PRS Silver Sky DRAMA with Zach Myers and John Mayer???

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Remember, these Silver Sky guitars cost a couple hundo to make (if that, wood, parts and labor combined), and the limited edition colors sell for thousands.
They're making a lot of money selling to people who buy these things. They want total control over the profits and the colors and all that.
It's a disgusting greedy scumbag business, but that's capitalism. Those private jets ain't gonna pay for themselves.

Isn't that like all guitars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're probably only profiting a few hundred per too.

Dealer, distributor, freight, QA/QC, tooling, marketing, etc. all eat into that MAP.

Obviously there is healthy profit, but that's part of what's earned through becoming as trusted a maker.

Dooky

Reaction score
You guys are woefully uneducated about nitro and how it ages. To answer your question in a nutshell, poly finishes (your average modern guitar finish) are very durable. they've been in use a very long time (fender stopped using nitro in the late 60s) and thus your experience is likely based on your knowledge of poly durability. There are highway 1 strats with thin nitro finishes that look exactly like the guitar in op's shared video and those highway 1 strats were made in the mid 2000s. I know a professional musician who has one and it's very much worn like that. Which brings me to my second point, the way certain musicians who play professionally see their instruments vs someone who plays at home as a hobby (no slight intended or implied whatsoever) will usually differ substantially. If you play a guitar endlessly because you love it and it goes to every show with you it will wear, even poly ones. They won't look like SRV'S number one but they will have tons of aging. Nitro just ages very differently, that's just how it is.
I remember seeing Reb Beach's original Koa Suhr guitar (It's a natural wood finish). Has been his number 1 guitar for a number of years. He's practiced, recorded and played countless shows with it. He's played it so much he's worn divots and grooves into the actually wood where he has been turning the volume knob up and down (millions of times) and a wide divot/groove just below the strings; in between the pickups where his hand would be rubbing on the wood when picking/playing. Just goes to show how much a major professional guitarist actually plays compared to a weekend gig musician.

Last edited:

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I actually dig the relic job quite a bit.

Dude is obviously a JM fan if he had the painter do an exact replica of the pattern on JM's black Strat.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
While Shinedown might suck, this dude certainly knows how to spec a guitar

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLXphY2gtbXllcnMtbXllcnMtYmx1ZS0yMDIxLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
FWIW, there’s some great fucking songs on the first Shinedown record. If they ever become that band again, I’d buy every album. I love Brent’s voice and the dude is a phenomenal vocalist, I just really don’t dig the direction they took that band. The Smith & Meyers acoustic stuff is at least cool because it’s a bunch of covers and I get to dig on that dude’s voice.

It’s been a long time since these days-

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcnNpbWFnZXMiLCJrZXkiOiJndWl0YXItaW1hZ2VzL3NlLXphY2gtbXllcnMtbXllcnMtYmx1ZS0yMDIxLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7ImpwZWciOnsicXVhbGl0eSI6ODIsInByb2dyZXNzaXZlIjp0cnVlLCJ0cmVsbGlzUXVhbnRpc2F0aW9uIjp0cnVlLCJvdmVyc2hvb3REZXJpbmdpbmciOnRydWUsIm9wdGltaXplU2NhbnMiOnRydWV9LCJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjE5MjAsImhlaWdodCI6NjYzLCJmaXQiOiJjb3ZlciJ9LCJzaGFycGVuIjp0cnVlfX0=

Super agree, there's been one for sale here, and I've almost talk myself into it a few times over the last couple months. I've had two PRS Mushok baritones, it would only be fitting to have one of these as well. Perhaps one day.

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My dirty secret is there is actually a Trampas ZM sitting in my rack lol. Well, it's my fiance's, actually. And she only bought it because she fell in love with the aesthetics of it all. And it does have a great top and some of the best-figured mahogany that I've seen. Definitely one of the best SE's I've ever played. 2015 Korean factory, FWIW. Terrible stock pickups and tuners. Replaced with Suhr SSH+/SSV and Gotohs, respectively. Also replaced with a proper nut as it would not stay in tune at first. Still not my bag but it's fun to pick up when my main needs a string change or is bagged up.

Did some nerdy deep-diving on the guitar when she bought it and realized then that ZM was kind of a douchebag. And that despite tens of millions of views on their YT videos that I had completely missed their output over the years. Not a big surprise. Though I agree the singer objectively is very talented their music couldn't do any less for me.

Not digging the newer blue one though I wish the Trampas version had the binding they added.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, there’s some great fucking songs on the first Shinedown record. If they ever become that band again, I’d buy every album. I love Brent’s voice and the dude is a phenomenal vocalist, I just really don’t dig the direction they took that band. The Smith & Meyers acoustic stuff is at least cool because it’s a bunch of covers and I get to dig on that dude’s voice.

It’s been a long time since these days-

:agreed: I loved that first album in high school and it’s not bad to come back to.

Always wanted one of those green ZM SEs but I just play thrash and melo- death so a semi-hollow feels unnecessary. This thread got me browsing Reverb again :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't know much about Shinedown so hearing Zach Myer's is a prick is kind of a shocker I guess? :lol: I just know his sig PRS is sick.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

They look really nice in person. Only complaints I've really seen is some pitch drift issues even in standard tuning. Not sure if it's due to the scale length or just needs better tuners/nut and it's good to go. The one I played seemed fine. It was my first time playing a semi-hollow so the tone took a minute to get use to.

rowsi

Reaction score
I don't know much about Shinedown so hearing Zach Myer's is a prick is kind of a shocker I guess? :lol: I just know his sig PRS is sick.
I'm pretty sure that this Zach Myers guy is not the bad guy here. As I understand it, he got flack from PRS for painting his John Mayer guitar pink.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
:agreed: I loved that first album in high school and it’s not bad to come back to.

Always wanted one of those green ZM SEs but I just play thrash and melo- death so a semi-hollow feels unnecessary. This thread got me browsing Reverb again :lol:

I was really interested in those until I played one and the neck was way bigger than I care for, it felt closer to an early 50’s Strat than anything else I’ve ever played.

dshea19

Reaction score
I would guess that PRS the company was mad and not John Mayer the artist. An endorsed artist doing things that can be viewed as messing with a product launch would cause problems in their minds. Having a pink version before their pink one hit shelves, and being a relic at that, might be considered creating product confusion. I don't see it that way, but PRS could. I am no John Mayer fan, but I don't see the point in accusing him of anything.

')