Pulled the trigger... Thorn R/S Custom ordered! \m/

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Just to let you know, I have a friend that ordered one 4 years ago.
Still hasn't gotten it.
You won't get it in 6 months.

Just to let YOU know, I have ordered two Thorns (one Artisan model and one Junior 90) and received both of them in the past 3 years. These are NOT custom orders but rather "production" models he is currently working in addition to the custom orders in small batches. Unless "your friend" ordered his model as an Artisan Master with a shitload of custom inlay and crazy options like LEDs going through the fretboard and specific spots in the inlay, your buddy is either lying or fake. What's his full name, I can ask Ron next time I call him? :scratch: I don't know anyone who has not received their order recently that ordered in the beginning and that was like 4-5ish years ago so I'm kinda doubting this a little... :lol: I can pretty much guarantee you that I will have this in my hands within roughly 8 weeks, as promised. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bleak

Reaction score
Just to let YOU know, I have ordered two Thorns (one Artisan model and one Junior 90) and received both of them in the past 3 years. These are NOT custom orders but rather "production" models he is currently working in addition to the custom orders in small batches. Unless "your friend" ordered his model as an Artisan Master with a shitload of custom inlay and crazy options like LEDs going through the fretboard and specific spots in the inlay, your buddy is either lying or fake. What's his full name, I can ask Ron next time I call him? :scratch: I don't know anyone who has not received their order recently that ordered in the beginning and that was like 4-5ish years ago so I'm kinda doubting this a little... :lol: I can pretty much guarantee you that I will have this in my hands within roughly 8 weeks, as promised. :wavey:

In that case, I'm mistaken. I didn't know Ron had models that were closer to a production line, I'm guessing like Suhr's Pro Series.
I'm not going to tell you my friend's name, I'm not the type of person to do that over the internet. He can chime in if he sees this, although I don't think he's a member here. He did order quite a bit of inlay work, and it's a pretty immaculate build, so yeah.
My buddy's not fake, by the way. I've physically played some of his guitars that you could easily buy a car with, each.

I've played one of Ron's guitars before (through the same friend, actually), and it was pretty nice. It, too, was one of Ron's that took quite a while to build, with options out the ass. Unbelievable craftsmanship. To me, it felt more like a showpiece than a guitar, so I was a bit uncomfortable with it. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah sorry not trying to call you out but Ron is a buddy of mine and I am very familiar with his customers too. :) Most of them are very cool about the wait time and I don't know too many guys who are still looking at 4 years for theirs that would mention it on a board like that, that's all I was saying. :wavey: I ordered my Artisan Deluxe with minimal customization, little bit of inlay work, 3ish years ago so I am familiar with the folks ahead of me and most of the ones that aren't done are the guys who had all the Artisan Masters with crazy inlay and whatnot. :lol: The guys like myself who opted out of the huge inlay pieces got through in much less time and these models are similar to the Suhr Pro Series as they are not full-on custom models but rather "production" models offered with limited options and a shorter build time. They are also constructed differently. :D Ron is, however, nearly done clearing out the backlog so tell your buddy to hang tight and watch the forum because his will probably be showing up soon enough. :yesway:

Bleak

Reaction score
Yeah sorry not trying to call you out but Ron is a buddy of mine and I am very familiar with his customers too. :) Most of them are very cool about the wait time and I don't know too many guys who are still looking at 4 years for theirs that would mention it on a board like that, that's all I was saying. :wavey: I ordered my Artisan Deluxe with minimal customization, little bit of inlay work, 3ish years ago so I am familiar with the folks ahead of me and most of the ones that aren't done are the guys who had all the Artisan Masters with crazy inlay and whatnot. :lol: The guys like myself who opted out of the huge inlay pieces got through in much less time and these models are similar to the Suhr Pro Series as they are not full-on custom models but rather "production" models offered with limited options and a shorter build time. They are also constructed differently. :D Ron is, however, nearly done clearing out the backlog so tell your buddy to hang tight and watch the forum because his will probably be showing up soon enough. :yesway:

Yeah, it's cool, I don't doubt that you know him pretty well. He's patient about it, and has no negative feelings toward it -- what was said is totally my personal iffiness about waiting so long for a guitar, though I do actually understand the process. He's on the forum quite a bit from what I understand, so I'm sure he's waiting it out.

