PRS Private Stock GOM for August

• Thread starter Rich5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I guess if it's a sig, and this is his desire, then that makes sense. But if they did hit production, I'd love it to be longer. Though, the heel still kills it for me.

but thats the thing, it kinda is a sig guitar.

They designed Mark's guitar to his specs. Then they though, "hey ppl have been crying for an 8 string, lets just do this month's guitar an 8 string to see the feedback of it....genius!, but we dont have an 8 string template, nor bridges or pickups.... we do!, we just created them for Mark's guitar!... wooo!!... slap some fancy color stain and some inlays to make it different and call it a day..."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Some guitar designs are not meants for the 7-8 string world... ;) I love PRS but am I the only one that thinks it overall doesn't look good??

I think it's just these big soap bars that are ruining the proportions. I thought it looked quite nice on Tosin's, even with the pickup rings that most would do without on a guitar with so many strings.

4Eyes

Reaction score
I don't like the way they enlarged the body...basically they just widen the body to accomodate 8string fretboard, but IMO I think it would look better if they made horns bigger as well.

pardon my photoshoping skills (it's regular 6 body enlarged to same widht as this new 8 string), just to show an example of what I mean

Attachments

• prs8string.png
    prs8string.png
    693.9 KB · Views: 155

Rich5150

Reaction score
Exactly. Not to mention this is a limited run of PRIVATE STOCKS, they're set spec so only 8 were built and I'd imagine like many of these other monthly runs, folks with deep pockets will likely snatch them up even if they're not planning to play them much just for the "limited PS run" factor. All you guys who say the scale won't work for you are free to order a PS with 27" scale. :lol: My guess is 99% of the folks making a big deal out of the scale once again either cannot swing one or have no intention of buying one, so I really don't understand the point of harping on that tired old argument... :deadhrse:

Heck, a ton of people on here who never played one even said the SE-7 wouldn't work at 25" for a 7, but lots of folks who have actually played/owned them seem to enjoy those. :shrug: Let it go already! :lol: Or better yet, buy one of these, put in an order with a dealer for the same thing with 27" scale and prove to everyone that your 27" version is so vastly superior with an A/B demo. ;) :rofl:

Back on topic, I think these are pretty cool personally. I love the PRS frostbite finish and I really dig the Holcomb 6-string Alpha/Omega set, so I'm sure the 8-string version kicks ass, although aesthetically I think the pickups would have looked better as normal humbuckers and not the soapbar covers. I will say I am also way happier that these have flamed maple fretboard binding instead of the fugly stark white plastic like some other guitars they have built for artists lately. :lol:

I also think PRS missed a golden opportunity to drop a small run of already-built 7-string PS guitars for July... I mean, really.... what the hell?! :lol: :wallbash:

:hbang: well said and I agree they missed an opportunity to do a PS 7 run

PS If I had the $ I would have one of these on the way

narad

Reaction score
:hbang: well said and I agree they missed an opportunity to do a PS 7 run

PS If I had the $ I would have one of these on the way

I've seen your NGD threads - who are you kidding! :lol:

I mean, I assume this means a 7-string run is on its way sometime this year (finally). Doing the 8s first only helps me know when to start saving :)

Rich5150

Reaction score
I've seen your NGD threads - who are you kidding! :lol:

I mean, I assume this means a 7-string run is on its way sometime this year (finally). Doing the 8s first only helps me know when to start saving :)

Lol trust me I'm not that rich by any means. I also have a deal w my wife of no guitars for 4 years, then I'm getting a PS to my spec's for my 50th BDay.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
Just got a quote, and it's less than the USA 7 string at Willicut.

narad

Reaction score
Just got a quote, and it's less than the USA 7 string at Willicut.

So is the GDP of some countries!
Even amongst PRS 7-strings, that one seems priced high.

SDMFVan

Reaction score
I got to see one of these in person and hear it played (didn't get to touch it) last night and it sounded awesome. Very clear and articulate tone, and the string tension was fine in standard tuning.

Wildebeest

Reaction score
Seriously people. 26.5 is perfectly fine for an 8 string. This guitar will play and sound just fine. Quit with the sso circlejerk.
It's not a circlejerk, it's a valid opinion. Unless you only tune to standard, 26.5 isn't going to cut it if you tune lower. 26.5 is perfect for Mark because he only tunes to standard, but if your lowest string is tuned to D, then you're going to sound like mud. Thicker strings can only help so much.

All that said, this guitar is gorgeous. This is a limited-edition niche instrument based off a signature custom model, so 26.5 is totally fine here.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Just for ....s and giggles I slapped a .80 on my Misha 7 and it sounds fine all the way down to E. Feels a *little* looser than my 27" guitars, obviously, but half an inch isn't the end of the world.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Especially considering Mark tunes his 6 strings all the way down to AGCFAD with a pack of 10-52's :lol:

If it's based around a specific player's needs, it's not catering to the guys who are planning on downtuning with a low D. There's more than enough guitars on the market to fill that need currently.

mdeeRocks

Reaction score
Some guitar designs are not meants for the 7-8 string world... ;) I love PRS but am I the only one that thinks it overall doesn't look good??

Like a 7 string Les Paul :D

Have you ever seen a 7 string Les Paul in person? :)

I really like this PRS, I don't think I'd own one, but looks really good.

Attachments

• 7_1.jpg
    7_1.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 7_2.jpg
    7_2.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 7_3.jpg
    7_3.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 55

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Considering that both Tosin and Mark had PRS build them 26.5" 8 strings, you'd think that the whole '8s can't work under 27' argument would finally die off.

Some people can get away with it, but a lot of us prefer 27''+ scales for tuning down. I tried using a standard scale for detuning, but I get along way better with my baritone.

If you can use it, good for you, but I've had much better luck using a baritone for anything lower than A#.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
The high gain stuff in that demo sounds like garbage, but the cleans are fantastic. I'd love to stick a pair of Mark's pickups in one of my 8s to experiment.

')