Purple binding and inlays

• Thread starter SevenStringSam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenStringSam

Reaction score
well... i just took off the neck binding of my rg7321 neck. ill tell how if you really want to know haha. and the frets. what i need to know is where to buy purple binding and purple dot inlays

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Purpleheart may work for the binding, you could also try dying a maple binding purple. Stewmac and LMI have maple strips dyed blue, so purple should be possible to make. As for the fret dots, I have no idea.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
should have looked for the stuff before you wrecked your neck haha,

iv never seen purple plastic,
doesnt mean it doesnt exist...

probably best to look only for a place that sells ABS or whatever its called, and ask if they can get purple in the same size as your binding, ask for a 50x50 piece aswell, buy a hole punch and punch out your own dots, i do

SevenStringSam

Reaction score
nah its all good. i ended up just taking the fretboard off so i will replace it with a custom cut of ebony

AthenaInlay

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
There are several purple synthetic materials. Bryan England's Custom Inlay has large and small sheets of purple Pearlessence: Custom Inlay - Detail
Though it's kind of a wimpy purple.

You can also get several colors of purple recon stone: Recon Stone

Jim Leonard used to sell recon dots. They're in the pic on this page: Products

However none are listed on his Ebay shop. But as Andrew said, you can make your own. Some people hack out rough shapes then glue them to the other end of a drill bit, reverse chuck it and sand them round.

I'm not sure if I have any purple Corian or not. Eeeh... it's Lilac. Here's a link to place to get samples though if you want to see the colors or don't know anyone who'll give you scraps for free: Corian Samples

And there's always purple dyed stabilized wood. Look on Ebay, pen making and knife making supply shops.

...Ath

thewildturkey

Reaction score
I have a custom 7 string with a Purpleheart fretboard.

Search around, purpleheart comes in many shades of purple, and would be no issue as a binding or fret inlays.

not to mention would look KILLER is the binding was on the body too...

Andrew_B

Reaction score
However none are listed on his Ebay shop. But as Andrew said, you can make your own. Some people hack out rough shapes then glue them to the other end of a drill bit, reverse chuck it and sand them round.

iv heard of that method, now that you have reminded me, i shall finally try it :yesway:

Ps, iv only just discovered your work a week ago.... amazing stuff.... makes me want to jump in and start inlaying already!!!

you will need to send me pics of this man :yesway:

AthenaInlay

ss.org irregular
Reaction score

Search around, purpleheart comes in many shades of purple, and would be no issue as a binding or fret inlays.

not to mention would look KILLER is the binding was on the body too...

I love purpleheart, but I wonder about some of it staying purple. I haven't been able to get a really straight answer on this from anyone. Some turns a boring brown. I've heard some say to keep it out of sunlight and others say that if the colors dulls, the way to bring it back is to expose it to sunlight. I've got a thick billet that's stayed purple inside for several years and it still looks great. Yet I've got some small cutoffs that are completely brown in the outside.

How old is your fretboard? Is it still as bright purple as it was initially? Gotta pic to post?

...Ath

AthenaInlay

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
iv heard of that method, now that you have reminded me, i shall finally try it :yesway:

Ps, iv only just discovered your work a week ago.... amazing stuff.... makes me want to jump in and start inlaying already!!!
Do it man! :hbang:

If anyone needs any help with inlay, just post something here or e-mail me. Most customers order something they've seen already. If we don't get some new blood people are going to be ordering the same crusty ancient designs forever.

Blooooood... we need blooood! :evil:

...Ath

AthenaInlay

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
AthenaInlay really helped me get my head around the tools and everything I would need to get started in inlay work.
Here is the thread
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...ch/110761-learning-the-art-of-inlay-work.html
She really took some time with her detailed replys!
She kicks ass loads of ass!

Thanks, dude!

Listen, Larry Robinson, the godlike entity of the inlay world, inlayist to the stars, etc... has helped me so much over the past 2-3 years that it's blown my mind. I tried so hard to imitate him when I first started. I even tried to grow my hair down to my ass and braid it like his...LOL.

In helping others I'm starting to understand what he gets from it. It IS good to go over the basics, rethink things. Besides, I do feel I've got this sorta karmic debt to repay to the universe or the demons of hell will eat my van or something. ;-> And we can't let this art die out to be replaced by only cheap factory artificial veneer rehashes of the same old designs.

I'm so psyched when I see something like Dylan's Daemoness inlays. That's cool, fresh, new stuff that opens people's eyes up to new possibilities.

...Ath

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Another option to get purple binding and inlays is to find a purple plastic trash can(it'd have to be one as tall as the fretboard is long so you can get proper strips off it). Would cut what you need out of it, you'd need to flatten the bottom side of it so it can go flush with the neck wood, but otherwise, it should work fine.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
AthenaInlay really helped me get my head around the tools and everything I would need to get started in inlay work.
Here is the thread
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...ch/110761-learning-the-art-of-inlay-work.html
She really took some time with her detailed replys!
She kicks ass loads of ass!

i shall check out this thread, cheers :yesway:

Do it man! :hbang:

If anyone needs any help with inlay, just post something here or e-mail me. Most customers order something they've seen already. If we don't get some new blood people are going to be ordering the same crusty ancient designs forever.

Blooooood... we need blooood! :evil:

...Ath

i think i might have a go at it :)
see how i go :ugh: :lol:

Andrew_B

Reaction score
\Listen, Larry Robinson, the godlike entity of the inlay world,

i did some research on mr robinson,
pretty damn great!
the basic video helped alot, now i have to source some shell and a decent saw.....

and he does have quite a pony tail goin on there :lol:

SevenStringSam

Reaction score
im dong an ebony neck with purple. pearloid. thanks guys you really helped. soon ll have the body and neck painted and put together!!

')