Psychedelic Music Like Om and Tool

• Thread starter DXL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
Okay before I start, I understand that both these bands could be heavy at times (Tool more than less) but I'm looking for something that matches their softer stuff. Whenever i try to find psychedelic rock, I always end up with The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, etc. The problem is that stuff doesn't sound psychedelic to me. This is what feels psychedelic to me:

They both seem to draw heavily on Indian and Middle Eastern styles. Please help me find more stuff like this guys. :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchbooked

Reaction score
Actual indian music with a tabla in Rag Kirwani will sound along those lines

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
That OM track sounds like a blatant rip off of this:

Some of the Ozric Tentacles stuff may appeal to you:
(audio is low in this clip-turn it UP :D)

Ibanez guy

Reaction score
Not as "tribal" as what I was looking for but holy crap you just got me into a new amazing band. I really love this.

I believe the singer is friends with Periphery and Jake does a guest spot on their album

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Anything associated with Simon Posford (Hallucinogen, Shpongle, Younger Brother). Not sure if you like electronic stuff, but this is modern day psy at its best. Brilliant, beautifully done music.

My band was hopelessly inspired by Posford, among many others.
Shameless self-promotion

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
You might like the band Alchemist.

EDIT: Didn't read your post thoroughly enough. Alchemist is probably a lot heavier than you're looking for.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
+1 Swans that .... makes me trip when I'm sober

DXL

Reaction score
With a name like isispelican I should've expected those tracks to be awesome :lol:
Really good stuff though

stradfire

psilocybinoculars
Reaction score
AtYya is a something I recently found. Mind=Blown.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/lostinsound/atyya-circularium[/SC]

I compose stuff that some have said is good for calm trips (or to calm a trip going haywire), but I'm not established enough to really recommend myself, and those comments were made after performing live. I think my music is more soothing than psychedelic, though when coming up for a title for my track, "Lifesong," a very spiritual man told me he felt it, "was 'Ascension.'" Perhaps when I've produced my music in a way that's more professional and not just me with my guitar in front of a Zoom playing the whole song straight through...when I think of psychedelic music, I think of layers upon layers of sound that really open up when in an alternate mind state.

Cheers :cheers:

- -

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Shameless plug for my band :cool:

My band IRITIS does some psychedelic heavy rock. Our new stuff is headed more in the Progressive Psychedelic Fusion [esp Theory, the first YT video] vein :squint:.

Here is a good recorded example of a song you might enjoy from our REVERBNATION page !

Iritis :: Clockwork

Iritis :: Theory

Here are some youtube videos

Hope you like it !!

')