PRS Vs Ibanez?

• Thread starter sevenstringgod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanez or PRS?

• Ibanez

Votes: 47 46.5%
  • PRS

Votes: 54 53.5%

• Total voters

james

Reaction score
in regards to pickups the ibanez HSH setup is better as it gives you more options but the V series pickups aren't well matched to the guitar's bodywood. prs may have fewer options but their pickups are much better suited to the guitar that they're in. this one's even

Hey Phlegethon, just wanted to chime in and point out how many different pickups and pickup configurations PRS offers now:

humbuckers
humbuckers with coil taps
humbuckers with a fralin single coil
high output rock humbuckers, low output jazzy humbuckers, vintage late 50's sounding humbuckers
soapbars
starla pickups (new pickups that I like a lot...bright in a cool way)
regular singlecoils (305)
new narrowfield pickups
513 pickups (heavy humbucker, clear humbucker and singlecoil in one guitar)
3-way toggles
5-way blades
5-way rotary

Not trying to defend my company here, I just have to keep track of these things and when I read that, I had to chime in!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
:scratch:
PRS are also orders of magnitude more expensive, generally speaking, so I guess your argument holds some water - but perhaps we should compare the lower-end Ibanez to the SE series, and the Prestige to the Customs? We'll leave Private Stock aside...

SE are not PRS guitars in the same way that LTD is not ESP - there's no comparison, really. Comparing a cheap Ibanez to a cheap "PRS" is comparing a Cort to a Cort, and what you're getting is in no way representative of what made either company famous.

With respect to design compromises that Ibanez seems to love screwing the player over with, check out the VERY well designed trems made from mystery metal that crack in half because of the cheap casting, the misaligned saddle inserts, the trem holders that shear apart from regular use, the awful stock pickups, the neck joints that creak because they're slightly out of alignment, etc.

I *do* like Carvin. I got one, figuring that I'd just return it if I hated it, because of the compromises I'd been forced to swallow over and over again by Ibanez AND PRS/Gibson, actually. As a long-time Saber player, Ibanez had brilliant designs, but they couldn't get their shit together on quality or good materials, and PRS produced brilliant instruments that I didn't like very much. Long story short, the Carvin came out perfect (imagine an Ibanez built by PRS and you're not far off), so I kept it.

NDG

Contributor
Reaction score
HSH does have the potential to offer more tonal possibilities, but a stock Ibanez RG isn't going to have more tonal possibilities than a stock Custom 24. In either case, you're getting 5 different tones.

Also Custom 24s have the option of coming with a 5 way blade switch or 3 way with a push/pull tone control.

To be fair to Ibanez, any prestige RG that isn't a 15xx comes with Dimarzios or EMGs (for the U.S. line anyway).

I agree this is more an apples to oranges comparison.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
SE are not PRS guitars in the same way that LTD is not ESP - there's no comparison, really. Comparing a cheap Ibanez to a cheap "PRS" is comparing a Cort to a Cort, and what you're getting is in no way representative of what made either company famous.

With respect to design compromises that Ibanez seems to love screwing the player over with, check out the VERY well designed trems made from mystery metal that crack in half because of the cheap casting, the misaligned saddle inserts, the trem holders that shear apart from regular use, the awful stock pickups, the neck joints that creak because they're slightly out of alignment, etc.

I *do* like Carvin. I got one, figuring that I'd just return it if I hated it, because of the compromises I'd been forced to swallow over and over again by Ibanez AND PRS/Gibson, actually. As a long-time Saber player, Ibanez had brilliant designs, but they couldn't get their shit together on quality or good materials, and PRS produced brilliant instruments that I didn't like very much. Long story short, the Carvin came out perfect (imagine an Ibanez built by PRS and you're not far off), so I kept it.

Well that explains it. :lol:

Though, of the some 30 odd Ibanez guitars I've had I've never expirenced most of those problems you listed, and of those I have, it's always been on the lower end models, which, like you said, are made by Cort.

