Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

• Thread starter maliciousteve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I just found this Cd on my shelf (I thought i'd lost it), so i've been listening to it all afternoon. I first listened to it when I was around 13 I think (I'm 20 now) and it still blows me away. Every song is well written, great tones, great vocals, great playing. It has everything. One of the best albums of all time.

They're just as good live too.

Who agrees?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
+1 :agreed:

This is one of my favorite albums, period. I first heard it the day it was released and I still love it.

Though I am still pissed the Pittsburgh date on the Mindcrime II tour got cancelled :rant:

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
This album was the pinnacle of thier career IMO. It was the perfect album at the perfect time.

I should add Rage For Order was pretty damn good too!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Empire rocked too, but in a totally different way.

They really need to kick Chris DeGarmo's ass and get him to start writing some songs again, as none of the others seem willing to pick up the slack.

I've always though DeGarmo was one of the most underrated players ever; his composing and arranging was totally unlike anyone else's, and he was pretty underappreciated as a soloist. Plus, on O:MC they got some of the most perfect guitar tones ever committed to tape.

'I Don't Believe In Love' = Best dual guitar solo EVER!!!:shred:

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Empire rocked too, but in a totally different way.

They really need to kick Chris DeGarmo's ass and get him to start writing some songs again, as none of the others seem willing to pick up the slack.

I've always though DeGarmo was one of the most underrated players ever; his composing and arranging was totally unlike anyone else's, and he was pretty underappreciated as a soloist. Plus, on O:MC they got some of the most perfect guitar tones ever committed to tape.

'I Don't Believe In Love' = Best dual guitar solo EVER!!!:shred:

I could not have said it better!!! :yesway:

Degarmo was the jem in the band. I think Tate is most responsible for the fall of the band over the years. For some reason along the way he thought they should become less of a metal/prog band and try to appeal to the masses more.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I could not have said it better!!! :yesway:

Degarmo was the jem in the band. I think Tate is most responsible for the fall of the band over the years. For some reason along the way he thought they should become less of a metal/prog band and try to appeal to the masses more.

Michael Wilton has a lot to answer for as well. The band's guitar sounds seem to get progressively worse with each passing year.

YYZ2112

Um, yeah.....
Contributor
Reaction score
Michael Wilton has a lot to answer for as well. The band's guitar sounds seem to get progressively worse with each passing year.

True... I think it just shows how much much they really miss DeGarmo.
Oh well..... maybe someday they can reunite and do a complete album together and lose this Stone dude.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I LOVE TO SEE THE RE-VISIT SOME OF THE THEMES & NUANCES OF RFO, WHICH IS MY MOST FAVE CD OF THEIRS, MINDCRIME 2ND.

PUT ON SOME HEADPHONES & LISTEN TO THE SOLO ON LONDON.

IT ALWAYS GIVES ME GOOSEBUMPS, JUST LIKE COMFORTABLY NUMB BY PINK FLOYD.

angusyoungwanabe

ss.org's Diabetic
Reaction score
+1 here as well. i had never heard a single song till i bought it, after reading an interview with wilton, petrucci and some other guy (big tour thing) in guitar world. i love it.:hbang: :shred:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ironic....I've been listening to Mindcrime nonstop for the past week. I haven't heard it all the way through in ages. Awesome CD!

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Odd..I just listened to it all the way through(the best way to listen to it) not too long ago. I absolutely love Operation:MindCrime. When it first came out I couldn't stop listening to it. I still love it a lot. It's just a great piece of work.

crayzee

Treehugger
Reaction score
One of the few CDs I can listen to anytime, anyplace. The apex of their creative work, period. And they shouldn't have done Mindcrime II...

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
Operation Mindcrime is one of the most masterfully done albums of all time. Technically perfect, vocally superior. I saw them live at the HOB in Orlando a year ago. I had VIP seating and it was AMAZING!! Had a table, chairs for me and my wife, my own bartender and I was 30 feet from stage right. They completely did Operation Mindcrime with all of the theatrics. Geoff can still hit every note.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Deffinatly shouldn't of done Mindcrime 2. If they were to do it, they should of gotten DeGarmo back in the fold, because that album was bad.

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm embarassed to admit I've never given Queensryche a listen. I suppose I'll pick up this album and change that.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the few CDs I can listen to anytime, anyplace. The apex of their creative work, period. And they shouldn't have done Mindcrime II...

Completely agree.
MCII is terrible .
the Original is a classic.:shred:

')