck had been a bit thinner, it would be my main strat guitar. It sounds SO good! It played great too, just too thick for me to play for very long. :(

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
I suppose the regular neck is a bit thick (I think it is the same thickness as the Wide/Fat neck), but I will try one out at the store tomorrow to see how it feels.

I can't imagine it would be any thicker than a VOS strat though.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
I had a DC-3 for a short period (same guitar as the NF3, different pickups) and if the neck had been a bit thinner, it would be my main strat guitar. It sounds SO good! It played great too, just too thick for me to play for very long.

Dude....PTC does neck carves, cmon! :fawk:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
The pricing is different in the EU and Asia, as PRS is an import over there which is hit heavily by taxes, but I was more responding to the guys here in North America, which are here discussing the pricing.

The ESP Standard series run ~$1600 (the NTB is still $1300, but it's ULTRA barebones), while the PRS Starla and Mira start a little less at ~$1500. When you move up to the higher end models like the non-base ESPs you're looking at around $2000 to $2800, which is on par with the bulk of the production USA PRS lineup (Tremonti, NF, 305, CU24, DGT, etc.).

Then when you hit the top of the heap, the ESP Japan models can top $4k, just like the PRS 10s, McCarty, Santana, etc.

Both PRS and ESP regularly release limited models that can go for over five figures, it's not at all uncommon for either brand.

The prices are amazingly similar, maybe off by $100 or so here and there, but $100 on a $1500+ guitar isn't a huge margin.

Well I think both ESP and PRS Kick ass and they are very consistent and well built guitars, so I don;t complain about either of them or their prices :lol:

Great guitars come at a cost, but I would rather spend the money on a stellar instrument then one that is sub par.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude....PTC does neck carves, cmon! :fawk:

Haha it would have cost 2/3 of what I had into that guitar. :lol: Call me when they get reasonable on that option! :fawk: ;) I love PRS, and you know that, but for what they were charging it was fiscally irresponsible to continue down that road when I could move it on to someone who could enjoy it as-is and I could bring back home my moss pearl McRosie instead. :D Believe me, it worked out for the best and it was just a PRS replacing a PRS. :wub:

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Haha it would have cost 2/3 of what I had into that guitar. :lol: Call me when they get reasonable on that option! :fawk: ;) I love PRS, and you know that, but for what they were charging it was fiscally irresponsible to continue down that road when I could move it on to someone who could enjoy it as-is and I could bring back home my moss pearl McRosie instead. :D Believe me, it worked out for the best and it was just a PRS replacing a PRS.

Yeah I understand. I mentally process it more as $XXX is going to make my guitar PERFECT for me, instead of forcing me to go PS so it's personally worth it. But if you process things as $XXX ontop of $XXXX just for a feature of a guitar that is merely part of the collection, I can see where you are coming from.

Plus you DO have custom built Thorns to dull the pain :wub:

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
My PRS experiences are hit or miss....

Ive picked up 4000$ customs, played em, they just were like "blah" to me. Nothing memorable other then the absolute gorgeous tone woods.

I've also played PRS's that physically pained me to put down! Some are just the best instruments on the planet.

I dont know what hte difference is, but as a brand I respect their inherent quality and stunning looks on ALL their guitars. Some companies find it acceptable to release a 2500$ guitar with orange peel on the top, cruddy fret work, or worse, Ive NEVER seen a legit PRS that had ANY QC problems.

')