Quality of S7G and Carvin?

• Thread starter JacobShredder
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really interested to try an S7. zimbloth will have some coming into his shop soon and I will probably snag one if it has specs I like.
I loved the Carvin I had while I had it but there were several things about it that made me sell it and I will not buy another one until they makes some changes over there.
#1.Licensed Floyds.
The metal they use on thier licensed 7 string trem is so soft it's a joke. It stays in tune just fine but the screws strip really quickly and the soft metal rapes the tone of the guitar. Plus the one that came on mine had a ton of play on the arm, and the gold starting coming off after 2 weeks of moderate use. (the thing just sucked).
#2. Whoever bevels the fret ends on the stainless steel frets is a buffoon.
They go way to far into the fret and you lose quite a bit of the fret.
#3. No neck binding is available.
???? that is really lame.
# 4. Proprietary pickups.
they suck, and every knows they suck , why do they continue to go down this road?
Until Carvin changes these 4 things they will never see another cent from me.

I'm hoping Strickly 7 is to my liking when I actually get one in my hands.
I'm really Gasing for a 7 with a maple fret board. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
S7G is officially out the window at the quote they gave me hahaha

Now I need suggestions on other non locking trem-active pickup 7's for around $1500-$1700

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With massive respect towards your KxK collection etc. I don't think what bugs YOU [FONT=&quot]necessarily[/FONT] means that it needs to be "worked out". Different strokes etc. [which may be what you meant? before you would consider buying one etc?]

He asked the reason for what I said, I told him. Given I explicitly said "things I'd want changed" I'm not sure how you could manage to misinterpret it as something other than my opinion.

S7G is officially out the window at the quote they gave me hahaha

Now I need suggestions on other non locking trem-active pickup 7's for around $1500-$1700

Sorry to hear that. For that price with a figured top etc I'd probably just go Carvin

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. For that price with a figured top etc I'd probably just go Carvin

It's cool man, its just weird cause ive quoted more fancy (IMO) guitars from them before and the prices weren't as extreme. Not sure what happened.

It's not that I have to have a figured top or anything but if I were to go carvin then a figured top would be a must. They have some of the nicest tops I've ever seen before. The bummer is the pickup situation.

I'm also considering hunting down a used EBMM JP7. I just desire a nonlocking 7 string to go with my already locking 7.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I would go with a used EBMM JP7 dude if ur not going with the S7 anymore. JP7's are killer guitars :yesway:

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Strictly 7s prices may have increased with all the new work he is getting. I'm not sure about that though.

If S7G is out of the way, you could look into Stinnett Guitars

They have been mentioned recently and the products look AMAZING for the prices.

Edit: Or Guitar Logistics LLC - index He is a member here. Here is a recent build thread of his - http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-group-buys/145560-project-s906-5-a.html

Those are some nice-looking axes!

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Strictly 7s prices may have increased with all the new work he is getting. I'm not sure about that though.

If S7G is out of the way, you could look into Stinnett Guitars

They have been mentioned recently and the products look AMAZING for the prices.

Edit: Or Guitar Logistics LLC - index He is a member here. Here is a recent build thread of his - http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/dealers-group-buys/145560-project-s906-5-a.html

Funny thing is I started following Stinnett guitars from his first build. The guy makes some absolutely amazing stuff.

I'll looki into the guitar logistics though :hbang:

As far as the JP7 I've heard that they're amazing guitars but I've never got to try one out. I've got like a month and a half left before I'll be ordering something :yesway:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
The other thing with Carvins is to just scan the "in stock" section of the website because every once in a while they have a really cool 727 or 747 up there for less than the custom price.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
My anaconda is one of the beast guitars i've ever played, far above the carvins I tried.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-sale-trade-wanted/141565-feeler-strictly-7-anaconda-8-string.html

With massive respect towards your KxK collection etc. I don't think what bugs YOU [FONT=&quot]necessarily[/FONT] means that it needs to be "worked out". Different strokes etc. [which may be what you meant? before you would consider buying one etc?]

Consider this as well. S7G WILL change the headstock shape for you. Carvin will not. S7G WILL change the neck heel for you. Carvins neck thru is fine. S7G you have a choice of neck thru or bolt neck, no such choice at Carvin. S7G WILL change the TOP for you [they did on mine and for no additional charge. I prefer the whole top showing just the top wood.]

