Question about Pro recording

• Thread starter Kevcarnage
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kevcarnage

Reaction score
hey everyone, so i'm looking to record an album and i'm not to sure on how to go about it. I was looking at Cubase Pro https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...lVLmg8oUQVlhcTJ09BRYiDnl1wroBp8xoCWG0QAvD_BwE ...Now even though i have no experience with any of this i'm pretty good at figuring stuff out and i figured Cubase looked simple enough. So my main question is this..What amp software should i use to record? Axe fx's are so expensive but if that's the route i have to take to get a good amp sim i'll do it. However id prefer something cheaper and a little less complicated. I don't need a bunch of effects, i just need a killer tone. Is there anything that's meant to work directly with cubase or are all amp sims simple to record with? What cables would i need to connect my guitar to the amp sim and than how do you transfer the simulation to cubase for recording? I'm sorry for all these questions, im just a novice trying to record a well produced album lol. If you have the time i'd love as many details as possible about this. I also don't know every recording term either so dumb it down for me please and thank you haha. <3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
The most accurate amp sim I've ever used is honestly the Mercuriall U530, it sounds almost identical to the real thing, which I also own. For bass, I use the Cerberus Bass Amp by Kuassa. To connect your guitar to your computer you'll need an audio interface, I personally use my Rocksmith tone cable, though I wouldn't recommend it. It'd be much better to get something like the Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2, I've used the Solo in the past. It's cheap and it works. I hope at least some of this helps.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Cubase is great, but honestly I'd recommend Presonus' Studio One.

Much easier to pick up, and definitely aimed at Musicians not audio guys, while still having the tools for Audio guys.

I'd agree with ZombieLloyd that the Mercuriall U530 is pretty awesome. However, the Line 6 Helix amp sim should be out soon, and if it's the same as the real Helix it's going to be killer.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
Cubase is great, but honestly I'd recommend Presonus' Studio One.

Much easier to pick up, and definitely aimed at Musicians not audio guys, while still having the tools for Audio guys.

I'd agree with ZombieLloyd that the Mercuriall U530 is pretty awesome. However, the Line 6 Helix amp sim should be out soon, and if it's the same as the real Helix it's going to be killer.

Apologies for getting off topic but, when is the Helix software coming out? I've only heard it mentioned once here but couldn't find any information aside from what's on the website and don't remember finding a release date. I'm actually very curious about it since I've never actually tried the pedalboard unit.

Kevcarnage

Reaction score
The helix looks really cool, I'd love to try that out! Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely check out mercuriall U530 and studio one. Also what's a good drum programmer? I need some infant annihilator style blasts lol

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
It was supposed to be out in Spring of 2017, so we're past planned due date, which probably means soon unless there's major issues.

For Drum programming do you mean something already programmed? Because Superior comes with a whole bunch of MIDI grooves.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
It was supposed to be out in Spring of 2017, so we're past planned due date, which probably means soon unless there's major issues.

For Drum programming do you mean something already programmed? Because Superior comes with a whole bunch of MIDI grooves.

Ah, okay thanks for letting me know.

The helix looks really cool, I'd love to try that out! Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely check out mercuriall U530 and studio one. Also what's a good drum programmer? I need some infant annihilator style blasts lol

Go with Superior Drummer 2 and get at least one expansion and the black/death metal midi packs. Or just get SD 2, maybe an for the improved drum kits and learn to program the drums yourself. I've been doing that exclusively this year and while it is a lot more time consuming, it's helped my song writing a lot and I feel a lot less limited with what I can play on guitar.

jerm

Reaction score
Do you need mics or other gear? If so, skip the $500 on Cubase and maybe look into Reaper which is just as powerful.

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
Do you need mics or other gear? If so, skip the $500 on Cubase and maybe look into Reaper which is just as powerful.

He's going with amp sims and software drums so I doubt he needs to get mics. I'd also suggest looking into Reaper, that's what I use and have used it for years.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, Reaper is great.

I wouldn't overthink the gear much. You're going to need some sort of interface (the Scarlett 214 is a good suggestion to start with), and potentially some sort of mic if you're recording vocals or acoustic guitars. You'll also want a drum sequencer - EzDrummer 2 is probably your cheapest/most user friendly option. Maybe an expansion pack if the stock kit doesn't sound appropriate for the genre you're working in.

But, beyond that... Recording isn't one of those things where you just go out, buy some really good gear, and make a killer sounding album. There's a pretty steep learning curve, on how to track instruments, how to mix, how to use compressors, EQs, etc. If you've never done any of this stuff before, spending a lot of money on expensive gear isn't going to make your album noticibly better sounding, because the biggest limiting factor is going to be your ability to track and mix the album, not the quality of the equipment.

