Psychedelic Music Appreciation

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how you classify this music, but I'll provide an example or two of what I consider it to be... The main point of this thread--for me--is to see what other bands SS.org knows about that fit this profile...

I guess you could even lump in guys like Bootsy Collins as well. I apologize in advance if a thread like this already exists.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
I generally dislike psychedelic music, but there are a few bands that I like here and there. Canterbury scene music gets pretty good.

Gong - Flying Teapot

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
It's a genre of music I often overlook bc of all the modern "jam bands" trying to recreate watered down versions of bands that just knew what they were doing. Bands like Weather Report and the Frank Zappa Band blow my mind--especially when you consider how much talent the WHOLE band has and how well they seem to be able to play together.

Adding Gong to my list of bands to check out... I assume that's the band name anyway.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
You got it. Check out the Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy albums (Flying Teapot, Angel's Egg, You).

Egg - A Visit To Newport Hospital

Khan - Driving To Amsterdam

Gilgamesh - Playtime

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Not exactly what you posted, but I find it pretty mind-moving.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^Sphongle is a cool one. I have a lot of his stuff and there's another band called Entheogenic that sounds a good deal like that as well. :yesway:

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
^Sphongle is a cool one. I have a lot of his stuff and there's another band called Entheogenic that sounds a good deal like that as well. :yesway:

If your into that stuff, you should definitely also check out Ott! He does a bunch of production stuff with Shpongle, and did a psydub remix of a bunch of Hallucinogen songs (Halluginogen is Simon Posford of Shongle's psychadelic trance music)

Reaction score
I cant get into psychadelic stuff no matter what, I've even tried when I'm tripping...still hate it :lol:

What are some classics for newbs that might get me into it?

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
A couple more.

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - One Hundred Cycles

Bachdenkel - The Settlement Song

Van Der Graaf Generator - Meruglys III (The Songwriter's Guild)

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been all over the electronic chill out scene the past 10 years, and if you are interested in bands that sound similar to Shpongle and Entheogenic I could probably suggest a load of bands and discuss it and link clips etc. but!

Due to me being lazy as hell I will simply suggest 10 bands that are in the same style as Shpongle and Entheogenic, they're all as good or better, and you can do what you will with it :lol:

Ott, Androcell, Sundial Aeon, Phutureprimitive, Shulman, Spatialize, Easily Embarrassed, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Aes Dana and H.U.V.A. Network.

That is all, I'm too lazy to go further into it now :lol:

If you want more non-electronic listening, definitely check out Gong and Ozric Tentacles (as previously suggested already) and give Ash Ra Tempel a moment of your time.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to the electronic psychedelic bands, but I'd prefer to hear about instrumental bands like the one in the OP. And if anyone does post electronic music, PLEASE no dubstep.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to the electronic psychedelic bands, but I'd prefer to hear about instrumental bands like the one in the OP. And if anyone does post electronic music, PLEASE no dubstep.

Na fuck dubstep :lol: and I think every single one of those bands are more chilled down than Shpongle, meaning slow paced, they're more about atmospheric landscape drivel than unce unce unce struff. But usually trippy :lol:

But yeah, Gong, Ozric Tentacles and Ash Ra Tempel are three great bands to start with in the non-electronic department imo!

ilyti

Lazy Ryebread Viking
Reaction score
Can anyone find me more stuff like Linda Perhacs? I've looked at "similar artists" in Last.fm and they really aren't anything like her. She only ever released one album, so it would be nice to have more stuff that's similar.

')