Question about cabs

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which cab do you think is best?

• VHT

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Behringer

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Orange

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Other

Votes: 49 65.3%

• Total voters

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think we can count Jesse in for one for for Ashdown. :lol:

I'm not currently happy with my Mesa cab, either. Behringer is crap, IMO. Sorry if anyone out there likes their stuff, but I've given them several chances to impress me. I kind of like my Crate cab for practice at a buddy's house, because it weighs a fraction of what my Mesas weigh.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

garcia3441

Tone Whore
Contributor
Reaction score
Orange amps powered the British invasion, but the prices are high. Until 2003, when I left my former band, I used Matamps.

Shannon mentioned a company called Earcandy.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
Where does one buy C90s? Are they easy to install?

From a Mesa dealer. They're Mesa baskets and magnets, shipped to Celestion for cone and voicecoil installation, and then shipped back. The full name is Black Shadow 90w, but everyone just calls them C90's.

Great speakers, and set one next to a V30 sometime and just laugh at the V30. Mesa overbuilds.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been very pleased with my Genz Benz G-Flex 212. It's a very loud, punchy and versatile cabinet (16 ohms or 4 ohms mono, or dual 8 ohms stereo).

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I still like my marshall cabs. i've had the same two for close to 10 years or so now. it'd be nice to have really expensive nice cabs, but i do like the blend between the vintage 1975 cab i have (older than me, with original speakers) and the jcm800 with gt75's

I'd love to try some decent cabs and some boutique ones, but money really doesn't permit me to unfortunately!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
noodles said:
From a Mesa dealer. They're Mesa baskets and magnets, shipped to Celestion for cone and voicecoil installation, and then shipped back. The full name is Black Shadow 90w, but everyone just calls them C90's.

Great speakers, and set one next to a V30 sometime and just laugh at the V30. Mesa overbuilds.

You can also buy them directly from Boogie. They ain't cheap, but I do like them.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
noodles said:

I have c90's next to v30's everyday at practice, and I'm really starting to dislike the v30's...they're so buzzy in the midrange, they just sound like crap compared to the c90's...I currently have v30's in one mesa 4x12 and c90's in another, and I was going to match both cabs up in an "X" pattern, but the more I listen to the v30's, the more I want more c90's!:agreed:

...so if anybody is looking to buy 8 vintage 30's...:lol:

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
eaeolian said:
You can also buy them directly from Boogie. They ain't cheap, but I do like them.

Considering that a Vintage 30 sells for about $110, I don't think $130 for the much better C90 can be considered expensive. Speakers in general are just expensive.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Are speakers easy to install?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm considering putting in 2 C90s in my Mesa 4x12 w/ v30s. See how it goes.

Brord

Furor Teutonicus
Reaction score
Just looked at the Vader Cab. site and I'm pretty interested in seeing something new on the market. Anybody had any experience with those? It's a bit of a problem for me to try one for I live in the Netherlands... I'm really curious.

What about Carvin cabs????

AbsentCurtis

Avoiding work
Reaction score
Brord said:
Just looked at the Vader Cab. site and I'm pretty interested in seeing something new on the market. Anybody had any experience with those? It's a bit of a problem for me to try one for I live in the Netherlands... I'm really curious.

What about Carvin cabs????

I had a Carvin cab for 15 years before it got stolen. Witht he gear that I had previously (first a Pearce preamp and Carvin power amp, then a Digitech 2120 and Carvin power amp) it sounded amazing. And, it can handle 300w. Now I have a Marshall cab with Eminence modeling speakers, which work great for modeling amps... very little colorization of the sound.

SILENT FACTOR

7's are Metal!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the Carvin's are good. I really do like the Behringer(it has to be the split slant with the jensens though), its very wide open and punches great.

I guess my only real pet peaves are with Marshalls (I have heard so many of these blowing speakers,even on 50w tube heads), Ampegs ( Had one and it seemed so lifeless and thin. It also weighed like 1 lb. Made of balsa wood?), and anything in 16ohm's. I dont know what it is, 8 ohm cabs just sound way better to me.

shishin

Reaction score
I'm curious about Carvin Cabs too. I was looking at the V3 to match te head but I want to make sure it can handle low end cleanly. My low string will be a G at times so it may be hard. If not, what should I replce the speakers with?

shishin

Reaction score
haha. Ouch. Every bass player around here sucks or is 40. And if someone like that was interested in being a band with me, he wants to be in my pants.

')