PRS vs Musicman

• Thread starter e7lek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

e7lek

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone would pick

PRS custom 24 piezo with trem vs Musicman jp/majesty

Theyre basically identical, i own a jp11 and iv tried my friend's custom 24 (w/o piezo)

and let me tell you they both have a different taste... im amazed how good the PRS felt.

Dont get me wrong the musicman is just as good. but id say they both are 10/10 guitars.

Sorry im rambling

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Personally I'd take the PRS, if only because I like the feel of their necks more, and I can't stand the look of the EBMM headstock.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Both amazing guitars but I prefer the neck of a PRS and that is the main deciding factor for me in this context.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Majesty for me. I love the one prs I have but I don’t see any reason to get another guitar with that scale length.

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
Carlos Santana sure got me intrigued with PRS guitars back in the 1980's. I never owned one but I always dreamed of owning one someday. I like Santana's 24 fret version w/ tremolo/vibrato and master & tone controls with a 3-way toggle switch. And of course a gorgeous curly maple top for extra flavour.:)

;>)/

Toxin

no, i don't drink vodka
Reaction score
PRS, for the same reasons as above. NECK.
Pattern regular/regular/wide fat is great, pattern thin/wide thin not so.
Had JP too, couldn’t bond with a thin neck as that, sounded awesome though.

Smoked Porter

Reaction score
Theyre basically identical

they both have a different taste
2225wb.jpg

Just get a 5150.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Prs if it came with wide fat/pattern regular.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
They’re both pretty much completely different, save the number of frets, they’re double cuts and are made of wood and electronics.

They honestly couldn’t feel any less different. You’ll have to try them both

efiltsohg

Reaction score
Every Musicman I've ever picked up is just perfect

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
It really depends on your preference. Do you need the 25.5" scale over the 25"? Do you prefer super thin or medium/thicker necks? Everyone here is giving their opinion without factoring in your opinion. Both guitars are fantastic, but personally that extra half inch makes a difference to me and the PRS necks are too thick to my liking.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone would pick

PRS custom 24 piezo with trem vs Musicman jp/majesty

Theyre basically identical, i own a jp11 and iv tried my friend's custom 24 (w/o piezo)

and let me tell you they both have a different taste... im amazed how good the PRS felt.

Dont get me wrong the musicman is just as good. but id say they both are 10/10 guitars.

Sorry im rambling

I currently have a Majesty Monarchy and a Cu24 Artist package with a rosewood neck (no piezo). Between the two I've grown to prefer the Monarchy, it's cheaper, lighter, more ergonomic, and feels more like an all in one, specifically designed package. Tuning stability is about the same between the two, they still fluctuate some depending on the season. I will say the the rosewood neck (pattern thin) on the PRS is amazing, still probably my favorite neck. If I had to pick between the two I'd take the Monarchy. If you're on the fence you could always grab one from Sweetwater and use their trial period to see what you prefer. Either way I think you'll be very happy, both are amazing companies.

lyonk55

Reaction score
I played several PRSs back to back with a Majesty and a JP15: I now own the 15. They felt completely different and l at the end of the day, the thinner, smoother neck, steel frets and smaller body of the MMs was more up my alley. The necks on the PRSs were just a little thicker than I'm happy with and most were gloss, which I hate. All were great guitars and l still kinda do want a CU24.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Why do you guys like pattern regular so much and dislike pattern thin?

I tried both and could barely tell a difference. Additionally, I find that the pattern thin profile is anything but thin, pretty substantial.

Edit: forgot to answer the question. PRS is great, and I would go for a Custom 24 over a JP any day. On the other hand, if I want a strat styled guitar (SSS), EBMM is the way to go. The silver sky is probably amazing, but the look is kinda off IMO.

lyonk55

Reaction score
Why do you guys like pattern regular so much and dislike pattern thin?

I tried both and could barely tell a difference. Additionally, I find that the pattern thin profile is anything but thin, pretty substantial.

Edit: forgot to answer the question. PRS is great, and I would go for a Custom 24 over a JP any day. On the other hand, if I want a strat styled guitar (SSS), EBMM is the way to go. The silver sky is probably amazing, but the look is kinda off IMO.

The ones I tried were all pattern thin and yeah, not really thin at all. I looked it up and there's only about 1 mm difference between thin and regular. If PRS had the "thick" neck of my Ibanez SZ and a satin finish, I'd probably have one already.

kisielk

Reaction score
I don't consider the JP series necks to be that thin... at least not compared to my J.Custom's wizard neck. I prefer Music Man to the PRS generally, the aesthetics just appeal to me more. If I were to get a PRS at some point I'd try to get one with a plain or traditional burst top, not really a fan of the crazy flame maple looks.