PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MstrH

Arrogantly Average
Reaction score
I generally don't like PRS's looks. And I always associate them with that dope fiend Santana, and Al DiMeola's rainbow atrocity. And their dumb neck joint is only marginally better than a Gibson. Many of the pix on this thread are quite nice, however (and quite expensive I'm sure!).

I've had the opportunity to play 6 real PRS's (not SE's. sorry!) and I'll be damned, each one played like butter. Sooo smooth, super low action, no fret buzz. Made me feel like I was a much better player!:yesway:

So, besides the neck joint, I really can't knock them. Even though I still can't bring myself to "join the club"!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I generally don't like PRS's looks. And I always associate them with that dope fiend Santana, and Al DiMeola's rainbow atrocity. And their dumb neck joint is only marginally better than a Gibson. Many of the pix on this thread are quite nice, however (and quite expensive I'm sure!).

I've had the opportunity to play 6 real PRS's (not SE's. sorry!) and I'll be damned, each one played like butter. Sooo smooth, super low action, no fret buzz. Made me feel like I was a much better player!:yesway:

So, besides the neck joint, I really can't knock them. Even though I still can't bring myself to "join the club"!

Do it. Embrace the green. :shred:
dscn0878f.jpg

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
No worries bro. :yesway: I'm not sure how far Rocket Music is for you, but the guy I bought the P22 from said they seem to get some nice ones in from time to time. I don't typically check their stock often since it's a bit of a hike for me to get down there, but they're down in Blacksburg so it might not be too far from you to swing by the shop to check a bunch out in person to pick out the best playing/sounding one if that's what you're looking for? :D

Rocket Music - PRS Guitars (In Stock) - all

Doesn't look like they have any P22's in stock right now though, unless maybe they're on order and just haven't shipped yet. :)

If you're looking online for dealers that have a ton of new ones coming into stock (since these guys are all pretty high-volume PRS dealers), check out the following shops:

Music-49 (one of my faves, tiny dealer that ONLY stocks PRS currently and they get a LOT of one-offs/special pieces): PRS Guitars, Guitar Amplifiers items in music 49 inc store on eBay!

Willcutt Guitars (stock a TON of PRS, lots and lots of nice ones, my P22 was custom-ordered by the previous owner through them): PRS Paul Reed Smith Guitars

Martin Music (lots of nice PRS, lots of new stock): Paul Reed Smith | Martin Music

The Guitar Shop (Canadian shop, never bought from them because of shipping and whatnot, but they have a LOT of nice PRS in stock as well): The Guitar Shop - Featured Products

Wild West Guitars (order a lot of really nice stuff from PRS): Wild West Guitars

Those are all the places I would check first if I were on a serious search for buying a new PRS. :D

Thanks for the info man. Rocket is a good 3-4 hour drive from me. Good store though, I remember when I was at Virginia Tech and would go their after classes to try out the PRS and Suhrs they had in stock, good times :lol:

Willcutt has my attention right now. They have an incredible amount of PRSi in stock, as well as some Music Man and other guitars. Loving the Modern Eagles they have.

I also know that the Axe Palace, Limdapl and Matt's Music have a good stock as well. That is the thing about PRS, they have a good dealer network

I hope by this time next year I will actually have a few PRS guitars on me, once business begins to grow and develop. I have been looking at Nick;s photos on Facebook...not helping the GAS at all :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Nick and Matt seem to get in a lot of killer stock too, forgot to mention them as I listed of the "usual suspects" from the PRS forum folks. :lol:

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Yeah Nick and Matt seem to get in a lot of killer stock too, forgot to mention them as I listed of the "usual suspects" from the PRS forum folks. :lol:

Yeah, they have a very small stock of PRS but they tend to be pretty nice. I don't think either one ever has more than 5 PRSi in stock.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Yeah, they have a very small stock of PRS but they tend to be pretty nice. I don't think either one ever has more than 5 PRSi in stock.

I know Nick had about 20 something the time of his summer sale. And Matt is usually a little lower, I think he main things are customs from Suhr, Anderson, ESP and Jackson

Willcutt just blows my mind with what they have :lol:

primitiverebelworld

Reaction score
I have loved the sound and feel of the neck on few SE/s in a local store but hated the flat tops. I assume carved top would not dig into my picking hand so badly. Also wtf is with that wraparound bridge which wont allow to change intonation individually on every string:nuts:

I would still make a custom24 SE my only sixer if my stuff wasnt for 7strings.

Murmel

Reaction score
I think they make great looking guitars, and they sound excellent. I think they play awful though.

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Willcutt just blows my mind with what they have :lol:

Yeah, no shit dude they are out of control :lol:

I mean listen - when a model gets discountinued years ago and you had so many in stock that you still have brand new models available I think you may have too large of an inventory hahaha

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
:squint: :lol:

It's not the neck profile that's the problem, I honestly can't pin-point the problem.

If it's not the contour, perhaps the radius? Beyond that, there's not a lot that's different about their playability other than really nice fretwork from the PRS factory. :) The fretboard on both of my 2012 PRS is immaculate, they did an absolutely wonderful job with the fret dressing. :D

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
:squint:

It's not the neck profile that's the problem, I honestly can't pin-point the problem.

They're too pretty - you cant stop looking at the maple top so your fingers get lost. Don't worry man, happens to the best of us :rofl:

Murmel

Reaction score
If it's not the contour, perhaps the radius? Beyond that, there's not a lot that's different about their playability other than really nice fretwork from the PRS factory. :) The fretboard on both of my 2012 PRS is immaculate, they did an absolutely wonderful job with the fret dressing. :D

I'm sure that they ARE amazing guitars, no doubt about it. Some people just aren't meant for every guitar I guess.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I'm sure that they ARE amazing guitars, no doubt about it. Some people just aren't meant for every guitar I guess.

Very true. I personally can't stand thin necks like the Wizard one, I much prefer more rounded necks. When I picked up my PRS for the first time at the store, I knew this had to be my next guitar. It felt like it was custom made for me, that's how much I enjoyed the feel and playability. You could pick up the same guitar and absolutely despise it. It's like people who like Coke or Pepsi and hate the other, it's all about personal tastes. That's also why it's impossible to find a guitar when you first start out - so many companies, so many options :wallbash:

Latest posts

')