Putting a flame maple top on?

• Thread starter EchelonXIII
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EchelonXIII

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A while ago I got an Ibanez RG1527 body which I decided to make into a neat little project. I have decided that I want to mod the crap out of it, and after coming up with a bunch of cool ideas I felt that it should be the pimpiest of them all.
It should come in fabulous white and gold. Now my question is as follows: The true cherry on the cake would be a flame maple top, with a natural binding like an Ibanez 3120
Pic related:

ibanez-rg3120-392958.jpg

Obviously, an Ibanez RG1527 doesn't come with a flame maple top in stock, I want to get a 4MM flame top, stain it trans-white, and get that awesome natural binding going. But in order to do that, I need to remove the appropriate amount of wood to accomodate the top.
Now my question is as follows: would one be able to remove 4mm's of wood equally with a C&C machine so the flame can be put on?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can remove it with a CNC, but you're going to have a heck of a time programming it and getting it just right.

A skilled builder should be able to get it done fairly easily if they already have experience topping and carving guitars.

moikey

Reaction score
Like MaxOfMetal said, its going to be a pain. Especially the forearm contour. As I understand purely from looking into it, 3d files are much more expensive than 2d (engraving) to have CNCd, and the forearm contour is going to warrant some 3d programming.

Another options is to sand it down, get a 1-2mm flame maple top and cut a binding channel in the body. You can get curly maple binding from stewmac which looks awesome. The effect would be much the same, but without the headache and expense of CNC.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
+1 to the Veneer - The Laguna Greg Howe model I just got has one in 3A grade, and the grain makes the top look thicker than it is. Adding the binding will complete the illusion, and no one but an experienced builder would be able to tell upon examination.

SandyRavage

Reaction score
It's gonna be easier and cheaper to build a brand new body or have one made than to retop an existing guitar. You can also choose your body woods and really get something special. Just my 2 cents.

VanDewart Guitars

Reaction score
You could run it through a thickness planer pretty easily, but it will completely blow out the front of the control cavity, and the forearm contour would be a major hassle. +1 to building a new body.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Couldn't you rough in a new forearm contour with a rasp and clean it up with hand planes or with sanding? You know, like when you're doing the contour normally on any other body.

')