What Japanese made Ibanez guitars that you own, have had these problems?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Damn...they're like my two fave companies :lol:

I'd say PRS win in terms of build quality and whatnot, so I voted for them. However, Ibanez are another creature and have their own merits (leads and faster riffs obsviously being more comfortable on the thinner necks) and a wider range of specs than PRS. If one PRS covers all the bases for you, then thats that, but without going custom, I find there are some things they don't offer which I'd really like to see on a production model.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
All of them, actually.

The Edge bridge on my original S540 cracked in half. Took them about 8 months to replace it under warranty.

The second S I got had a saddle split in two the first time I changed the strings (not over-tightening, I assure you). Another 8 month wait for replacement. Hooray.

The ZR-equipped S Prestige I got when they first came out had to be completely torn apart to be playable - the trem studs weren't quite square and the bearings kept popping out the side, the trem arm holder sheared every six months or so without fail, etc.

On all of these guitars, the pickups needed to be replaced because they were horrible, and the necks creaked. The wood quality was also shit.

All of my friends had similar problems with their guitars. Apparently the local music shop had to return more than half of the guitars they were sent due to quality issues.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
If you're looking for something that's at the PRS level, but still offers a ton of player options, I suggest Carvin. In this case, the comparison becomes Rolls Royce vs Maybach, which is at least in the same ballpark.

I can only assume that by comparing these brands to Maybach, that you are suggesting they are over engineered, underperforming, overly dressed but ultimately tasteless wastes of money?

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
I can only assume that by comparing these brands to Maybach, that you are suggesting they are over engineered, underperforming, overly dressed but ultimately tasteless wastes of money?

Any status symbol that costs more than a house can probably be classified as a tasteless waste of money. Of course, the opposite angle is that there's no better way to say "Fuck you, Proles!" than driving a car that you paid for with money that you couldn't possibly have earned (or you wouldn't be wasting it on such a showy "kidnap my children" symbol).

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Any status symbol that costs more than a house can probably be classified as a tasteless waste of money. Of course, the opposite angle is that there's no better way to say "Fuck you, Proles!" than driving a car that you paid for with money that you couldn't possibly have earned (or you wouldn't be wasting it on such a showy "kidnap my children" symbol).

I was thinking tasteless more because they are horribly over-done inside. I prefer racing style interiors used on supercars - leather and carbonfibre :yum:. Maybach seem obssessed with over-leathering, and the designs are just tacky imo. Designed to look classy rather than being classy as a result of a good design. Not that I've driven one, but apparently they drive like tanks too, though I imagine anyone who buys a Maybach buys it just to sit in the back. At that kind of coinage you can buy a Maybach or a serious performance machine, If I had money falling out of my ears I'd buy a fleet of Lamborghinis before I bought a Mayback.

Although if you look at their designs, Ibanez are sort of the Lamborghini of the guitar world...:lol:

Phlegethon

Reaction score
Hey Phlegethon, just wanted to chime in and point out how many different pickups and pickup configurations PRS offers now:

humbuckers
humbuckers with coil taps
humbuckers with a fralin single coil
high output rock humbuckers, low output jazzy humbuckers, vintage late 50's sounding humbuckers
soapbars
starla pickups (new pickups that I like a lot...bright in a cool way)
regular singlecoils (305)
new narrowfield pickups
513 pickups (heavy humbucker, clear humbucker and singlecoil in one guitar)
3-way toggles
5-way blades
5-way rotary

Not trying to defend my company here, I just have to keep track of these things and when I read that, I had to chime in!

hopefully I'm not reading this wrong, but are all of those options available on the custom 24? as pretty much everybody in this thread knows this is a total apples/oranges comparison and I was working from a few axioms that would've required me to not consider options like this as they weren't a part of the "stock" format. and if the custom 24 did/does come as a hardtail model then that's something I dropped the ball on in my little comparison blurb

either way it was interesting to do the apples/oranges comparison . . ended up learning a few things about the custom 24 in general when I put it under the microscope

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Edge bridge on my original S540 cracked in half. Took them about 8 months to replace it under warranty.