I'd suggest checking out the LePou amp sims - they're free, and while I'm personally an amp/cab/mic guy myself I've dabbled around with their Lecto model and it's good enough that in a pinch I could use it in place of my Recto Roadster and be pretty happy with the results when I was done. I've also used a few of their other amp models as "grit" tracks on bass, and they work well enough there, too.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
There's a pretty steep learning curve, on how to track instruments, how to mix, how to use compressors, EQs, etc. If you've never done any of this stuff before, spending a lot of money on expensive gear isn't going to make your album noticibly better sounding, because the biggest limiting factor is going to be your ability to track and mix the album, not the quality of the equipment.
After reading the OP, I was going to say this, but Drew beat me to it. The most important investment in getting pro sounding recordings is going to be time. You can't just dive in, figure it out, and produce something pro on the first shot. If you need a pro sound without the time investment, then you need to hire a pro. If you have the time to learn, and try things, and fail a few times, and improve and iterate until you've got something that works for you, then you're on the right track and this thread's got some good advice already.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
After reading the OP, I was going to say this, but Drew beat me to it. The most important investment in getting pro sounding recordings is going to be time. You can't just dive in, figure it out, and produce something pro on the first shot. If you need a pro sound without the time investment, then you need to hire a pro. If you have the time to learn, and try things, and fail a few times, and improve and iterate until you've got something that works for you, then you're on the right track and this thread's got some good advice already.

Yeah, I should have said that, as well - you're talking about buying a $500 program, plus at least a couple hundred bucks all in for an interface, drum sequencer, etc. At this point, if your sole objective is having a good sounding album, you're already talking about enough money that you should at least consider getting quotes from local studios to see what it'd cost you to just pay someone to record you.

Kevcarnage

Reaction score
You guys are very right. Fortunately I have taken classes on it but diving into a 500$ program probably isn't the best idea when there's much cheaper options. Going to a studio to be recorded is still a great option as well. I have a lot of options and that's why I'm asking, so I don't end up wasting my time and money. Thanks for the all the help everyone, I have a a lot of research to do.

Descent

Reaction score
@Kevcarnage sounds to me like you're talking about two "career" paths here...

One - recording engineer
Two - musician/composer

Probably a good idea is to start with the minimum first and then go for the expensive rig or record in the studio. Don't forget that there are also live studio session drummers and no matter how much you invest in midi, a good live drummer track will always win. So maybe write and see if you can partner with a drummer...if not you'll eventually have to jump into drum programming like pretty much most of us here on the forum.

The thing for me is that if the songs are no good - it doesn't matter how you recorded and mixed it. One thing I notice on this forum is that a lot of guys (or girls if there are any???) on here spend a lot of time on miniscule production tricks, while a lot of the music is just basic and derivative and honestly not good...

Think about some of these bands and songs that made it big. Most of the Beatles catalog you can't properly hear the snare/kick and the songs are a muddy mess from production standpoint...and music magazines are still talking of the amazing production methods of Sir George Martin. Lets not even mention Metallica and Bob Rock...

Maybe it is not a bad idea to start with a digital 4 or 8 track and laying down the songs first and then tackle the production?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It's more than a couple classes though - it's the time to develop your ear and really understand how to use the various tools at your disposal. Anyone can grab a DAW and a mic and make music, but to do it WELL, that takes time.

If your goal is to have a "pro" sounding CD, I'd practice your ass off with your band and get into the best studio you can afford. If your goal is to get good at recording, then grab a 2i4 or something similar, Reaper and EzDrummer, and start experimenting.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
I have been self producing my own material for several years now and still for the most part just use my best efforts as scratch tracks to take into a 'real' studio for final recording and mixing. You find out real quick how difficult it is to understand the process and get an even remotely pro quality sound out of Your demos. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I want to be a musician first and foremost and not so much a studio engineer, but I'm grateful I at least have the capability to lay down a quick demo when inspiration strikes.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
While I'm a Cubase mega-ultra-fanboy, it probably doesn't make sense for you. I dropped the money because I already had an interface, and AxeFx, and a slew of guitars and really wanted to focus on production. I'd say I'm only using it for about 20% of what it's capable of (if that), however, I wouldn't take it back or even consider moving to anything else. I tried Reaper and just couldn't jive with it. Put your money where your passions are, and use the motivation to hone your skills in whatever area you're passionate about.

Kevcarnage

Reaction score
thanks everyone. I like all the recommendations. I understand how long of a process this is but music Is my life. I play for about 4-6 hours a day so i'm willing to put in the work that it takes and really devote myself. I think my main issue right now is i don't have a drummer who can play what i'm looking for. In Philadelphia (at least where i'm at) death metal drummers are rather scarce. Now i play drums myself actually but i figured using a drum program would be more spot on and accurate. Now like i said i'm willing to put in the time and effort. I do nothing with my life except work and practice guitar lol. I love learning new things but at this point I think i'd like to go the cheapest route.
Another option i was thinking is to program the drums myself then bring them to a professional to help me record my guitar parts over top. It would give me one less thing to learn therefore giving me a lot more time to focus on solely programming drums. I know this will take a long long time so the sooner i get started the better. Thanks so much everyone for your advice!!!! You're all really helping me narrow my options.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you play drums yourself, programming drums may come to you pretty quickly, but it's still a very time consiming process to do right, especially if you're not relying largely on existing MIDI loops.

That said, if DIY is kiond of your thing (and it sounds like it is), and provided you find you DO enjoy the process of recording, then go for it. Grab a good quality entry level interface, Reaper, the LePou VSTs, and whatever the recommended cab IRs are around here these days, and dive in. There's a learning curve, but if you put the time into it, you'll eventually get pretty good results, and probably have a lot of fun doing it. I really enjoy recording and mixing, myself.

')