PU install- What do I need to know?

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
So, I plan on installing an An7/DS7 combo in my 1527 soon. (As in, by the end of the week, hopefully.) It'll be my first venture into modifications, and I could use all the advise you guys have.

I've got the solder gun (less then 30w) and the rosin core solder, and I'll be getting the PUs, switch, push/push pots, caps, and wire when I can get my mom to put the money in the bank.
Anything else I've not accounted for?
Anything specific I should know?

Fill me with your infinite knowledge. :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OzzyC

Reaction score
Here's the one I'm using; got it off of Leon.

remoteImage-21.png

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this. Both pots push/pull? And each humbucker is hooked up to one of the pots and the switch? :scratch:
Just asking out of curiosity. It looks pretty interesting.

OzzyC

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this. Both pots push/pull? And each humbucker is hooked up to one of the pots and the switch? :scratch:
Just asking out of curiosity. It looks pretty interesting.

I'll be using push/push, but yeah. It'll be to switch from series to parallel on each PU independently of the other.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
I'll be using push/push, but yeah. It'll be to switch from series to parallel on each PU independently of the other.

One more question: which PU wire goes to the switch?
I'll be swapping the pickups in my 1527 too and might do something similar. Working with a 5-way switch seems a hassle compared to this, due to the density of the wires.

OzzyC

Reaction score
One more question: which PU wire goes to the switch?
I'll be swapping the pickups in my 1527 too and might do something similar. Working with a 5-way switch seems a hassle compared to this, due to the density of the wires.

Hey! I'M SUPPOSED TO BE THE ONE ASKING THE QUESTIONS!:mad:

:lol:

I suppose it doesn't really matter, the logical choice would be neck-vol, bridge-tone.

The 5-way was a choice reason for this wiring, I have a hard time hitting anything other then bridge or neck when switching on the fly.

EDIT: misread the question. It would be the red wire, as it's run parallel to the switch and top left contact on the lower section of the pot.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
Your initial answer completely stumped me. :lol:
Yeah, I figured it was the red one.
Oh, by the way, a tool to strip the wires could come in handy. Not really required, though, as a regular knife will work too.
Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.

OzzyC

Reaction score
Your initial answer completely stumped me. :lol:
Yeah, I figured it was the red one.
Oh, by the way, a tool to strip the wires could come in handy. Not really required, though, as a regular knife will work too.
Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.

I've got one lying around my table-o'-work-stuff. :yesway:

lol

scott from _actual time_

grumpy old man
Contributor
Reaction score
Anything else I've not accounted for?
Anything specific I should know?
go slow and steady. "tin" all wires and switch terminals by putting solder on them alone first. watch out for the sides of the iron burning other wires. remove the switches from the guitar if you need more room to reach the contacts.

and before you desolder any of the stock electronics, draw a little sketch to remind you how they are wired, in case you ever need it. much easier to sketch it before you pull it apart! :)

OzzyC

Reaction score
go slow and steady. "tin" all wires and switch terminals by putting solder on them alone first. watch out for the sides of the iron burning other wires. remove the switches from the guitar if you need more room to reach the contacts.

and before you desolder any of the stock electronics, draw a little sketch to remind you how they are wired, in case you ever need it. much easier to sketch it before you pull it apart! :)

Thanks, and I've already got the stock diagram, so I've got that part covered. :)

Haha, you already know more than me Oswaldo, and I installed my Invader 3 hours ago. :lol:

Knowledge is power. :flex:

OzzyC

Reaction score
And Power is energy which is mass and therefore libraries are massive potential black holes. :lol:

But you don't read Terry Pratchett, or indeed read, do you wouldn't get it! :rolleyes: :lol:

But, mass is comprised of huge amounts of energy, which would make a library only equal to an item roughly the size of my computer mouse. So, no black hole. :squint:

And besides, it would have to become a star, and need millions/billions of years to collapse, and then form a black hole. :cool:

Just because I don't know who Terry Pratchett is or what he did/does doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two.

Thomas

Stranger
Reaction score
<hijack>
Review? We'll work on it. :lol:

keep your eyes posted for a picstory :D
... plus the clips I asked for. Actually, I wanna hear the Invader, too. :fawk:
</hihack>

Ozzy, if you haven't used a soldering iron yet, I suggest you practice a bit so that you won't have any nasty surprises once the thing's down the cavity. :ugh: :lol:

')