PRS SE Custom 24 7 String

• Thread starter themike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite PRS SE CU 7 Color?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marchpip

What?
Reaction score
Where are you hearing that staind are even potentially a thing any more? Last I was following was none of the members had any interest in getting together to put anything together... I love staind, so I hope there is something in the works I've missed!

Nothing specific, just an Interview from 2015 in which Aaron Lewis stated that they definitely record another album in the future but are fully satisfied by their current works.

It was more like a wish, since his Baritone guitars were available even when Staind's popularity went down since their self titled album and Mike always was some kind of figurehead for PRS' heavier part.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anectine_Matt

Reaction score
Great pair of guitars :)

How do you like the BKP's? Looking to put some in my SE7 but not sure which to take.

Also, did the covered pickups fit in the cavity without extra routing? I measured mine and it seemed a little cramped in there.

Thanks! It's hard to go wrong with BK's in my opinion, particularly on these PRS's, they turned what were already great guitars for the price into instruments that I pretty much can't go without now. That one with the Aftermaths gets more love than any of my other guitars, haha.

No extra routing but the luthier I took mine to ended up having to shave the pickup rings down a little bit in order to fit the covers, which was the case on both guitars, but otherwise it was already pretty close.

gujukal

Reaction score
Great pair of guitars :)

How do you like the BKP's? Looking to put some in my SE7 but not sure which to take.

Also, did the covered pickups fit in the cavity without extra routing? I measured mine and it seemed a little cramped in there.

I got a set of BKP Juggernauts that i will install in it soon, can tell you what i think of it when it's done. I think the stock pickups are okay though, neck pickup sounds really sweet with a lead patch. Bridge pickup lacks some bite to it though for djent stuff, it seems to be a bit too low output to suit metal.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
I got a set of BKP Juggernauts that i will install in it soon, can tell you what i think of it when it's done. I think the stock pickups are okay though, neck pickup sounds really sweet with a lead patch. Bridge pickup lacks some bite to it though for djent stuff, it seems to be a bit too low output to suit metal.

I agree, the neck pickup sounds really good for doing leads (especially with some reverb thrown in).

The bridge pickup is actually quite high output. I think the issue is not so much output but EQ. The HFS SE 7 pickup is really thick (lots of low end) which makes it more difficult to get those aggressive djenty or metal tones, and similarly, it doesn't have the 'note clarity' a lot of prog metal players are looking for. Still a solid pickup though, especially if you want a fat/thick tone. Remember, HFS stands for 'hot fat screams'. It is exactly this.

I still have the stock pickups in my PRS SE7. I'm quite happy with them for the styles I play. Maybe in the future i'll swap them out, but no rush for me.

Let us know how you like the BKP's once you get them installed :yesway:

gujukal

Reaction score
I agree, the neck pickup sounds really good for doing leads (especially with some reverb thrown in).

The bridge pickup is actually quite high output. I think the issue is not so much output but EQ. The HFS SE 7 pickup is really thick (lots of low end) which makes it more difficult to get those aggressive djenty or metal tones, and similarly, it doesn't have the 'note clarity' a lot of prog metal players are looking for. Still a solid pickup though, especially if you want a fat/thick tone. Remember, HFS stands for 'hot fat screams'. It is exactly this.

I still have the stock pickups in my PRS SE7. I'm quite happy with them for the styles I play. Maybe in the future i'll swap them out, but no rush for me.

Let us know how you like the BKP's once you get them installed :yesway:

Dimarzio D-activators and SD JB seemed to have higher output, but yeah maybe not low output but not super hot either.

gujukal

Reaction score
Couple of pics of mine you guys might like. The sunburst has a set of chrome BK Aftermaths, and the amethyst has chrome Painkillers.

99a9feeee9.jpg

99aa254b7e.jpg

Did you have to remove some wood from the pickup cavity with the BKP aftermaths? I tried to install my covered juggernauts today but the corners at the cavity are to rounded so the pickups wont fit :/

Anectine_Matt

Reaction score
Did you have to remove some wood from the pickup cavity with the BKP aftermaths? I tried to install my covered juggernauts today but the corners at the cavity are to rounded so the pickups wont fit :/

I had a local luthier put them in who managed to get them in both guitars without having to alter the routing on either of them, however they did have to shave down a bit of the inner portion of the pickup rings to make them fit properly.

gujukal

Reaction score
I had a local luthier put them in who managed to get them in both guitars without having to alter the routing on either of them, however they did have to shave down a bit of the inner portion of the pickup rings to make them fit properly.

That's weird, Aftermaths and Juggernauts should be pretty much identical and mine are maybe a millimeter to big. I guess their are slightly small differences in the pickups cavity on each guitar.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
Mine had to get put in professionally and the neck still doesn't want to raise up at all above the cover. Not a big issue to me as i use the neck simply for clean and smooth out a sound, so volume really isn't an issue for me.

anthonylbest

Reaction score
Any recommendations between hipshot locking tuners or the schaller mini's which are no drill?

Are the Schaller's a significant upgrade from the stock tuners?

gujukal

Reaction score
Any recommendations between hipshot locking tuners or the schaller mini's which are no drill?

Schaller are probably a big upgrade, stock tuners are decent imo but my LTD with Schaller seems more stable.

anthonylbest

Reaction score
The other think I have found is the PRS tuner buttons are smaller on the 7 string than my Angelus and the core 6 strings I have, most likely due to the tuners being grouped significantly tighter.

angl2k

Reaction score

I put Gotoh SG381 MG-T in mine, was a direct replacement no drilling needed.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Pablo255, I would happily buy an SE-7 all over again to get one in that awesome teal/blue color! So much want!

anthonylbest

Reaction score
Hipshot tuners now installed and what a difference. Not only in the weight (i like the heavier headstock), but everything just FEELS more stable.

')