Quality Pots, Wires etc for pickups???

• Thread starter ThrustTony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThrustTony

Reaction score
I'm looking for decent quality pots, wires, capacitors etc to install a SD Nazgul and Sentient (Both Passive) 7 string active mount.

I've found a load of parts online but don't want to blindly buy the most expensive in hope of them being good quality.

Can anyone recommend a site where I can buy top quality parts preferably in the UK or available here?

Also do Seymour Duncan pickups come with these parts if the pickups are bought individually and not a set? :scratch:

One more question lol which pots do I go for with these pickups? 250 K 500K etc?

I've had noisy, poor sounding guitars in the passed where I'd imagine the cheap electrics have been used when I've upgraded pickups and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks in advance guys. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

man jerk

Reaction score
When I rewired my LP, I used a USB cable for the wiring. Worked out very well. Has the right amount of wires and is well shielded. Plus you probably have like 10 of them lying around.

Connor

Guy
Reaction score
STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Electronics, Pickups, Pots, Switches, Caps, Shielding and Parts at

CTS pots are what I've found to be the best. I tend to go with 500K but its a decision you'd have to make, 250K work well, the tone will be slightly different though. 250K tends to roll off the highs and be a touch warmer and are generally used for single coils.

Don't forget if you're changing from active to passive you'll have to ground the bridge.

Jason2112

I'm old school
Reaction score
I only use CTS pots, Sprague capacitors, Switchcraft jacks, and I use a combination of CRL, Oak-Grigsby, and Schaller Megaswitch blade selectors. That's based on years and years as a tech and a player, these components just don't fail.

For those pickups, I'd recommend CTS 500k audio taper for the volume, CTS 500k linear taper for the tone, a .022 cap on the tone pot, a .002 cap on the volume pot (treble bleed), and you're set.

Where to get them in the UK? I dunno, but Ebay should be a good start.

wakjob

Reaction score
I took the cheap way out with the 3-way switch on my last build only because it was the right color. It didn't last a couple of months.

Replaced it with a Switchcraft and man, what a difference. The quality is so immediately apparent.

Pots? CTS, Alpha, Bourns/Alps... all good quality. I tend to like the brass shaft ones if I'm using a knob that has a set screw.

I don't hear a difference in tone/sound quality between pot manufacturers. As long as they actually measure the same, I doubt anyone could hear it either.

7stg

Reaction score
These are the best pots I have seen and they have push pull if you want to wire that up. PDB183-GTR01-504A2 Bourns | Mouser

For hookup wire 22AWG is the largest gauge that will fit in the solder lugs of the push pull switch on the pot.

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
CTS brass on brass shaft pots are the finest available.Bourns makes the best P/P pots and cloth push back wire is still the standard for quality.Using other types of wire can often cause weak solder joints and the wire itself may tend to break strands easily.I`ve wired hundreds of guitars and used every wire known to man and have come back to using cloth push back and coated solid copper exclusively.Switchcraft switches.Capacitors are the area where you can individualize your tone.I don`t use mylar and I don`t use orange caps.There are much better caps cheaply available.A vintage poly film works very nice as does the Sprague ceramic disc.PIO caps are a bit too mellow (and a million people are trying to get rich off them).Cap value is the greater contributor to the overall tones adjustment.A small value cap .022 will be more like a fine tuning of the high tone frequency where a larger value .047 will go from full on treble to almost no high frequency coming through it`s a matter of preference. I never use Alpha ,no name or mini pots.I have a bucket of that crap.

')