PRS SE Custom 24 7 String

• Thread starter themike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite PRS SE CU 7 Color?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Did someone say Spalt?

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/271547-ngd-yes-its-another-prs-se.html

I just got an SE 7 last week. I went with black because I'm not fond of looking at the multi-piece back. My impressions are not quite the same as others, so YMMV.

My findings were very similar to yours, but it's clear there can be a sizeable variation on quality.

Bridge - I find the bridge to be just ok. The overly thick chrome cladding on most import bridges is a turn-off for me. The hipshot looks like a good option to help increase sustain.

The bridge quality on the shop example and the one I have were both excellent. Sustain is very strong. A Hipshot bridge was my original intention to swap to but I may hold off on this.

Pickups - I like the stock SE HFS/VB pickups for most things. I was really surprised. I'm not going to replace them right away.

They're really not up to muster and are unusually voiced in my eyes (ears) so a definite change for me.

Tuners - the stock tuners are horrible, I find myself making tuning adjustments far more often than I should.

Couldn't agree more on the shop model I tried. They felt very poor.
I bought the guitar expecting to make the change to aftermarket locking tuners but the tuners on my guitar are as stable as I could want. Very smooth and accurate transitions, too.

Scale length - I primarily play PRS guitars so the 25" scale doesn't bother me, but I can't see how anyone would tune to anything lower than A and be happy. I don't play that low, but even tuned to A the 7th string is loose and rattles like a mofo.

Agreed. Standard tuning of dropping one step is about the limit with 10's fitted. Nevertheless, in standard or Bb, it feels absolutely fine.

Weight/neck shape - the weight is nice, mine is just over 7.5 lbs. The neck profile is really comfortable based on other 7's I've played (I don't like thin necks).

My favouite part of this guitar. So comfy either sitting or playing with superb upper fret access and comfort.

Fit/Finish - For a budget-line import guitar, it seems well made. No issues with the frets or inlays (the inlays look surprisingly good). I found one or two areas where the finish got goobered but nothing out of the ordinary for the price range. It looks like PRS chose to use cheaper hardware to help offset the construction costs and keep the price somewhat reasonable. That's good for those of us who want to do upgrades and build on a good foundation.

Overall it's one of the better non-MIJ import guitars I've played. It sounds and plays like a traditional 6-string with an added low B rather than a purpose-built guitar for low-tuned metal. More jazz, less metal IMO but an outstanding rock guitar for sure. I do think the scale length could be an issue for some. Then again, if you want to play that low maybe you should be playing bass instead ;)[/QUOTE]

Exactly my findings on the matter, too - especially with regards to it's application as more of a rock/jazz/blues instrument.

The binding on the shop model had several marks and there were some glue spots on the binding that had bled out from the fret beds and were laquered over - which would have been fine if they painted over the glue first! Overall, very nice indeed and the quality of the inlays was also excellent. Thankfully, mine is flawless!

I have the same thoughts as you with regards to the guitar as a base - modding it will make it absolutely killer.

Tisca

Big-tube snob
Reaction score

bouVIP

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on 1 and they are awesome!

iN6rbOS.jpg

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
That Amethyst one is already on my wishlist. Soooooon, but not so very soooooon.

The binding on the shop model had several marks and there were some glue spots on the binding that had bled out from the fret beds and were laquered over - which would have been fine if they painted over the glue first! Overall, very nice indeed and the quality of the inlays was also excellent. Thankfully, mine is flawless!

I haven't seen any binding issues, but they may be harder to catch with the clear finish.

The inlays were a really nice surprise. I had never seen an SE up close so I was expecting some lame plastic birds, not the MOP beauties that they are.

weirdoku

Reaction score
I can't decide between this (spalted top) and the Chapman ML7-T. I love both for their simpleness, nothing too fancy. ML7 is bang on my ideal budget but I can stretch to this PRS too. I play mostly metal stuff although starting to tone things down a bit and going for more cleaner tones.

I have a 6 string in drop C, a 7 string in standard, sometimes drop the low B to an A. Both are Ibanez RG guitars, 25.5 scale. I'm sure both PRS and Chapman guitars are of good quality but I'm edging slightly towards the PRS because it's just so damn beautiful and just because it's PRS, it's not the best reason I know but look at it!

Since I play in standard most of the time anyway on my current 7 I doubt I would notice much of a difference in the 0.5 difference? I'm using 64 54 42 30 17 13 10 on the 7 and the same on the 6 minus the 64.

I just want one nice, good quality guitar to call my Holy Grail!

EDIT: Ah what the heck I've pre-ordered the spalted top!

Reaction score
ITS NOT FAIR. Why does the EU get the special SE7's while us here in the U.S. get shafted on it. I want one with an ebony fretboard.Thats all I ask :( lol. I'm torn between this and the ESP LTD AW-7. The ESP has everything I need but, I have a love for PRS since I have a Mike Mushok Baritone. <3 If I have the money together.. maybe I can order that Tiger Black Eye Burst one from the EU. $896 USD including shipping to get it to me.. I wonder..

weirdoku

Reaction score
It might not be fair but we pay more for lots of things. Price in the UK ranged from £500 to £675 when I got mine last week.

Reaction score
the point of limited dealer runs is exclusivity, so I don't think this would be possible.

Oh.. Thats so stupid. I hate PRS but I love them at the same time... :p I will give the local dealer a visit in the next day. He's in cahoots with PRS big time... I know that for sure. Paul himself has came to the store several times and they have a bunch of private stock guitars in there too. He even made a deal with them to not allow the local Guitar Center to NOT carry new PRS's, only used because he is that big of a seller to them. PRS is HIS main seller in this area. So maybe he can give them a call?? Worth a shot haha. I just reaaaaaaaaaaaally want that ebony fretboard.

jcar24

Reaction score
Can someone pls confirm which locking tuners are direct drop in fits? I've been reading this entire thread and I think someone suggested schaller mini? Can someone link me to the exact ones? Thanks

Reaction score
Well it's official.... I thought it would've been possible but NO U.S. PRS dealer has access to get the Tiger Eye Black Burst... There are none in U.S. warehouses, They are all in Europe. The local dealer talked to the PRS rep right when I was there. So... I have a decision to make.. Is it worth it buying from Thomann and getting it shipped to the U.S?.. I might call Thomann tomorrow morning to get some details. I have $10 worth international calling minutes on my phone ;)

AliceLG

\m/^_^\m/
Reaction score
^^

Well I guess it depends on how much you really want this guitar, and how much more are you willing to pay. Because you're certainly going to get rammed on this one. EU prices for guitars are on an exchange rate pretty close to 1$ = 1&#8364;, which is way of the mark. And you'll have to take care of shipping and import taxes as well.

Latest posts

')