Quartersawn Canary Neck!

• Thread starter dres_x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dres_x

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I just bought a quartersawn canary neck with a pau ferro fretboard from Warmoth. They say that it doesn't need a finish but I just want to check with you guys. Does anyone experienced know if I can just leave it raw and be ok?
Thanks!
Pics when it arrives :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Technically you don't have to put a solid finish on any wood. Though, be prepared to have to really baby it, just like you would a fretboard. That means that you're going to have to oil, and likely wax it on a regular basis, pay more attention to the shifting seasons, and you'll run the risk of staining the wood with your sweat, not to mention any bump will bruise and damage the wood.

It's viable, but you just have to be willing to care for it.

dres_x

Reaction score
It's listed as one of the exotic woods that don't require a hard finish for their warranty...but I just wanted to make sure that it's not going to warp on me at some point...I definitely won't be abusing this neck hahaha

Wax it? Right now for my fretboards I oil them around once or twice a year. Never used wax though. Not *too* worried about discoloration...warping is my main worry.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
There is no guarantee that any neck will not warp regardless of finish or care. There is probably so much oil in that wood that you would have a tough time putting a hard finish on it in the first place though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Finish or not an open neck will GENERALLY move more than a finished one. My one bolt on maple neck (guitar) is however and exception and ridiculously stable. My other open neck (5 string bass) as Max suggests needs lots of love and attention, look the wrong way on a transition moth for weather and spend DAYS dialing it back down due to massive drift. That said I greatly prefer not having a finish on my neck, except for G&Ls, they have a finish I am literally indifferent to (that is a good thing).

Purelojik

Reaction score
i have a peavey wolfgang that i bought over 13 years ago. its got an unfinished maple neck with a birdseye maple fretboard. its still straight as a ruler. and i havent been doing much with it at all. its dirty as all hell but has a really cool look to it lol. also have a wenge seven string neck from warmoth and took it from here to my med school in india and built the rest of the guitar there, its still holding up through everything including the ridiculous humidity and weather there.

then again i like it when i dont have to tiptoe around my gear, helps me loosen up and become more creative. anyhow i say a thin coat of satin couldnt hurt, but honestly im with the guy above me, unfinished necks feel amazing.

')