You mentioned a "Precision Lock" neck design. Is that the construction of the neck, or more of the neck shape that it's referring to? The one I played had an enormous neck, will you stay with a similar carve?

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
No doubt. Yeah the backlog happened because Ron originally started doing the guitar building in addition to his full-time job of custom inlay for Fender, Schecter, ESP etc. etc. and eventually he had so many orders for his guitars that he's actually at the point where he can be picky about what inlay jobs he wants to take on! :lol: Good for Ron IMO, now he can focus on his guitars and return to a steady "XX in, XX out" deal instead of having a bunch of guys waiting for a while. I waited 22 months for mine without issue and knowing what I do now after buying two of his guitars and playing 2 dozen+ of Ron guitars I would have gladly waited an extra year for mine without complaint. :D I feel for the guys waiting longer but I can all but guarantee they'll be happy with their guitars when they receive them. :wub:

The "Precision Lock" neck design is Ron's new neck construction design where the butt of the neck is built into a dovetail joint so it literally has to slide downwards into the body rather than sliding it horizontally into the body like you would on a standard bolt on guitar. He has threaded inserts that go through the neck up until right under the fretboard and then the bolts screw up through the body into said inserts to lock the neck into place. Since Ron does everything on CNC the tolerances are as good as you could possibly get and he said using this design there is no need for shims and it won't allow for lateral movement which is a good thing. :yesway: It's supposed to enhance the sustain through this design too which is an added bonus. :D The neck carve on mine will be similar to a PRS regular carve, maybe a little thinner. I have a thicker neck on my Artisan model and I think if I had gone a little bit thinner I would have dug it even more. :) I'll post updates in a few weeks as I receive them, not going to bug him since he has everything he needs from me for now. Looking forward to checking out that 2Tek bridge in person as I haven't seen one myself but everyone who played the tele design with the 2Tek keeps talking about how amazing it is! :rofl: Stay tuned! :)

Panterica

Banned
Reaction score
holy shit, that'll be sweet.
that finish it top notch, and the neck joint is sure unique on the top ones
that heel looks too beefy for me though on the bottom one. sure are gorgeous

<3

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
rsproto4.jpg

Mmm, that brown makes me think of drinking a fresh cool glass of iced tea on a hot summer day. :yum:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Just for anyone else who was curious Mike Henson (the dude supplying Ron with the 2Tek bridges) posted some more info on them so I figured I'd share (Ed, hopefully this explains the design a little clearer than I was able to on the phone over the weekend! :rofl:):

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

:yesway:

Man I am SO hyped for this guitar! :rofl:

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just for anyone else who was curious Mike Henson (the dude supplying Ron with the 2Tek bridges) posted some more info on them so I figured I'd share (Ed, hopefully this explains the design a little clearer than I was able to on the phone over the weekend! :rofl:):

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

That bridge looks incredible man:yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

Sweet jesus fuck that thing is INSANE :lol:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow that guitar has the first "almost-Fender" headstock that I actually really like. Looks nice and elegant. That'll be a sveet guitar!

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
That bridge is awesome, and the neck joint design is pretty damn cool as well.

Who needs a sustainer right? :lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Don't be.

He'll get bored with it and sell it soon.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be.

He'll get bored with it and sell it soon.

I believe you missed the thread title. :fawk: This is a Thorn, i.e. on the not to be sold list. :D Plus between the neck design, bridge, pickups etc. everything is special on this guitar so it should be a very unique piece and not something easily replaced. :wub:

loktide

dotlike
Contributor
Reaction score
congrats man :yesway:

don't forget to supply us with kwolity piks when it's there

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
but didn't you just sell a Thorn? :D :lol:

that bridge looks incredible btw :agreed:

Kinda-sorta... :lol: That one was non-custom, this one I was able to change the specs. I loved the P-90s but since I'm playing high gain stuff like 85%+ of the time and the wiring in my apartment is not so great the hum was driving me nuts. This one I was able to get a humbucker in the bridge plus I really wanted stainless steel frets and he's letting me do that on this one so no reason to let this one go. :shrug:

congrats man :yesway:

don't forget to supply us with kwolity piks when it's there

But of course sir! :wub: There will be much picture-taking going on when I receive this puppy! Best. Strat. Ever. :bowdown:

')