Purple Haze thumb-over technique on 7 string

• Thread starter MaxwellJPorter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxwellJPorter

Reaction score
I got my first 7 string recently and I had no problem playing my normal 6 string stuff on the 7 string except for the thumb-over technique. Specifically Purple Haze, I love playing the verses with the thumb on the E string, but with a wider neck board and an extra string it's become more difficult.

It feels like with some more practice I should be able to overcome the obstacle, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on the issue? My troubles are getting my thumb up and over the 7th string and applying enough pressure to fret the 6th string. I find myself needing to press down harder than usual to get the notes speak and this sometimes creates extra noise on the 7th string. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
My only advice is to be extra careful not to injure yourself. If it hurts, you shouldn't be doing it. If it tires you really fast, you shouldn't be doing it. I don't really recall ever seeing six-string players doing thumb-over to play on the 5th string even.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I had this issue when I switched to seven string and Inreally hurt my left wrist before adjusting. It took a few weeks. I started with a straight classical approach with my thumb on the back of the neck at all times. Eventually I started being able to quickly slip my thumb up over the neck for wide vibratos or big bends etc. But I can't just leave my thumb over the top or the wrist pain comes back real fast.

I still can't really do the Purple Haze trick on the E string. My hand span just is not large enough to do it comfortably. My only solution would be to have a 6-string around just for those types of licks. Kinda like how some folks have a guitar just for slide.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I think if Jimi had been playing a 7-string, he wouldn't have played it that way. It's a good approach in that particular scenario, but you're not in that scenario anymore, so I wouldn't push it. If you only live to be 28 you don't have to deal with chronic wrist injury, but if you were planning on a long life of guitar playing into your senile years, be nice to your wrists!

Lasik124

Reaction score
My only advice is to be extra careful not to injure yourself. If it hurts, you shouldn't be doing it. If it tires you really fast, you shouldn't be doing it. I don't really recall ever seeing six-string players doing thumb-over to play on the 5th string even.

This!

Be careful, I've screwed up my wrist. Don't screw up yours!

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You can do it, but it's not really easy - there's a reason Jimi never really fretted the A string in this manner. :lol:

Try the same technique, though, to fret the 3rd fret while playing a D chord - that works pretty well.

Leviathus

Psychotic Monster
Reaction score
I'm with what Drew's sayin I think, don't worry about thumbin the low E, thumb the low B instead and build a new chord. For example the 3rd fret G chord could be something like this on a sev.

-x
-x
-x

or

-x

MaxwellJPorter

Reaction score
Thanks Narad, Drew and Leviathus! I'll try this out tonight. For the record I don't feel any pain or discomfort, it's just technically difficult.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely is. :lol:

You can do it, though, though it's tough to grab the E string *quickly* in my experience, using your thumb over the B, and you have to be careful about the B ringing out.

Latest posts

')