Qucifer's Oni-8

• Thread starter Qucifer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Qucifer

Reaction score
One thing that doesn't really come through in the pictures is just how nice this guitar feels. It's very, very comfortable to play... in a way that I haven't really experienced from another builder. It has an asymmetrical neck carve, and what feels like a fairly flat fretboard radius... Those, combined with the sculpting and overall geometry makes for a really, really playable guitar.

The fretwork and action are also very much above average.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
One thing that doesn't really come through in the pictures is just how nice this guitar feels. It's very, very comfortable to play... in a way that I haven't really experienced from another builder. It has an asymmetrical neck carve, and what feels like a fairly flat fretboard radius... Those, combined with the sculpting and overall geometry makes for a really, really playable guitar.

The fretwork and action are also very much above average.

One thing I haven't seen, what wood is the neck & body?

Qucifer

Reaction score
One thing I haven't seen, what wood is the neck & body?

The body is ash. The neck and fretboard are pau ferro. The top is zebrawood (a nice birdseye piece, at that). The binding and pickup bobbin tops are holly.

That was on 8/25. *ahem* More pics please? :D

I've got a long weekend coming up... I'll try and snag a few more shots to share. There are some other angles that need to be shown off...

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
That holly binding is pretty sweet. :hbang:

Assymetrical neck carves are either the greatest or the most annoying things in the world. Sometimes they feel absolutely amazing and sometimes they're uncomftable as hell. (more common when it's a production neck carve or done by someone who doesn't usually do a lot of full guitars)

But I couldn't imagine Dan putting out anything short of absoutley fantastic.

Fler

Òran Mór
Reaction score
I imagine it will be the beginning of next year. He has the B6 run to finish (which has been set back by a number of factors, one being Doug breaking a few ribs in a motorbike accident), then a three or four more custom orders, then he starts the 6 orders he took around March (which will be built in the order that he received the deposits in). I believe that once those 6 are underway, he will look to take more orders.
Him dropping to 6 guitars per batch is so that he has time to have a life, as well as develop a few new techniques and designs (one being the F7) he hasn't been able to work on due to being snowed under a huge number of orders.

And yes, the deposit is £500.

They certainly are for you guys over the pond, where the exchange rate screws you over very badly. For a UK builder, his prices are moderate, tending towards very reasonable if you take into account the quality of his work, and the woods and construction he uses as standard.

I'd definitely like to see more info and pictures of Dan's work, I'm sure it would help to have the dedicated thread as mentioned

Bike accident? Ouch...I worry about my drummer all the time seeming he's a biker. Theyre a strange breed. Hrmm i'll have to wait and look out for when the books open then. Gives me time to sort out more finances for more purchases too. Diezel!

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn, sometimes I'm glad I don't have a chance to ride anymore.

Great idea to bring all the pics into a single post. I think I've got most of them in a single place now so I'll go through them again and upload a selection into the wonderful sevenstring.org image host in the morning.

')