PUs suggestions for a Schecter SLS C7

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
I'm getting a Schecter SLS C7 (it should be here by tomorrow or later tuesday), baritone 7 string guitar (26.5" scale, mahogany body, maple set neck with ebony fingerboard). This guitar is loaded with SD Full shred in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.
I was thinking to maybe change pickups (but first I want to try the guitar stock as it comes).
For my needs I need to cover a great range on genres going from ambient, to jazzy stuff and up to more doom-metallesque moods.

To get an idea you can have a listen here:
Joel Gilardini's sets on SoundCloud

I was looking first at the Bare Knuckle pickups (the Juggernauts or the Ceramic Nailbomb set) but then I started looking at the SD Black Winters.

I already have a 7 string guitar which has a really deep, creamy, warm voicing (I-Spira Grifone pickups, korina body w/ macassar top, mahogany neck and ebony fretboard), so I was thinking it would be a good idea for this Schecter to have a voicing more toward the bright side.

I must admit BK seams to be really fine PUs, but they are quite expensive!
The Black Winter are making me more and more curious since from what I read they seam to be really versatile and able to deliver some good clean sounds too, despite them being on the high-gain side.

What do you think about? Any other suggestions? Let me only point out that I don't like active pickups, otherwise you can suggest me anything you think might be a good option ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
you should try it as it comes, I have this guitar and I think the full shred 7 is an awesome pickup, it is probably the best sounding guitar I have. Mine has the Jazz 7 in the neck, so I can get decent cleans and lead sound.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i've got the same pickup set (59-Full Shred) on a 25.5" mahogany+maple cap 6 stringer, with individual coil splits (which i highly recommend you do as a mod in case it doesn't come stock). the middle and neck positions are great for thick doomy style metal, the bridge might be a tiny bit thin for it though. it's clear and tight with a bit of a vintage voicing. i hope they won't disappoint you for what you want though, they're killer pickups

Der JD

Reaction score
I've got a SLS 6-string and have tried a few different pickups in it (Duncan Distortion, JB, Dimarzio Dominion...maybe more, can't really remember). What I do remember is that the Full Shred sounded the best, especially for tight lows and downtuning. It just works in that guitar. I've tried the Full Shred in other guitars and didn't like it as much. I'd give the stock pickups a shot.

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
Thank you for the advices!
The guitar arrived this morning and since tonight I had to play some ambient guitar sets, I took her with (btw I got it from Drum City Guitarland, really a sweet online shop, with a really good and nice client support).
I must say I'm really amazed how it sounds, really on the concept I had in mind (a bright sounding 7 string)! I still have to make a better setup (especially higher strings action, I want also to rewire the electronics, I only need 1 master volume, 1 tone and the split for the pickups, maybe I was wondering about adding a piezo pickup on the third remaining pot), but the guitar is really sweet! Despite the 2 HB the sound still retains a strat voicing, with a really cool snappy and funky attack (like Chassless wrote it really has a kind of a vintage vibe).
And unplugged it's really loud (so loud that a friend thought it was hollowbody!).
I mostly played with neck and both pickups together but I'm liking them a lot, maybe only the bridge pickup alone is still a bit too bright for my likings, but I also still have to set it right (height from the strings).

I just have to set it right and them play her more, but so far I'm really really amazed a lot!

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
btw I did a quick research.
Mine is a 2012 model (the one with the skull inlay at the 12th fret) and the neck pickup is a Jazz not a 59!

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
btw, do anybody here ever tried the Black Winters? What are your thoughts/experiences about this pickups?

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
So after a week where I extendedly played the guitar I decided to keep the Jazz in the neck position, it is a really sweet sounding pickup!
On the other end the Fullshred sounds to me not so full and a bit to less gainy for my needs. So I've ordered a Black Winter.

chopeth

Reaction score
So after a week where I extendedly played the guitar I decided to keep the Jazz in the neck position, it is a really sweet sounding pickup!
On the other end the Fullshred sounds to me not so full and a bit to less gainy for my needs. So I've ordered a Black Winter.

Wow, that is going to be a great upgrade for your SLS, I have owned two, an active (didn't like the blackouts very much) and a passive (I think exactly the same as RustInPeace about the FullShred, but I deeply loved the jazz) and neither of them convinced me. Had the Black Winter existed then, I wouldn't have hesitated installing it. Tell us about how it results.

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
Wow, that is going to be a great upgrade for your SLS, I have owned two, an active (didn't like the blackouts very much) and a passive (I think exactly the same as RustInPeace about the FullShred, but I deeply loved the jazz) and neither of them convinced me. Had the Black Winter existed then, I wouldn't have hesitated installing it. Tell us about how it results.

Yes, I have the same feelings about the Fullshred, also to me it sound kind of dull and thin. I think this Black Winter will shine in the bridge. from the video samples I found on youtube this should bring more gain but still with a bright open sound like I'm liking now about this guitar.

btw this is the stuff I?m playing with the SLS:
Ambient Live Guitars @ EXIL, Zurich - Montags 512 - YouTube

Gila_Crisis

Reaction score
So almost 2hours ago I received the Black Winter and installed it in the guitar.. I was playing it until now.
What can I say? ... simply WOW! The BW is really a great pickup!
At first it was a bit unbalanced with the neck pickup (way to loud and present), but after adjusting the height from the strings I finally got the right balance between both PUs.
Anyhow it sounds the way I was expecting it to be: clear with a good shiny presence and the balls I was missing with the fullshred (mostly in the low end).
The cleans are wonderful, bright but full.
With heavy distortions I love the presence of each the note with this jangly attack which reminds of a single coil kind of sound. The sound is tight, full and really balanced, not too much mids nor boomy lows or perching trebles.

And together with Jazz in the neck they cope really well together!
Simply highly recommended!

b8d5c387-25d9-4ffe-9def-d90d0631db1f_zps64529aee.jpg

')