PRS Private Stock GOM for August

• Thread starter Rich5150
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
As a friend pointed out...26.5"
I'm not sure if that hurts the guys-who-would-buy-a-PRS-8 market, but sounds like a pretty bad move generally speaking.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Thank god it's 26.5" or I'd have to buy one

And $10k is probably in the right ballpark if previous GotMs are any indication. I could see it going as high as $15k.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Whats the scale om Mark's guitar?

Mark's 8 string PRS guitar is also a 26.5" scale.

"I tune standard on my 8 and 26.5 is just fine." - Mark Holcomb (Facebook post in reply to someone saying the 26.5" scale on this limited edition 8 string PRS is too short).

mperrotti34

Reaction score
Why does PRS refuse to build extended scale guitars but continues to try to push into the market? Their sales would skyrocket if they produced instruments for the current market. I dont understand how hard it is to realize that nobody playing 7 and 8 string guitars is playing the shorter scale lengths

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
Seriously people. 26.5 is perfectly fine for an 8 string. This guitar will play and sound just fine. Quit with the sso circlejerk.

exo

Reaction score
Seriously....it's safe to say that almost every Ibanez 7 out there in player hands is "shorter" scale at 25.5", and they're probably the dominant brand. Ibanez and Agile Septor/Interceptor 827's probably make up better than half of the 8 strings out there in player's hands, and they're 27" scale. This is HALF AN INCH off that. Saying these PRS are too short to work is like saying a Les Paul is too short to work because it's 3/4" shorter than a standard Strat.

This will be just fine.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I agree that it would probably be fine, but what would the advantage of going 26.5" be over 27"? It would seem that 27", or even longer, would please those who want to tune down further, or for various reasons want a longer scale. I guess for me, I don't understand why they would buck the industry standard, unless they have a specific reason. They could also produce a 23.75" 6 string, and it would probably sound and work just fine, but it doesn't make sense. I guess if it's a sig, and this is his desire, then that makes sense. But if they did hit production, I'd love it to be longer. Though, the heel still kills it for me.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I cannot wait to try one of those... Too bad I suck at playing eight strings...

On a side note, I just bought a PRS CE 24...! The last PRS I bought was right before they announced the Holcomb sigs... Maybe if I buy more guitars, PRS will release a production US made seven!

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Considering that both Tosin and Mark had PRS build them 26.5" 8 strings, you'd think that the whole '8s can't work under 27' argument would finally die off.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Considering that both Tosin and Mark had PRS build them 26.5" 8 strings, you'd think that the whole '8s can't work under 27' argument would finally die off.

Exactly. Not to mention this is a limited run of PRIVATE STOCKS, they're set spec so only 8 were built and I'd imagine like many of these other monthly runs, folks with deep pockets will likely snatch them up even if they're not planning to play them much just for the "limited PS run" factor. All you guys who say the scale won't work for you are free to order a PS with 27" scale. :lol: My guess is 99% of the folks making a big deal out of the scale once again either cannot swing one or have no intention of buying one, so I really don't understand the point of harping on that tired old argument... :deadhrse:

Heck, a ton of people on here who never played one even said the SE-7 wouldn't work at 25" for a 7, but lots of folks who have actually played/owned them seem to enjoy those. :shrug: Let it go already! :lol: Or better yet, buy one of these, put in an order with a dealer for the same thing with 27" scale and prove to everyone that your 27" version is so vastly superior with an A/B demo. ;) :rofl:

Back on topic, I think these are pretty cool personally. I love the PRS frostbite finish and I really dig the Holcomb 6-string Alpha/Omega set, so I'm sure the 8-string version kicks ass, although aesthetically I think the pickups would have looked better as normal humbuckers and not the soapbar covers. I will say I am also way happier that these have flamed maple fretboard binding instead of the fugly stark white plastic like some other guitars they have built for artists lately. :lol:

I also think PRS missed a golden opportunity to drop a small run of already-built 7-string PS guitars for July... I mean, really.... what the hell?! :lol: :wallbash:

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
Eh, I was never going to buy one so my opinion means nothing... but I've owned a 26.5" 8 string guitar and I would not own another one.

My PRS 6 string is my favourite guitar. This one doesn't appeal to me at all.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Some guitar designs are not meants for the 7-8 string world... ;) I love PRS but am I the only one that thinks it overall doesn't look good??

Like a 7 string Les Paul :D

Latest posts

')