PRS SE 7 -What kind of interest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avenger

Reaction score
A guy from PRS comes on and asks us what interest we have in them making a 7-string SE, and you propose getting Rondo to make a 7-string PRS ripoff?

Classy.
It's better then waiting several years for a production model, when Kurt seems to put out guitars to peoples specs almost every 3-4 months.

For PRS to put out a seven string there is a ton of time they have to invest, market studies, design and prototypes, etc. If they decided to look into it today I would say you would be lucky to see a prototype by next year.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Being Opeth my favourite band, a 7-string PRS would raise my GAS to undreamed levels. :scream:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
It's better then waiting several years for a production model, when Kurt seems to put out guitars to peoples specs almost every 3-4 months.

For PRS to put out a seven string there is a ton of time they have to invest, market studies, design and prototypes, etc. If they decided to look into it today I would say you would be lucky to see a prototype by next year.

Obviously you have no idea how long it takes Rondo to go from concept to production, you probably also don't realise that the guy you are arguing with is responsible for a couple of Agile designs, he designed the body, he designed the headstock, he did all the ground work, it's all him so if anyone knows what's involved in taking a Rondo guitar from idea to production it is Darren.

Even if that wasn't the case Darren is right in suggesting this isn't the place for that kind of suggestion, it would be kind of like you asking for feedback on a track you posted and me telling you not to bother recording an album because my kids will be better or out sooner. Darren is still a prick though ;)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Have you read any of this? IIRC, Tom was saying he would want to see what the sevenstring community would want in a PRS SE-7 and have a prototype for NAMM next year. Not to mention, like darren already said, it's in extremely bad taste to come in to a thread where you have one company asking what we would want to see from them (and it's a BIG company) and then saying, "Well we could just get this company to make them for is immediately" as if you need some kind of incentive to tell them what you really want when they've already come to us.

avenger

Reaction score
Obviously you have no idea how long it takes Rondo to go from concept to production, you probably also don't realise that the guy you are arguing with is responsible for a couple of Agile designs, he designed the body, he designed the headstock, he did all the ground work, it's all him so if anyone knows what's involved in taking a Rondo guitar from idea to production it is Darren.

Even if that wasn't the case Darren is right in suggesting this isn't the place for that kind of suggestion, it would be kind of like you asking for feedback on a track you posted and me telling you not to bother recording an album because my kids will be better or out sooner. Darren is still a prick though ;)
Explain why this isnt the place for this kind of SUGGESTION. I thought this was a discussion forum?

"Discuss all aspects of seven string guitars here."

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I already explained why this thread isn't the place for that suggestion as have others. There is nothing wrong with suggesting that Rondo build a certain guitar in it's own thread but coming into this thread and suggesting that Rondo rip off PRS is in bad taste which is what you have been told a few times already. Rondo will not do it anyway, Kurt would not want anything to do with it because you named the model, he will not leave himself open for legal action by appearing to rip off another guitar. If you had of left any PRS association out of it and designed a similar guitar with an Agile headstock you may have had a chance but now that you posted it in this thread you have pretty much guaranteed that Kurt will not touch it.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
If it says Paul Reed Smith on it, it's a PRS. :fawk:

:wub:

Extended scale =/= PRS Custom 22 or 24 or PRS Singlecut; no matter what the headstock says (IMO of course).

Seriously though, if this goes to production and PRS only offers an extended scale; just know that I'm keeping track of who's asking for it. :evil::lol:

It seems like every new 7 coming out that I actually like and can afford is at least 26.5 inch. If PRS ruins the SE 7 by making it extended scale, I'll cry. Seriously, do you want that on your conscience? Making a grown man cry? :squint:

MSalonen

Reaction score
I've been taking lessons from Emil Werstler of Daath, who is of course a PRS endorsee, and he said that they're sending him a 7.

Who knows where it might go from there?

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
I'll echo the general sentiment saying I would buy the fuck out of a singlecut 25" scale SE. Trem or no trem, stoptail or no stoptail, I would totally snag one.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If PRS ruins the SE 7 by making it extended scale, I'll cry. Seriously, do you want that on your conscience? Making a grown man cry? :squint:

If it means I get the guitar I want, I'll buy a pallet of Kleenex for you. :fawk:

Key_Maker

9V inside
Reaction score
I think that 25' is nice, longer scale isn't for everyone, i'm really having some adaptation problems with the 26,5', i couldnt imagine buying a 27' soon. :yesway:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I also do not like any scale length over 25.5", I don't really like shorter scales either. 25.5" is perfect for a 7, if the guitar is built well it can handle lower tunings without requiring monster strings and it offers the best playability IMO. The difference in tension between a 25" and 25.5" will be minimal and may not affect clarity even at lower tunings but I wouldn't want to be the one making that call considering 25.5" is already right on the edge. I don't really want the frets to be squashed any closer than 25.5" but I don't think 25" is going to be a deal breaker for me.

I have every faith that it is possible to build a 25" 7 that will retain clarity even at low tunings and based on reputation alone I imagine that PRS should be able to achieve that so I don't see a reason for a PRS 7 to be an extended scale, there are plenty of companies doing them already.

I think the a 25" or a 25.5" would be best, out of those the 25.5" is the better option for me and I believe is the better option for PRS commercially since 7 string players tend to be a stubborn bunch and many are stupid enough not to buy a great guitar just because the scale length is 25". I'll buy one even if it is 25" if they get the other specs right.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Didn't both Ibanez and ESP/LTD have 24.75" scale 7-strings at one point (SG copies)?

I know I played the Ibanez one time and it was fine.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I think 25" is plenty long for a 7 string. If PRS were to make a 7-string, I don't think the prospective market is the group of guys looking for super-tight modern metal tones. I think they'll be making the guitar for those who already like PRS guitars and would like to have a bit of added range. At 25", you get that trademark sweet, creamy tone that PRS have built their names on. Even with that said, I have my Gibson LP tuned to A# with .056's and if you ask me, the 24.75" scale handles it just fine. If PRS put out a 7 with a 25" scale and I had money for a new guitar, I'd definitely give it a shot.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I think 25" is plenty long for a 7 string. If PRS were to make a 7-string, I don't think the prospective market is the group of guys looking for super-tight modern metal tones. I think they'll be making the guitar for those who already like PRS guitars and would like to have a bit of added range. At 25", you get that trademark sweet, creamy tone that PRS have built their names on. Even with that said, I have my Gibson LP tuned to A# with .056's and if you ask me, the 24.75" scale handles it just fine. If PRS put out a 7 with a 25" scale and I had money for a new guitar, I'd definitely give it a shot.

This :yesway:

xshreditupx

tats+metal=life
Reaction score
i dunno, i think that most people who want a 7 want to tune down, want to have the ability to use the guitar to its fullest extent, i would love to see one of these guitars in a bit of a longer scale, 24 fret, with a neck thru and a really flat wide neck. i have always loved the fret work on these guitars, just the radius and width always bummed me out. maybe 26 1/4 length 24 fret, flatter radius neck. something that can be used for more than standard tuning. i would be all over something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')