Question about Ibz 7620

• Thread starter Goober
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goober

Reaction score
I have been offered an early Ibz 7620. I reckon you guys will know a lot more about it than I do

I think they are all MIJ and were before the japan stuff was labeled Prestige?

Any thoughts and input on how they compare to the modern Prestige 7s would be appreciated

cheers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StupidDav

Reaction score
Yeah they were all made in the Fujigen factory in Japan before Ibanez had the Prestige line.

I got mine 3 years ago and I love it, it's been my main guitar ever since. It's got one of my favourite neck profiles, prefer it to even my friend's JP7 though IMO they're pretty similar. I find the JP7 a little flatter; more of a D shape than the 7620's C shape.

But very solid guitars, arguably one of the best floyd style trem systems. Paint chips easily though I find.

DarthV

Reaction score
Yes, MIJ and Prestige level quality. Nice thing about the 7620's is the LoPro Edge 7 trem. Stock pickups would be better than the ones in modern rg1527's as well. As for necks, my 1999 7620 is thicker than the newer rg1527's, but I think the bubinga strip 3 piece neck on the 2000-2002 models is thinner than the 98/99 one piece neck (???). They are still great guitars, but I'm thinking about getting something with a thinner neck.

27InchScale

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 1998 ibanez RG7620VK, with a one piece maple neck. It is the closest production model to a universe. I have a 1990 UV7PW, and the neck is only slightly thinner than my 7620. Ive considered selling it many times, but when you feel that crazy thin neck and the best trem on th market (IMHO) I cant let her go. I would tell you to go for it in a heartbeat. Ntm theres alot of shitty 7's out there, the 7620 simply isnt one of them.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
+1. I just got one a couple months ago and I'm in love with the thing, although mines a bit of a strange one since it's a 7420 body with a 7620 neck/tremolo/electronics. Plays nice, the trem is great, and I threw a set of BKP Nailbombs in there to put it over the edge.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
As far as bang-for-your-buck goes, the 7620 is amazing. The playability is excellent. The trem system is bulletproof. I'm throwing a Deathbar/X-bar set in mine when the finishing is done, but the stock pickups were good too. The bodies, like all Ibanez bodies, are prone to chipped paint, but refinishing one is really easy to do. If you're good at painting stuff, anyway.

')