PRS Mark Holcomb SE Model!

• Thread starter IbbyAddict
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Yeah, it does look a little tight.

As for why? I have a tendency to worry about things I may or may not do. I like knowing what my options are.

Edit: PS. That guitar in your avatar is beautiful.
Totally understanable, and you're welcome.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Realistically.... probably not. It may fit, but I really doubt it. To be honest, I'm not sure why you would want to change the pickups, let alone Fishmans in a guitar like this. The alpha/omegas are basically what make this guitar.
2j8ufl.jpg

I agree 100%. Those pickups are awesome.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Realistically.... probably not. It may fit, but I really doubt it. To be honest, I'm not sure why you would want to change the pickups, let alone Fishmans in a guitar like this. The alpha/omegas are basically what make this guitar.
2j8ufl.jpg

I agree 100%. Those pickups are awesome.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone here had the chance to compare a normal Holcomb SE (satin neck) with one of the unfinished neck models? (ebony veneer, trampas green)

The neck on the guitar at my local GC is by far the stickiest neck I've ever felt, but I'm not sure if that's because of being a floor model for a year+ without cleaning or the finish itself as I've never owned a satin finished neck (only gloss/natural).

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Just wondering, has anyone here had the chance to compare a normal Holcomb SE (satin neck) with one of the unfinished neck models? (ebony veneer, trampas green)

The neck on the guitar at my local GC is by far the stickiest neck I've ever felt, but I'm not sure if that's because of being a floor model for a year+ without cleaning or the finish itself as I've never owned a satin finished neck (only gloss/natural).
Yup which is why I went with the trampas green. My Holcomb SE Trampas green is super smooth like any other tung oiled natural neck. Super glad I went with it over the black one.

Masoo2

Reaction score
Yup which is why I went with the trampas green. My Holcomb SE Trampas green is super smooth like any other tung oiled natural neck. Super glad I went with it over the black one.
Is it worth trying to find another example of one semi-local and see how it turns out?

Cause I'm not sure if I want to drop $1000 on one of the ebony veneer models and I'm really not a fan of trampas green, not to mention you can find used briskets for $500-$600 if you look around.

Did you get to play both or did you just go by gut instinct/past experience?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Is it worth trying to find another example of one semi-local and see how it turns out?

Cause I'm not sure if I want to drop $1000 on one of the ebony veneer models and I'm really not a fan of trampas green, not to mention you can find used briskets for $500-$600 if you look around.

Did you get to play both or did you just go by gut instinct/past experience?
I've played both, there is definitely a major difference. I'm sure if you cleaned the neck on the one you played it would be a lot smoother, but still not as smooth as a natural neck like the one on the Trampas green and Ebony ones.

Chad

Reaction score
Got a great deal on a used, but like new Holcomb SE. Wasn't sure how I'd be about the pickups, but I absolutely love them. This thing is near flawless. I wasn't really having tuning problems but went ahead and replaced the nut with a Tusq XL. Also, put on some cosmo black Gotoh knobs and ruthenium Schaller strap lock buttons.

I was a bit surprised how far back I had to adjust the low string saddle, but intonation is fine.

IMG_2995.jpg IMG_2996.jpg IMG_2997.jpg

Chad

Reaction score
I have this issue on a few of my guitars. Who knows, maybe I'm intonating the guitar incorrectly. I have a feeling some other part of the set up is to blame.

I dunno. I've played around with the setup quite a bit and that seems to be where that saddle wants to sit. Everything seems to be working fine. The only problem is that the low string intonation screw was so long that it might interfere when trying to feed a string through the bridge during string changes. I ended up doing a couple small mods:

1. Rather than snip the stock spring, I shortened an extra pickup spring I had. Now that I know where the intonation sits, I could probably go ahead and snip the stock spring for a color match.

2. I took an extra, similar black screw I had (from my RC car racing days) and filed it down to a shorter length. I then tested it in a matching nut as I didn't want any chance of messing up the saddle threads. All good. Then I hit it with a black sharpie to make the filed portion black in color and installed. The "D" string saddle screw was pretty long too. I put the former low "E" saddle screw in its place. I now have an extra screw.

All is good. Here is a pic with the shortened screw and spring. That's a 54 gauge D'Addario EXL tuned to B.

