Quad Cortex or Fractal FM3?

• Thread starter spaghetti_time
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spaghetti_time

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Howdy!
Have a Helix but I'm currently loaning it to my bandmate for his rig as he's found more success with it for bass/synths. Never really got along with the high gain amp models in it and mostly used it with preamp pedals and for it's effects. I'm looking at replacing it with a Quad Cortex or FM3 in turn. I really like the idea of the capture mode of the Quad for pedals and preamps but the FM3 not having said mode is not a dealbreaker for me. I use quite a bit of pitch shifting/reverb/delay/modulation effects in my signal chain. Just looking for some advice in navigating the modelling world. Thanks for your time!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
I use quite a bit of pitch shifting/reverb/delay/modulation effects in my signal chain. Just looking for some advice in navigating the modelling world. Thanks for your time!
Hiya. I’d also say FM3. One reason is because its effects are absolutely amazing (as are the amp models). However you’ll want to have some FM3 users build a few sample presets for you to check the CPU usage to ensure you can fit everything you want. It probably can, but it would be a good idea to verify.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Can’t comment on the pitch shifting capabilities of the FM3 (i just haven’t spent any time with them), but all the other effects are top notch, probably Strymon level, though I’m not sure if it’s capable of producing some of that same magic (like from the El Cap).

And both the high gain and clean models are superb.

You do need a good power amp though, as that will dramatically effect the tone. The EVH 5150iii 50w has been my absolute favorite so far.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
You have a lot of old-guard guys like Vai and Troochi replacing their Eventide pitch shifters and Lexicon reverbs by going nearly all-Fractal with their effects, so I think it's safe to say that yeah, you're in good hands.

I do recall one of the big complaints with the QC being the quality of the effects.

laxu

Reaction score
I want to like the QC but even now a year after release it’s still not quite there. FM3 is a solid product but it has limited number of switches and is a bit hard to read as a floor unit.

The Thing Upstairs

Reaction score
I own the axefx3 and owned a QC. Sold the QC recently.

for gigging, the FM3 is cheaper and more robust. The effects are significntly better in quantity, quality and routing options (I don’t own FM3 and am basing this on my AF3).

The foot switches on the QC are closer together as well. I vastly prefer spacing, feel and labels on my mk1 FC.

I really like the QC but ultimately I sold it. If in a gigging environment I’d be tempted to put it in a rack and use a midi controller. This really adds to the cost Which is another point in favour of fractal.

if you search my posts you’ll see I raved about the QC and rightly so. But after FW20 the subjective almost imperceivable advantage the QC had is gone (so sold it).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty sure all current gen fractal products have the w@rped vinyl factory preset for said el cap goodness.

Ross82

Reaction score
Fractal 100% but I would recommend the FM9, more processing power and switches. The FM3/FC6 combo is a good choice too but then you have 2 separate units to deal with rather than all in one with the FM9.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
The Fractal until the QC matures a lot more than it is. Imo even then it's only really worth it if you have a lot of gear you'd like to capture.

DarthV

Reaction score
Fractal 100% but I would recommend the FM9, more processing power and switches. The FM3/FC6 combo is a good choice too but then you have 2 separate units to deal with rather than all in one with the FM9.

Good luck getting a FM9 in the near future, possible that it's got a longer wait than a QC. And you're right, if the OP likes a lot of effects, the FM3 might not have the CPU power to handled everything.

sleewell

Reaction score
Good luck getting a FM9 in the near future, possible that it's got a longer wait than a QC. And you're right, if the OP likes a lot of effects, the FM3 might not have the CPU power to handled everything.

I dont believe that QCs are in stock either so both would be a used over list price type of purchase.

Ross82

Reaction score
Ahh yes, I never thought about the stocking issue. Assuming he's not North American market then it will be a bit of a wait and I wouldn't recommend used market for FM3/FC6 route because the scalpers are on high-grade crack when it come to Fractal gear.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
4 channels per most effect blocks on fm3 means dsp is only a limitation if OP absolutely has to run a lot of blocks at once. What may be two delays and a reverb in the real world may be ch1 of a plex delay in the fm3.

robotwithhumanhair22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I personally lean more towards the FM3, but I have heard one advantage the QC has is that it can also be used as an audio interface whereas the FM3 cannot. Is this true?

Latest posts

')