Quality HD Headphones for late night playing.

• Thread starter Cloudy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
So I think I've narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamics and the ATH-M50s

Hopefully I'll be able to find a pair to try out, I'm worried about the glasses issue now.

Not a huge deal as I'm near sighted and can just take em off..but still.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
if you spend that much money go for flat response studio ones.

senheisser hd 25 is a great pair that has interchangeble cable which guaranties that they gonna last forever. most djs and a lot of drummers use them live
its small, so you can also use outdoors.
and really great design with a lot of degrees of adjustment flexibility. also unbrakable

audio technica m50s are also great. larger with more headroom.

you can't go wrong with these

no experience with the beyers but i heard they are good

infreaks

Reaction score
Ahh yeah I do wear glasses, thats a factor I should definitely look into.

Hahaha... The headphone will make the nose pads push your nose quite strong and that will hurt after sometime, not to mention that when you need to flip one side of the earcup (the left or right) it will mess up your glasses and when you want to take off the headphone your glasses will fall or... Almost fall, thats quite irritating.... :lol:

But i think most of the hi quality headphones (the one that offers maximum isolation, for mixing reference, flat response) are not user friendly with glasses people :(

Many of great sound engineer that i know of use ath m-50 for their mixing works as a reference and monitor, and i also like it a lot when using it for listening music, i could hear details that i never heard before, its that good.... Just Try it for yourself :)

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I can vouch for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. Fantastic head phones for both recording/mixing purposes, and using with modelers

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
I have a pair of Shure SRH840, and while they sound pretty good, even frequencies and such, they are heavy and pretty uncomfortable for me, and I also use glasses (thick rimmed ones) so after maybe an hour of wearing them my ears start to hurt, bad :noplease:

I'm going to get so bashed for this :lol: but my sister got me a pair of in-ear beats for my birthday (I think they're called beats tour or something like that) and while they are most definitely not suited for studio use (a bit intense on the bass side lol) they are by far the most confortable earphones I've used, and they still sound very good IMO. So if you're going to live with 5 people you'll probably end up using your earphones not only for late-night jamming, but for pretty much everything else, and just for comfortability's sake, I'd go in-ears instead of headphones.

just my :2c: :)

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I have a pair of Shure SRH840, and while they sound pretty good, even frequencies and such, they are heavy and pretty uncomfortable for me, and I also use glasses (thick rimmed ones) so after maybe an hour of wearing them my ears start to hurt, bad :noplease:

I'm going to get so bashed for this :lol: but my sister got me a pair of in-ear beats for my birthday (I think they're called beats tour or something like that) and while they are most definitely not suited for studio use (a bit intense on the bass side lol) they are by far the most confortable earphones I've used, and they still sound very good IMO. So if you're going to live with 5 people you'll probably end up using your earphones not only for late-night jamming, but for pretty much everything else, and just for comfortability's sake, I'd go in-ears instead of headphones.

just my :2c: :)

Yeah..I don't think ear in is going to accomplish what I'm looking for unfortunately.

Also for every day use (IE: Running and what not) I have iPod headphones that I have no issues using.

exclamation-mark

Reaction score
I had a pair of SRH840's and they only lasted about a year before crapping out. Both sides of the headphones actually broke off - I epoxied one side back together, only to have the other side snap off literally a day later! I would use them for up to 8 hours a day, so that probably had a lot to do with it. But if you're a heavy headphone user, I would avoid anything that's completely made of plastic. Another issue I had with the shure's were the drivers making crackling noises at certain frequencies, almost a clipping effect. I never got to the bottom of it, since I couldn't be bothered gluing it back together and just got a new pair of headphones instead.

I'm currently using some cheapo superlux HD668B headphones I got off ebay for about 30 bucks, and I've had them for roughly 2 years now without an issue. They're semi open so they're pretty bad at any form of isolation. Compared to the SRH840's they have a tad more bass/midrange - the SRH840's kind of sounded tinny to these ones, although that may have something to do with the driver issues mentioned before (and probably superior treble response). I generally mix using monitors, so I don't know exactly how both the shure and superlux perform in that regard.

If I were to get a new set of headphones in the upper price bracket, I'd absolutely make sure they have some sort of flexible metal substructure (most AKG's and Sennheisers are good in this regard).

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I had a pair of SRH840's and they only lasted about a year before crapping out. Both sides of the headphones actually broke off - I epoxied one side back together, only to have the other side snap off literally a day later! I would use them for up to 8 hours a day, so that probably had a lot to do with it. But if you're a heavy headphone user, I would avoid anything that's completely made of plastic. Another issue I had with the shure's were the drivers making crackling noises at certain frequencies, almost a clipping effect. I never got to the bottom of it, since I couldn't be bothered gluing it back together and just got a new pair of headphones instead.

I'm currently using some cheapo superlux HD668B headphones I got off ebay for about 30 bucks, and I've had them for roughly 2 years now without an issue. They're semi open so they're pretty bad at any form of isolation. Compared to the SRH840's they have a tad more bass/midrange - the SRH840's kind of sounded tinny to these ones, although that may have something to do with the driver issues mentioned before (and probably superior treble response). I generally mix using monitors, so I don't know exactly how both the shure and superlux perform in that regard.

If I were to get a new set of headphones in the upper price bracket, I'd absolutely make sure they have some sort of flexible metal substructure (most AKG's and Sennheisers are good in this regard).

I actually hadn't factored in partial metal headphones that makes a lot of sense (Im constantly dropping shit and what not so I imagine full plastic is going to break pretty quick)

Thanks a lot man, I'll have to see if anything I'm looking at right now is metal. :metal:

Latest posts

')