PRS SE Silver Sky

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Big differentiator will be fretboard radius considering this is 8.5" and the NJ is a much more modern 14".

Just noticed that on the spoec sheet. The radius is probably what kills it for me. The 9.5'' radius wasn't too fun on the Classic Vibe strat I had. Kinda one of the main reasons I sold it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Just noticed that on the spoec sheet. The radius is probably what kills it for me. The 9.5'' radius wasn't too fun on the Classic Vibe strat I had. Kinda one of the main reasons I sold it.
I'm the exact opposite! Wish I could get something of that nature on a headless but best I've found is 14

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm the exact opposite! Wish I could get something of that nature on a headless but best I've found is 14

I'm a wuss that likes pretty low action, especially on the treble strings, and to do my bendybends with .009 strings, so yeah it's a no go for me. :lol:
I can get away with 12'' and tolerate 10, but anything less and I'm wussing out.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I have 9.5” radius on my CS Tele and it feels really nice. I love the way it feels. If these SE’s have the same neck profile as the core model, I’ll look it buying one to save a couple bucks.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I’ll add my voice to the chorus of those who want a maple board. They bust those out, and one of these would be an excellent base to scallop and maybe refret relatively quick.

I’ve never jived with PRS, but the Silver Sky models I’ve played were among the best sounding Strats I’ve ever played.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I’ll add my voice to the chorus of those who want a maple board. They bust those out, and one of these would be an excellent base to scallop and maybe refret relatively quick.

I’ve never jived with PRS, but the Silver Sky models I’ve played were among the best sounding Strats I’ve ever played.

I'm sure they will release the maple board version within a year or two.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a wuss that likes pretty low action, especially on the treble strings, and to do my bendybends with .009 strings, so yeah it's a no go for me. :lol:
I can get away with 12'' and tolerate 10, but anything less and I'm wussing out.

One of the reasons I'm curious about trying a Nash JM-63 is the radius difference between pretty much every Fender version and the 12" they use.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning. If I had any use whatsoever for a Strat, I'd get one of these

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Dannnng. Yeah another vote here for "dang whyd you make it that radius...."

Taylord

Reaction score
These are gonna sell like hotcakes and hopefully are still pretty solid. The price is allegedly 850 which is right on the money. If there's a video of John demoing it, that will probably help sell the idea a little more. But this could be an attempt to distance himself from the model like someone else said before. I think that was a longterm goal for this to just be a model and not so much just a JM sig.

Estilo

Reaction score
Main gripes at this stage are the really strange headstock design, the cheap looking plastic on the guard and knobs and the radius would probably annoy me. All of these apply to the US Silver Sky to be fair.

I know tone wood discussions are tabboo in 2022 but does the use of poplar not irk anyone? Low-cost variations of alder bodies guitars are aplenty.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I love the colour choices, especially the dragon fruit, but I can’t get past the headstock, in fact the whole guitar looks cheap to me, like a 90s budget Strat knock off rather than a PRS.

Most of all and despite all the evidence to the contrary, I still have a hard time believing, despite his obvious chops, that John Mayer’s name sells guitars the way it does! He’s hardly famous in Europe and is known more as a singer than a guitarist. Mostly he’s known as a serial ex-boyfriend though ;)

I’m not saying I dislike his stuff, not at all, just that someone that doesn’t even really register over here is responsible for a guitar that outsells the Strat!!!

Last edited:

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
Fender jacks up prices 15% and sends the whole internet into a rage

PRS announces affordable strat next day

Fender dominated the 2010s but between PRS's product lines they've got the S2 594's and standards, beyond consistent quality on Core models, the re-introduction of the CE line and consistently stepping up the SE line every year or two. I think PRS is gonna have a heck of a time for a little bit. One to watch for sure.

remains to be seen. brand loyalty and recognition extends pretty damn far, and the average joe who walks into a guitar store to buy their first guitar is going to go fender over PRS 9/10 times because it's the name they know

that being said i have a huge soft spot for PRS and hope that this does very well for them, looks like a sick guitar

')