PRS Lovefest

• Thread starter Devotion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Yeah man that should be sweet! There's a dude who did that to his back on BaM who loved the results! Aside from wanting to add a Tusq nut to mine, I am really happy with it. Maybe I just got a "good" one, but even out of the box it was a very nice guitar, especially for the price. :yesway:

I honestly love my Mushok, regardless of my initial impression. Yeah, it sounds dead acoustically, but with the D-Sonic bridge and tuned to drop F# through a TS9 boosted DSL100 it sounds beastly! Though I did just find out the Grover locking tuners I installed don't allow a .068 to fit properly... I'm pissed about this, I don't wanna replace them all and don't know if I can file out a locking tuner. I'm fiending for another in the brown finish so I can toss some Nitro Hemis in and do dropped F.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly love my Mushok, regardless of my initial impression. Yeah, it sounds dead acoustically, but with the D-Sonic bridge and tuned to drop F# through a TS9 boosted DSL100 it sounds beastly! Though I did just find out the Grover locking tuners I installed don't allow a .068 to fit properly... I'm pissed about this, I don't wanna replace them all and don't know if I can file out a locking tuner. I'm fiending for another in the brown finish so I can toss some Nitro Hemis in and do dropped F.

FWIW I installed Schaller locking tuners on mine and it seems that depending on which run your tuners were from, they would either allow huge strings through or not allow anything bigger than like a .052 through. Unfortunately, mine appears to be the run that only allowed smaller strings to pass through, but I carefully drilled it and I threw a .056 on there in Drop B but I could easily fit a bigger string than that now if I decide to go bigger in the future. If the Grovers work the same way the Schallers do, it should be relatively easily to drill them out. :yesway: Took me like 3 minutes going slowly. :D As Dan told me, "you already have the pilot hole!" :lol:

Musza

Reaction score
New knobs for my cherry:

prsss.jpg

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
I played an SC58 today and a Custom 24. Both played well (the CU24 better than the SC58) but I am still shocked at how there is no movement in the tops on PRS guitars at all.

I must have seen close to 8 10- or Artist-tops today and not a single one of them moved in the light like any Les Paul/Musicman Axis top I have ever seen (is it because the wood is dried a certain way?). Then again, the figure of the wood seems to be "highlighted" by black accents, so maybe the finish is hiding the movement of the wood. Thankfully the guitars play so well you never even notice the tops when you have them in your hands.

PRS' aren't the greatest guitars in the world but they do feel the most solid. And I love that trem too, it's amazing. They feel like the kind of guitar you want to take to a gig, maybe not the most sentimental or specialized but very reliable. I am very pleased with the quality of the 2011+ models to say the least.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a USA PRS with figured tops that didn't move in the light - Hell, my '06 CE22 has a mild flame, but it's deep as hell and can completely change based on the light. All the 10+ tops I've seen have been even crazier.

Enselmis

Reaction score
I played a 513 yesterday with an all rosewood neck. Absolutely butter. Probably the nicest guitar I've ever had the fortune of playing.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I've noticed on a couple of the newer finishes, they have been using a LOT of black in the step before staining the top and it almost seems to take away some of the 3D effect to the figuring of the top. It's not in all finishes nor is it every top, but there are definitely a few where that is the case, I've noticed it as well and it's moreso in the past few years too.

Reaction score
All the super high end PRS stuff I've played over the last 2 years has sucked. Like there's no way I would pay more than 1.5k for some of it. The budget stuff is fine though.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
All the super high end PRS stuff I've played over the last 2 years has sucked. Like there's no way I would pay more than 1.5k for some of it. The budget stuff is fine though.

All of the PRSi I have played over the past two years has been incredible, as always nothing wrong with them at all.

Elaborate on the issues you found. May I remind the forum that you one said recent ESPs had QC issues then you had one a few weeks later:lol:

Reaction score
All of the PRSi I have played over the past two years has been incredible, as always nothing wrong with them at all.

