Quad Cortex CorOS 3.0 - with Plug-in Compatibility - Launching July 31st

• Thread starter lattjeful
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the HX Stomp is a very cool unit. I always think about picking one up, but there is just something about the sound I dont like. The amps dont seem to have depth, and it takes a lot of fiddling. The effects are more pedal-sounding than rack-studio-sounding. I also hate the way L6 does EQs. The overall package is great though.

I am fine with Fractal UI. I have used them for years without an editor, so I can fly around them quickly. The FM3 is easier than the Axe II I have, and both are easier than the old Axe Standard I had. All of them are easier than my old 90s rack gear, lol.
Their modeling has gotten much better since they released the cab update a year or two ago or whatever it was. Part of my decision to get rid of my FM3 was because of how easy I found the modeling to dial in with Helix Native. Fractal is more accurate, but if I take that out of the equation and just focus on getting a good sound, I don't feel like I'm left severely wanting there. Most of what I'd want on their modeling side is more amps; there's barely anything compared to Fractal.

Not sure I agree on the effects. I replaced my BigSky, Ola and Collider with the Stomp and the reverbs and delays in the Stomp are great. When I'd A/B'd the BigSky with it, I slightly preferred it, but I also feel like that had to do with my inexperience dialing it in. I haven't even remotely thought about buying any other time based or modulation effects since. There are certain effects that I know the FM3 does better (ie: Reverse Delay) and they are much more tweakable as well. The newer delay and reverbs on the Stomp are really, really good, though.

Fractal is probably better everywhere else. I've never used their EQ, compressor, phaser, tremolo, etc as I either already have that pedal on my board, or I don't use that effect. However, the one exception being that, I was never able to get the Fractal boosts to work for me outside of with their amp modeling. As an effect into a real amp, they always sounded weird and the amp didn't react the same as it would with the real pedal - the Helix drives are great. I avoided them for a long time but I could easily replace all my drives with just the Helix if I wanted to. I will say - I don't like any of the fuzzes in the Stomp... but I also don't really like fuzz in general.

Latest posts

')