PSA - Reverb charging sales tax twice on international sales

• Thread starter potatohead33
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The irony of pointing out that not everything revolves around the other person's country, and your first post about fees on a component category that carries a higher fee when every single person in the thread was thinking about talking about selling instruments. :lol:

Yawn.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
i hope that Sweetwater's new used platform puts reverb out of business. fuck etsy.

sounds like you can sell on the new SW site for free if you accept your payment in SW gift cards which sounds fairly attractive since most of us already spend a good amount of money there.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Was never aware of Reverbs practices but I've looked up some stories and it seems like they can be hit or miss . The used market is weird with instruments . I've only ever traded mine in to local stores where I've bought them from for credit for a new instrument , but if I had to sell stuff it would probably just be local unless I needed some cash quick .

I'm guessing Ebay is the best bet ? I still find it hard to believe Reverb would just send back money after you've shipped the gear you sold ... man this is a weird situation .

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i hope that Sweetwater's new used platform puts reverb out of business. fuck etsy.

sounds like you can sell on the new SW site for free if you accept your payment in SW gift cards which sounds fairly attractive since most of us already spend a good amount of money there.

Eh, it's sort of like hoping Walmart beats Amazon.

Reverb has its pitfalls, but Sweetwater is no hero.

:shrug:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Btw, having shipped to a country like this fairly recently, Reverb gives you some info with the address that explains the buyer already paid the tax via Reverb, and is given a special code to include with the postage. Maybe it didn't trigger in this instance or the seller dropped the ball, but I imagine you'd be able to relay that number to the courier just the same.

Since I got an IOSS code last month for charging EU customers tax directly and paying it through to the gov rather than their package being held up at the border and the customer having to pay a bill (and, actually more importantly than sales tax for cheap packages, a hefty flat rate handling fee on top), I've had several packages still get billed mistakenly despite the code and all relevant paperwork (and even a hand written TAX PAID note).
I refund the customer the full import bill amount of course. I am able to chase up the sales tax double charge mistake and not have to pay it twice...but no bueno on the additional handling fee.
Blegh.
Still, better situation overall than pre-code.

potatohead33

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw this got bumped up

I was able to get FedEx to go over my shipment again, the lady I spoke to was very nice, and she said even immediately there were problems like they charged me tax on the shipping and things like that. I ended up getting about $57 back from Fedex. So I really only "overpaid" by about $25 on this sale. Still freaking annoying having to go through all that BS though and Reverb can kiss my balls for their complete lack of any help or understanding.

')