S7G LOVES 7strings, 8 strings, 6 strings, Baritones etc. Carvin has had 1 seven string model for over 10 years, stated they will NEVER do an extended scale 7 string and good luck on the 8 string ha.

fwiw - I have owned both. imho S7G>Carvin. Because...

S7G customer service is so far better than Carvin's it is not even close. I can not stress enough how much S7G's customer service exceeds Carvin.

S7G prices are very close to Carvin's, slightly higher. However S7G, as someone already pointed out IS a true Custom Shop. You name it they do it. Carvin is a very good "Options" shop. If you were going to order a S7G with hardware and woods and electronics the same as what are available at Carvin [you like licensed Floyd's lol] then go ahead and order a Carvin. You will probably be very happy with it.

Carvin's build time is quicker than S7G. My Carvin took 6 weeks, but not really because they put the wrong finish on it so I had to sent it back for a rebuild which took another 5 weeks. My S7G took 12 weeks.

I will agree the S7G neck heel could be slightly changed. I am going to mod mine slightly. It is certainly not bad as is. For instance, the upper fret access on my Bolt Neck S7G is BETTER than on my Set Neck Loomis at the 24th fret. I have average size fingers and maybe slightly bigger sized hands for my height than average. I only have to stretch to reach the low B and low E at the 25th and 26th frets. Not bad in other words. I will post mine after I mod it, which will be in a few weeks at most. *** Also note that S7G is now offering NECK THRU models ***

Carvin's are nice. Really nice. Strictly 7 Guitars are what Carvins can not be, which are full on customs with spec's all to the buyers/players wishes and you get it with customer service that just kills Carvin's customer service.

I have owned both. I still have the S7G. Nuff' said. Before anyone flames me, I am in line for one of the new Carvin V3M amp heads lol.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/guitars-sale-trade-wanted/145828-ft-seven-string-axe-fx-ultra.html

Not picking on you guys but it does give me a rather epic case of the LOLZ seeing two of you claiming they are the best guitars ever and both of them are for sale/trade in the classifieds already.... :rofl: :ugh: :flame:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
It's cool man, its just weird cause ive quoted more fancy (IMO) guitars from them before and the prices weren't as extreme. Not sure what happened.

It's not that I have to have a figured top or anything but if I were to go carvin then a figured top would be a must. They have some of the nicest tops I've ever seen before. The bummer is the pickup situation.

I'm also considering hunting down a used EBMM JP7. I just desire a nonlocking 7 string to go with my already locking 7.

A rosewood/ebony neck, and an ebony top is pretty damn fancy man (and pricey). I was surprised that you thought something with those woods would be in Carvin range.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

Fancy as in your opinion or fancy as in the woods as actually mroe expensive currently on the market are 2 different issues. Current rosewood prices are higher, and seeing as you wanted rosewood that might have a lot to do with it. Keep in mind Jim is currently going through a boom phase (his production sky rocketed at NAMM) so he may have to charge more if you want to get in currently. Last I spoke to him he was appraoching 30 custom orders alone. (I am in that running).

JacobShredder

Reaction score
A rosewood/ebony neck, and an ebony top is pretty damn fancy man (and pricey). I was surprised that you thought something with those woods would be in Carvin range.

Considering the fact that the last quote i got from him had the same woods plus more mods and stuff, and was cheaper im still gonna say it wasnt anything fancy. Say what you will, I'm just saying that the price I got was way more than I expected from the last quote I got. And IIRC the quote from him last time was $1700 with all the same woods and an OFR+BKP's. Which is infact in the Carvin range.

Oh and just for whoever said he'll change the heel if you ask, he won't. I asked rofl :lol: he said I'd have to pay the upcharge for neckthrough which would have been a nice increase in price.

Ohwellll..atleast I have a short space of time to think about it :cool:

FLGearnut

Reaction score
i know this isnt part of the two companies you talked about, but maybe see if Bernie has any more of those heavily discounted 7's from that run he did a short while ago? its always possible some people who put down deposits backed out for whatever reason. You might be able to get a sick Rico for less than 2k

')