Those bridges were made in Japan by Gotoh, I don't see how it's Ibanez' fault if you got a faulty one. As for the 8 month wait, that does suck, but it's not typical. I've sent guitars for warranty repairs (through my old shop) and it averaged about a month. Either way, they stopped using that bridge all together several years ago. Not to mention it never made it onto a Prestige series guitar.

The second S I got had a saddle split in two the first time I changed the strings (not over-tightening, I assure you). Another 8 month wait for replacement. Hooray.

Once again, it's a part not made by Ibanez (at least if this is the Japanese ones we're still talking about). From the looks of your waiting period it might have to do with the Canadian distributor for Ibanez. From what I've gathered on the Ibby board, they aren't that great.

The ZR-equipped S Prestige I got when they first came out had to be completely torn apart to be playable - the trem studs weren't quite square and the bearings kept popping out the side, the trem arm holder sheared every six months or so without fail, etc.

If you're talking about the Korean made Prestige series, then I fully agree with the quality. They weren't even close to Japanese specs, and were wholly overpriced.

As for the arm holder, the shearing is caused by the holder coming loose from use. By simply tightening it, the arm holder will last SIGNIFICANTLY longer. Though the added stress from the ZPS system does take it's toll. Once again, this has been corrected on all current ZR bridges by factory "locktite-ing" the arm holder in place.

On all of these guitars, the pickups needed to be replaced because they were horrible, and the necks creaked. The wood quality was also shit.

Most stock Ibanez pickups are pretty lame. Though, as of right now most Prestige series guitars have REAL (not /IBZ) DiMarzio pickups, or EMGs.

As for the "creaking", what do you mean exactly. Was it literally shifting and creaking as you played?

Ultraworld

Luthier A Holic
Reaction score
I am amazed at how consistent the PRS's are from guitar to guitar. The fretwork, fit & Finnish is really good. When you tweak a PRS truss rod the neck responds to the slightest movement. They are a dream to set up. PRS makes pickups to suit each model. PRS's wood selection is meticulous, the tops are thick & carved nicely. The Finnish is meticulous as well. They balance well.
Ibanez makes great guitars, but they behave like bolt on Strats. If you opt for their highest end models, the fretwork is very good. But fancy tops are thin veneers. Factory set ups are hit & miss. I'm usually re shimming the locking nut height. I've always been disappointed at the artist models. The J Customs are really nice.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
You can't compare a baseball to a bottle of shampoo.

It's like trying to decide if a car tire is better than a walrus.

james

Reaction score
hopefully I'm not reading this wrong, but are all of those options available on the custom 24? as pretty much everybody in this thread knows this is a total apples/oranges comparison and I was working from a few axioms that would've required me to not consider options like this as they weren't a part of the "stock" format. and if the custom 24 did/does come as a hardtail model then that's something I dropped the ball on in my little comparison blurb

either way it was interesting to do the apples/oranges comparison . . ended up learning a few things about the custom 24 in general when I put it under the microscope

Sorry, Phlegethon...I missed the "think CE/Standard/Custom" part of that original post. At least I got to practice my typing :ugh:

It's like trying to decide if a car tire is better than a walrus.

That's no contest. The walrus dominates car tire.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Sorry, Phlegethon...I missed the "think CE/Standard/Custom" part of that original post. At least I got to practice my typing :ugh:

That's no contest. The walrus dominates car tire.

I'd say that depends on what one hopes to accomplish. I don't see the walrus making a very good swing. ;)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say that depends on what one hopes to accomplish. I don't see the walrus making a very good swing. ;)

Dude, you rather play on a tire swing than your very own walrus?!

walrus_bucket.jpg

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
i think you get more bang for your buck with ibanez. a non prestige rg is way better than a SE prs

')