Elaborate on the issues you found. May I remind the forum that you one said recent ESPs had QC issues then you had one a few weeks later:lol:

No, we were screwing with you in chat about the ESP stuff because we wanted to troll you :p

But yeah, I dunno, the shop I've tried these at has all of their guitars set up well (usually!) and for some reason all the uber high end PRS stuff like doesn't seem to be all that great. :shrug:

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
No, we were screwing with you in chat about the ESP stuff because we wanted to troll you :p

But yeah, I dunno, the shop I've tried these at has all of their guitars set up well (usually!) and for some reason all the uber high end PRS stuff like doesn't seem to be all that great. :shrug:

:lol: I know.

Probably in need of a setup or maybe a prefernce thing. Some people just don't like them, and that's cool, there is a reason why there are so many high end guitars out there. Doesn't make them "bad" just different.

I also remember once my local tech told me that most guitars just need a proper setup to make them amazing, so that could be the issue.

Reaction score
:lol: I know.

Probably in need of a setup or maybe a prefernce thing. Some people just don't like them, and that's cool, there is a reason why there are so many high end guitars out there. Doesn't make them "bad" just different.

I also remember once my local tech told me that most guitars just need a proper setup to make them amazing, so that could be the issue.

Yeah maybe it is me, but I usually get along fine with various neck profiles. :shrug:

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Say hello to Jenny; full name is Genesis! The reason I call it that is because green=the color of life/ this guitar has helped me create more music than any other instrument I own. I swear I sit down with it and in 10 minutes there's a new song idea already forming.

dscn0857eq.jpg

Reaction score
Maybe I just got a "good" one, but even out of the box it was a very nice guitar, especially for the price. :yesway:

I feel the same way about my Mushok baritone. I have neglected to do any modding to it, but I hope to send it to PTC someday for some nice upgrades.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I feel the same way about my Mushok baritone. I have neglected to do any modding to it, but I hope to send it to PTC someday for some nice upgrades.

Tuners, nut and pickups. You'll be all set sir! :D I've done two of the three and it's already made it a much better guitar, but the nut is still on the to-do list. :yesway:

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I've noticed on a couple of the newer finishes, they have been using a LOT of black in the step before staining the top and it almost seems to take away some of the 3D effect to the figuring of the top. It's not in all finishes nor is it every top, but there are definitely a few where that is the case, I've noticed it as well and it's moreso in the past few years too.
I've noticed this with Carvins too. The more the wood is stained and sanded back, the less movement there is. Pretty sure that there's a trade-off.

My CuRo 24 Artist pack is a light burst so moves a lot. I had a darker stained Carvin with a monster AAAAA quilt that didn't move much, and the most 3D guitars I've owned were unstained Koa or Sapele...

blister7321

Reaction score
i get some epic tones outta this sumbitch when i play it at GC

very high on my list of want

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
PRSSECustom2201.jpg

This is by FAR not the most beautiful PRS in this thread, and it's only an SE - but it's mine.

However, it might be one of the better deals in this thread. It's a 2007 SE Custom 22, hard tail version. It came to me pre-upgraded by the previous owner:

* Tonepros adjustable wraparound locking bridge
* mini-Schaller locking tuners
* American McCarty pickups

only $400 + shipping! (and that included the PRS gig bag) Thank you ebay!

I like the tobacco burst (though the poly finish... meh), and I love the the smooth dark rosewood board with moons. The main thing: the neck feels perfect! I didn't expect to love the wide fat, but I do.

So, consider this SE a McCarty light. (plays and sounds great too).

xeL

Reaction score
2gwvtwh.jpg

2pzyxib.jpg

s2y8sl.jpg

Got this CE24 this morning after 4 months of It circulating the international postage system between the UK and Hawaii, had some problems with delivery notices/customs which resulted In It being returned to the sender.

It needs a major setup and time to adjust but It sounds so much thicker and clearer than my 2006 CE24, I think the abundance of maple along with the modifications really help the sound a lot.

-1997 CE24
-Regular Neck Carve
-Mahogany body with Maple cap (Or so I'm led to believe)
-Reliced Nitro Maple Neck with Maple Fretboard (Dunlop SS frets)
-New nut, Graphtec saddles and McCarty switching
-Non original pickups (Need to take a look when I restring)

grunge782

Reaction score
Great guitars that sound excellent from clean to hi-gain, but they just aren't my style. I still am impressed by some of them though.

')