Q for all those RG7321 mod masters

• Thread starter Sewe Dae
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sewe Dae

Reaction score
Hi.

After playing 6 stringers for the past ten years I've finally gotten my hands on a seven, so now it's time to find out whether these babies really are gateways to unrivalled realms of expression and exploration, or whether they're just a reason to look cool and sneer at 6-stringers.

I picked up an RG7321 to play around on 'coz I'm not serious about the sevens yet. It's still got the stock pickups, and wired with 09 - 52 strings, which are a bit thin for me (I'm used to 10-46's on my sixes).

K on to the question. Got some problems with tone: When on the neck pickups with distortion I feel the tone is too flabby, and tuned to the bridge the sound just loses all shape for me and becomes like a chainsaw. Playing clean the neck pickup is surprisingly responsive though. Natural harmonics warble when distorted, especially on the low B, and tone is unsteady across the board.

EDIT: Almost forgot: for some bizarre reason the strings seem to change their tuning when the pickup selector is on different settings. When tuned in one position they seem to go ever so slightly flat in another, especially on the bridge (???)

Obviously I'm getting fatter strings ASAP, with at least a 056 on the low B. And I want to get new pickups, ideally DiMarzio Evolution 7's or Blazes, or Duncan SH-4's. How will these modifications change the tone? Anything else I can do to make it meaner?

Thanks.
J.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Looneygah1

Reaction score
K on to the question. Got some problems with tone: When on the neck pickups with distortion I feel the tone is too flabby, and tuned to the bridge the sound just loses all shape for me and becomes like a chainsaw.

Thats because the stock pups are in it:noway:. The Ibanez7321's need a pickup upgrade off the shelf. I used to own one and traded it like within the next week. Probably would have been a good guitar if i wasn't so damn lazy and changed the pups. But yes that should handle the tone problem.
Cheers,
Anthony:shred:

Sewe Dae

Reaction score
Sure, every review you read mentions that the stock pickups are terrible, so it is by default that I'll be replacing the bridge pickup at least. The real questions I'm asking are, what do you replace it with, will this fix the magical detuning of the pickup selector, and what influence does string gauge have on the RG7321?

J.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i just bought a 7321 minutes ago. impulse buy... :lol:

but to keep things relevant here...

common pickup combos:

1. Evo7/AN7
2. Evo7/Blaze Neck
3. Blaze Bridge/Neck
4. DS7/AN7
5. Seymour Duncan Blackouts
6. EMG 707s or 81-7/707

i am going to do an x2n-7/blaze bridge and see how that turns out. :shrug:

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
There is no physically possible way the pickup selector can cause strings to be in a different tune. However, there is the small chance the pickups are too close, allowing the magnets to detune the strings, but this would show up in any pickup position.

And people, from what I saw, have answered your question exactly what you asked, so lose the snark.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
Well, so much for the "Seven String Guitar Authority" huh?

J.

If you wanted to be sarcastic you could've written something like /sarcasm or similar. If that was what you really meant then that attitude won't get you far.

Search is your friend. You'll find a lot of threads about modded 7321's :yesway:

We're not a hotline here, we're a forum where people share knowledge (and swear sometimes :lol:). You have 3 posts and all of them are in this (your) thread. That doesn't really tell me that you're interested in being a part of this place. That's okay but don't expect everybody to rush to help you.

And by the way i don't know what you expect when you register and ask only one question without even using the search-function while ignoring all the other threads.
This is a forum, you're welcome. Be part of it and you will benefit from it.
Ask only one question and show no interest to other threads and stuff -> don't expect to get flooded by helpful posts.

Again: There's a shitload of cool 7321 mods, you just have to search and we do have a thread with a lot of (sevenstring) pickup reviews. You'll find it if you want.

And to answer your question:

The Evolution is always a great pickup in basswod (the 7321 has a basswood body) in my oppinion. I have the X2N7 (bridge) in my modded 7321 and an air Norton (neck) and i love that sound to death. If you play with the idea of putting in an X2N7 then you should really try to test a X2N (six string version). It's not exaaaaactly the same sound but it'll give you an idea.
I don't have any experience with SD SH4's so i can not help you there.

If you want to know how the sound changes just search through the Recording studio section and look for some clips with a 7321 or most other basswood ibanezes with the pickups you want.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
SH4 in basswood is a bad idea IMO, go Evo7/AN7 if you're dead set on dimarzio, it's a good starting point.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Dude, that's what -- your 3rd or 4th new guitar in as many months? ;)

Rad though. I adore my 7321. :metal:

Yeah it's bad. I have another one being built too :lol:

I'm addicted. I need to do some work on a couple of my others and I just keep buying new ones instead. Not the best plan... hehe

But I got it at guitar center for like $270. I had to do it.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Yeah it's bad. I have another one being built too :lol:

I'm addicted. I need to do some work on a couple of my others and I just keep buying new ones instead. Not the best plan... hehe

But I got it at guitar center for like $270. I had to do it.

Nice. GC Fairfax? That's where I got mine for about the same price.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
yup. it was brand spankin' new. not a single ding or scratch on the body. still had the plastic on the tuners. but apparently it was used. i'm stripping it now. :yesway:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i put up a poll in another thread. either natural or a burnt/stained burst (surface burns and a literally burnt burst around the perimeter--either green or blue)

i love that i work literally right across the street from guitar center. it's kind of a bad thing too, though i suppose haha

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
i put up a poll in another thread. either natural or a burnt/stained burst (surface burns and a literally burnt burst around the perimeter--either green or blue)

i love that i work literally right across the street from guitar center. it's kind of a bad thing too, though i suppose haha

Radio Shack? Borders? Chipotle? Shit.. what else is in there.. Hallmark, is it? ;)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
yes... that's the area. chipotle... hmmmm.... :yum:

and radio shack is so clutch on so many days... :lol:

Sewe Dae

Reaction score
Alrighty, couple of good replies, thanks guys.

The Evolution has gotten some very good reviews, agreed, but Blazes and Duncans too. Don't like the X2N "high output" idea, my amp has a volume control with which I can achieve that. EMG's are just not on, I don't like the sound. Basically I've shortlisted a few based on other threads (yes, I've actually read them!) and now I'm planning on looking around for what's in local shops. I was wondering about the differences in sound between the Evo's/Blaze/SH-4 though.

Also, about the strings question...? Anyone got some input?

Oh, sorry if I had to poke the bear a bit, but let's face it, the "snark" got some answers: all of 51 people had viewed the thread with only two posts, so I thought I'd attract some attention ;) Now at least I have 4 answers. Yay!

Thanks again!

J.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Sorry -- I'm always unintentionally derailing threads. ;)

I put a Lundgren M7 in my bridge position (Nice, balanced across all 7 strings, bright) and replaced the Ibanez switch with a StewMac switch. I also replaced the string saddles with ones from Graph Tech. :yesway:

If the strings feel floppy, get thicker strings. That's a no-brainer. For what it's worth, I bypassed the .50 gauges altogether and use a .70 for my low A. (.10s for the other 6 strings.)

If you're only tuning to B on the bottom, you won't need to go that far, but basically, you should check out the tension calculator spreadsheet @ daddario's website and figure out what the tension rating for your preferred 6 string gauges are, and pick a string that will have the same tension tuned to B. (or whatever you're tuning to.) :yesway:

')