IMG_3066.jpg

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
This thread, your comments, and a bit of serendipity caused this to be purchased. So it's all your fault. https://imgur.com/31uIQKq if pic doesn't show. Limited release macassar ebony satin finish. Booyah.

31uIQKq

damn that's nice, wish some of those limited run ones were in Canada so I could finance it haha.

Ignoramus

Reaction score
So I got my NGD yesterday evening (from 2 posts up). This.thing.rocks.

Super smooth satin finish, fast neck, great pickups, impressive craftsmanship, and toneful as hell. If there's a flaw, I can't see it. Mine came from the limited run mostly sold by Brian's Guitars. Most of my guitars are PRS and Gibson, so this fretboard radius is a welcome change. Makes you wanna play fast! I have a TUSQ nut standing by, but so far I'm not seeing the problems the internet has warned me about.

I'm now a convert of the SE line, if this is representative of their work.

Bukkake-King

Reaction score
I don't know if you guys can help me. I got the Whale Blue satin finish one - it's a beautiful guitar, and I love the sound. The bridge pickup particularly is incredible, the upper-fret access is effortless.
People keep saying how this thing plays like a dream, and in my experience, it just doesn't. I'm an Ibanez guy, so I know I'm used to a different kind of guitar, but I've also got an LP copy that plays tons faster. I find the action on the PRS stiff, it doesn't feel quick to play, and bending is a struggle. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've played around with the saddle height and the truss rod, but I can't get the action any lower without fret buzz. The action is definitely lower at the nut - would it make sense to get a higher cut nut, so that I can flatten the relief a little and lower the bridge saddles? (I realise you may need pictures to know, can provide later)

I've got like a week to decide if I'm returning it. I don't really want to because other than that I love it.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
I don't know if you guys can help me. I got the Whale Blue satin finish one - it's a beautiful guitar, and I love the sound. The bridge pickup particularly is incredible, the upper-fret access is effortless.
People keep saying how this thing plays like a dream, and in my experience, it just doesn't. I'm an Ibanez guy, so I know I'm used to a different kind of guitar, but I've also got an LP copy that plays tons faster. I find the action on the PRS stiff, it doesn't feel quick to play, and bending is a struggle. Has anyone else had this problem?
I've played around with the saddle height and the truss rod, but I can't get the action any lower without fret buzz. The action is definitely lower at the nut - would it make sense to get a higher cut nut, so that I can flatten the relief a little and lower the bridge saddles? (I realise you may need pictures to know, can provide later)

I've got like a week to decide if I'm returning it. I don't really want to because other than that I love it.

I'd say go for a lighter string gauge if you're struggling with bends as the scale length is longer than your usual PRS. Also I've seen lots of reviews saying the nut on the SE Holcomb's aren't great so I'd replace that anyway just from a quality standpoint. They aren't that expensive either. As for a higher cut nut, I'm not sure on the physics myself - someone here who knows what they're talking about can hopefully chime in on that one.

Bukkake-King

Reaction score
I'd say go for a lighter string gauge if you're struggling with bends as the scale length is longer than your usual PRS.
I'm tempted to do that, but it seems odd. I'm running 11-56 D'addarios, Drop C, which is pretty standard right? I've not heard anyone else say they have this issue. I don't like the idea that I just have weak as hell fingers haha!
Most Ibanez are 25.5" I think and I've never had trouble. Maybe they generally had lower string guages I guess.

Last edited:

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm tempted to do that, but it seems odd. I'm running 11-56 D'addarios, Drop C, which is pretty standard right? I've not heard anyone else say they have this issue. I don't like the idea that I just have weak as hell fingers haha!
Most Ibanez are 25.5" I think and I've never had trouble. Maybe they generally had lower string guages I guess.

It all depends. I usually use a 10-52 set for Drop C but I've actually more recently switched to a 49. Give it a shot and see if you like a lower gauge; worst case scenario you're out a $5 set of strings and 20 minutes of your time.

FWIW- I am also an Ibanez guy. All my other guitars save for a custom and the Holcomb are Ibanez.

jwoods986

Reaction score

They come from the factory in Drop C, but with 10-46, so if you didn't make adjustments, then you would definitely have tighter strings.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
I use 11 - 56 for my 25 scale PRSi and going back and forth from a shreddier/superstrat style guitar, it can still feel a bit tight (though I generally like a bit more string tension than most). For 25.5 on the holcomb, you should be able to get by with a lower string gauge without tension/action issues.