PRS (SE) 2024

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
Serious question: what is it about the CE model (bolt-on) that gets people excited? I love bolt-on necks myself, but I think if I were to get a PRS, I'm thinking traditionally they are set necks and so I would gravitate towards a set neck model. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
That top looks so sick!

Something about pictures of gear not in marketing material always makes it look more real. I don't know what it is.
I think these look a little too light in the official store pics, but the real pictures I have seen of them look way better. Not so light, and more tealish, less powder bluish.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
That top looks so sick!

Something about pictures of gear not in marketing material always makes it look more real. I don't know what it is.
Probably due to touch ups and photoshopping and whatnot. I know some companies tend to *heavily* edit their marketing material.
Serious question: what is it about the CE model (bolt-on) that gets people excited? I love bolt-on necks myself, but I think if I were to get a PRS, I'm thinking traditionally they are set necks and so I would gravitate towards a set neck model. Curious to hear people's thoughts on this.
Because I like bolt-ons and PRSes lol. It's a small nit-pick but I like bolt-ons because if a neck isn't set right with a bolt-on, you can just shim it to fix the action.
The CE series is old as hell too. It was introduced only 3 years after the Custom/Standard 24. The CU24 was introduced in 84/85 and the CE in '88.

Shask

Reaction score
Not many shorter scale (25") bolt on Mahogany guitars out there. It is a pretty rare combination of specs. You should get that shorter scale chunk with more of that bolt on snap and attack. That is why I am thinking about picking up one of these. My set neck SEs are far more chunky than my bolt on guitars from other brands.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Surgery tomorrow. No food or drink after 8 PM.

Attachments

• prs.jpg
    prs.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 67

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Which pickups are you putting in?

Think the trem is really worth upgrading?
the saddles on SE are sub par, SE block is cheap and all reports say it is worth the upgrade to core standards. 498t and 490r pickups, as well as CTS pots , orange drop cap and a switchcraft toggle ( not shown).

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah the SE saddles are jank lmao.
I need to stop browsing pics of the SAS. Otherwise I'm gonna end up getting one lol. I already have my sights on a 277

Stiman

Reaction score
Do the newer SE guitars come with better nuts now? I can't seem to nail that down. Are people still changing out the nuts?

Stiman

Reaction score
PXL_20231212_020229340.jpg

Just picked up this Custom 24 Quilt, couldn't resist these sale prices.

Was initially looking to a McCarty 594, but I got along better with the CU24. Plus the neck on the McCarty was shockingly thick. I'm not that picky on neck thicknesses, but that neck is just too much for me.
One feature I've never had on a guitar that I was excited about was the ebony board. Looks so good! Great mode/upgrade platform. Bought some pickups to start with, they were on sale, so might as well. Going to get the PRS locking tuners, and then I'll do some more research on the bridge and see what I can find.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do the newer SE guitars come with better nuts now? I can't seem to nail that down. Are people still changing out the nuts?
I've played much much worse nuts. The tuners are still jank.

Also if you don't wanna spend the $ on PRS tuners, check out the Allparts TK-7576-010 or Grover 406C locking tuners. Theyre drop-in replacements.

Also I'm a month in and still love the CE24. I'm tempted to get a 2nd one before the 20% off sale ends, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Stiman

Reaction score
This is my first PRS, and first I've ever actually played. I'm very impressed. Shockingly so.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Btw @Shask was spot on. The CE24 is definitely snappier and brighter than my Standard 24. The bolt neck + the solid maple top really makes a difference. It's why I wish they offered at least a plain unfigured maple top on the Standards.

Stiman

Reaction score
Also if you don't wanna spend the $ on PRS tuners, check out the Allparts TK-7576-010 or Grover 406C locking tuners. Theyre drop-in replacements.

Here in Canada, the Grovers are about $100 CAD, and the PRS SE locking tuners are $150 CAD. The Grovers come with kidney bean shaped keys though, which don't fit the aesthetic IMO. The PRS ones seem affordable enough, although I imagine they are the same quality as the ones that are on there now, just locking...

Last edited:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Also I'm a month in and still love the CE24. I'm tempted to get a 2nd one before the 20% off sale ends, but we'll see.
Might as well do it. Not only is the deal good, but I wouldn't be surprised if price increases start happening once the backstock is moved. No rumors or info to back that up. Just a semi-hunch.

sirbuh

Reaction score
Are the PRS S2 Custom 24 10th Anniversary models any good? Hard to tell if the + reviews are simply because its relatively cheaper or its solid as a stand alone.

Stiman

Reaction score
Are the PRS S2 Custom 24 10th Anniversary models any good? Hard to tell if the + reviews are simply because its relatively cheaper or its solid as a stand alone.

I believe the 10th anniversary ones have the American electronics in them. Whereas the regular S2 models share the hardward (not tuners?) and electronics with the SE line. So I think that's a pretty big consideration.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I believe the 10th anniversary ones have the American electronics in them. Whereas the regular S2 models share the hardward (not tuners?) and electronics with the SE line. So I think that's a pretty big consideration.
I'm not sure what the difference is between the SE and S2 locking tuners but they look the same to me.

')