PRS SE Silver Sky

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
I know tone wood discussions are tabboo in 2022 but does the use of poplar not irk anyone? Low-cost variations of alder bodies guitars are aplenty.

Not even a little bit. I didn't know there was a negative association. Then again, I don't even know what kind of wood 75% of the guitars I own are made of, nor do I care unless it's a trans finish—and then it's for aesthetic purposes only.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasn't @Riffer a PRS rep? You can blast him with your questions, he's definetely hawking the thread :lol:

(Runs away)

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
If its 850 ish I'm actually interested.

I wanted to pick up an Ibanez AZES in buttercream but getting one in stock seems to be an issue. The 25 inch scale and fixed bridge appeals to me, but it will need a Fret-dress, a new nut and new electronics to really sing.

My biggest gripe with the silver sky might be the radius but if the fret jobs are good like is usually the case with PRS SE stuff it might not be a Dealbreaker.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Wasn't @Riffer a PRS rep? You can blast him with your questions, he's definetely hawking the thread :lol:

(Runs away)

Exactly, that's how he's organising the Silver Sky SSO Trial

72508822.jpg

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Main gripes at this stage are the really strange headstock design, the cheap looking plastic on the guard and knobs and the radius would probably annoy me. All of these apply to the US Silver Sky to be fair.

I know tone wood discussions are tabboo in 2022 but does the use of poplar not irk anyone? Low-cost variations of alder bodies guitars are aplenty.

Not sure if "irk" is the right word, but it surprised me. Not a PRS person, but I associated PRS SE with being more of an equivalent of higher tiers of other manufacturers' budget lines and having the same kinds of woods as the "big" models. Makes me wonder why. If are they trying to price it below other SEs and get it out to as many of his fans as possible after the original became their bestseller, or if it's simple cost-cutting because margins/price of wood.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
I’m completely bonerizing on that ever green. But just to be devil’s advocate, the bridge looks like pig metal trash. Would still buy.

Would a gotoh drop in?

But no maple fretboard. sadness.

I bet they’re waiting a year or so to let the model establish itself. Especially with keeping manufacturing simpler while the supply chain remains fucked.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the colour choices, especially the dragon fruit, but I can’t get past the headstock, in fact the whole guitar looks cheap to me, like a 90s budget Strat knock off rather than a PRS.

Most of all and despite all the evidence to the contrary, I still have a hard time believing, despite his obvious chops, that John Mayer’s name sells guitars the way it does! He’s hardly famous in Europe and is known more as a singer than a guitarist. Mostly he’s known as a serial ex-boyfriend though ;)

I’m not saying I dislike his stuff, not at all, just that someone that doesn’t even really register over here is responsible for a guitar that outsells the Strat!!!

Interesting that he's not super-well known in EU. Here in the US his time as a top household name came and went, but he's very good at staying contemporary with these crazy kids through social media and his whole vibe altogether. I'm 29 and in high school he was the guitar player girls wanted and guys wanted to be for sure.

I agree with the others here, not in the market anyway but I'm out on that radius, same as when the original SS came out. I have a 2015 Zack Myers SE with a 10" radius and I barely pick it up for that reason.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One of the reasons I'm curious about trying a Nash JM-63 is the radius difference between pretty much every Fender version and the 12" they use.

You know the Player Plus Strats have a 12" radius, right?

jrn1308

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Interesting that he's not super-well known in EU. Here in the US his time as a top household name came and went, but he's very good at staying contemporary with these crazy kids through social media and his whole vibe altogether. I'm 29 and in high school he was the guitar player girls wanted and guys wanted to be for sure.

I can second that he's not very well known in the EU. I live in Germany and only heard about John Mayer on Guitar Websites. Even after listening to the top songs on Spotify I only know "Your Body Is A Wonderland".

And checking the german Wikipedia:

Top 10 Albums: GER 1, US 10.
Singles that made it into the charts: GER 2, US 22.

Crazy how different the music market can be between the US and the EU.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I did not know that. But the regular model is 9.5?

Japanese models are 8.5 (or at least the last musicstore run was).
Regular USA model is now 9.5 (american performer series), as are the mexian (player series).

50s vintera strats are 7.5 and the American 50s are 7.25.

HMM (their Charvel knockoff) is 17.

American Ultra series are a compound 10-14.

')