PRS MT 15: Buffered or Unbuffered FX Loop?

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the MT15 has a buffered FX loop?

I run 20 foot cables both into the send and return of the loop, and I'm considering getting a buffer pedal for that part of the chain. However, I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual or online if the loop is buffered or not already.

(On a side note, I switched the FX loop tube to a 12AU7 and it is very quiet. Takes pedals like a champ too. Can you tell I love this head?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
if it's a true tube loop then it's "buffered" in so far as it's impedance matched. It's probably best to call this type of loop in a tube amp "active" instead of a passive signal output.

But if you run 20 feet of cable it's best to get another solid state buffer.

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score
It's buffered. I believe AC coupled cathode follower output into a plate output gain stage recovery.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the input you two. With that in mind, I wonder if an additional buffer I my FX loop chain would be at all necessary then.

Here is what I got in the FX loop:
20 ft MXR Cable > MXR 10 band EQ > DigiTech Chorus > Boss NS-2 Noise Gate > Boss Tremolo > TC Mini Flashback > TC Mini Hall of Fame > 20 ft MXR cable.

Since the loop is buffered and the Boss Tremolo has buffered bypass as well, is this a correct assumption?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for the input you two. With that in mind, I wonder if an additional buffer I my FX loop chain would be at all necessary then.

Here is what I got in the FX loop:
20 ft MXR Cable > MXR 10 band EQ > DigiTech Chorus > Boss NS-2 Noise Gate > Boss Tremolo > TC Mini Flashback > TC Mini Hall of Fame > 20 ft MXR cable.

Since the loop is buffered and the Boss Tremolo has buffered bypass as well, is this a correct assumption?
You really shouldn't need it with that chain. The Boss pedals are buffered as it is. The 20ft cable run to it should be stable from the loop send so that should not be an issue. I doubt you'll have any issues with it.
- The best thing to do is try it and see it you're ok with it of not. If you get some weakness then you may want to add a buffer. I seriously doubt it will be an issue. You got stable signal from the loop, within the effects and to the return. Only way to know is to try.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You really shouldn't need it with that chain. The Boss pedals are buffered as it is. The 20ft cable run to it should be stable from the loop send so that should not be an issue. I doubt you'll have any issues with it.
- The best thing to do is try it and see it you're ok with it of not. If you get some weakness then you may want to add a buffer. I seriously doubt it will be an issue. You got stable signal from the loop, within the effects and to the return. Only way to know is to try.

That is good to know. Thank you all for your replies!

Latest posts

')