PRS SE 7 -What kind of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
PRSPS33_front.jpg

I love the look, though the headstock is hideous

I think the headstock looks killer, it's just on the wrong body. It needs a larger body, with curves that match the headstock. By that I mean more pointed horns, possibly some sort of cutaways on the bottom edge as well.

Reaction score
PRS sell shitloads of guitars based around the same concept (Custom/McCarty), so why would they have to redesign their whole concept just to put an extra string on it? I figure it'd make sense for them to start by making a guitar they already know is good and appreciated and making a 7 out of that one, instead of making a big deal out of it. It's just another string, I'm sure a lot of us 7-string players would absolutely LOVE a 7 that's not made for br00tal metal for once.

Besides, as a PRS owner myself, I think a stock Custom 22 does a pretty damn good job for metal/shred as it is.

I completely agree. Even when I was playing brootal metal, but even more so now that I am doing this heavy doom country fusion thing. :yesway: Gvie me a single cut or a double cut as is with one more string and i'll be happy.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
I love PRSs. If I had the money, and they made a 7 I would replace all but 3 of my guitars with various PRS guitars. The thing about them I love is that they CAN do brutal and they can do sparkly cleans and everything in between STOCK!

As for the scale length: Plenty of bands use LPs and PRS and other various shorter scale guitars for B and A tuning. Although I'm not a huge fan Sevendust use(d?) PRS guitars and they tune down that low and have plenty of clarity in their sound. Frankly IMO a lower scale length is preferable for lead guitar sounds.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
As for the scale length: Plenty of bands use LPs and PRS and other various shorter scale guitars for B and A tuning. Although I'm not a huge fan Sevendust use(d?) PRS guitars and they tune down that low and have plenty of clarity in their sound. Frankly IMO a lower scale length is preferable for lead guitar sounds.

I agree leads and cleans sound better at smaller scales, but I don't want to be forced to use heavier gauges because of shorter scales. 25.5 is a nice compromise for everyone. :shrug: And beside sif they are custom PRS they may be made longer scales at request.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree leads and cleans sound better at smaller scales, but I don't want to be forced to use heavier gauges because of shorter scales. 25.5 is a nice compromise for everyone. :shrug: And beside sif they are custom PRS they may be made longer scales at request.

Honestly bro, do the math. That extra .5" you're begging for makes almost no difference in tension. As for a bigger difference, I don't want to have to use thinner strings. :shrug:

What tuning do you use, and what string gauge are you currently comfortable with?

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score

I wholeheartedly agree with the 25.5 part.:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Malacoda

Fogdiver
Reaction score
I found this in the PRS private stock section. Production model, please! (plus more color options)

7string.jpg

usagi

more gain please
Reaction score
+1 to malcoda's suggestion. I would be down w/ a USA model just like that. I really don't care about an se version.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly bro, do the math. That extra .5" you're begging for makes almost no difference in tension. As for a bigger difference, I don't want to have to use thinner strings. :shrug:

What tuning do you use, and what string gauge are you currently comfortable with?

You're pretty much the only one here against a 25.5 scale SE 7 dude...

troyguitar

Reaction score

My ideal specs would include 22 frets, 25" scale, and a trem (regular, not Floyd). Basically a 7-string SE Custom 22. As in an actual PRS 7-string, not just a 7-string with the PRS logo.

edit - as posted earlier, take this guitar and do nothing but add a string:

prs_se_custom_002.jpg
[/QUOTE]

haffner1

Reaction score
I would love a 25" scale for a 7 instead of a 25.5. For one, my hands are not that big, and I do find a noticable difference between playing a 25.5" and a 25". My Custom 24 is that only guitar I still feel comfortable playing .010s on, for the rest, I use .009s (arthitis). Another plus would be that it would make it easier to tune up instead of down for those who would like that option. You could use a .008 for a high A.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yep just me......

And, Plug, 13point9, Vineroon, gunshow86de, troyguitar, scottro, and haffner1. Not to mention, I'm sure there are others out there who wouldn't mind a 25" scale PRS 7.

If I'm the only one who wants a standard PRS scale of 25" then I'm also the only one who bothered to read the thread. ;)

Also, I don't remember saying I was vehemently against 25.5", only that I would prefer 25", as it offers something different as any other current production 7 offers. I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth sometimes.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yep just me......

And, Plug, 13point9, Vineroon, gunshow86de, MFB, troyguitar, scottro, and haffner1. Not to mention, I'm sure there are others out there who wouldn't mind a 25" scale PRS 7.

If I'm the only one who wants a standard PRS scale of 25" then I'm also the only one who bothered to read the thread. ;)

Also, I don't remember saying I was vehemently against 25.5", only that I would prefer 25", as it offers something different as any other current production 7 offers.

I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't put words in my mouth sometimes. You have a real knack for doing it. :)

Woah, I am FOR a 25.5" scale and was pleading NOT to have a 27" scale one. I don't mind a 26.5" (it still seems right keeping it under 27" even if only by .5" :lol:), but my ideal would be just a regular scale length. My 7321 was 25.5" and it seemed to hold tension fine on the low B :shrug: I'd probably have to play one first if it was 27" - I remember when I had my 8 string, the 28.whatever-the-fuck-scale was awful and I had to stretch like a bastard. Maybe 27 isn't as bad as I remember.

Edit : Whoops Max, I only read up until my name and then was like :spock:

After reading your whole post, :yesway:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Woah, I am FOR a 25.5" scale and was pleading NOT to have a 27" scale one. I don't mind a 26.5" (it still seems right keeping it under 27" even if only by .5" :lol:), but my ideal would be just a regular scale length. My 7321 was 25.5" and it seemed to hold tension fine on the low B :shrug: I'd probably have to play one first if it was 27" - I remember when I had my 8 string, the 28.whatever-the-fuck-scale was awful and I had to stretch like a bastard. Maybe 27 isn't as bad as I remember.

Sorry about that, in that post you said "25", my bad. :)

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score

Edit : Whoops Max, I only read up until my name and then was like :spock:

After reading your whole post, :yesway:
Your old 8 string, which is now my 8 string, is 28.625 and it is crazy far to strech on that thing.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Yeah, my frail girl hands couldn't handle it :(
Im still trying to figure that thing out. But on the topic of scale length. I prefer 25 or 25.5. Our Mushok Baritone is 27.7 and it just doesnt feel that comfortable to me. I've never played anything between 25.5 and 27.7 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')