Question about replacing speakers in a fender metalhead cab..

• Thread starter himself138
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

himself138

Reaction score
i was thinking about replacing the speakers in my fender metalhead cab with celestion v30's. im playing thru a 6505 and some reason the cab sounds really muddy and flat (hoping its not the 6505) the cab is in 4 ohms, so would it be okay if i were to buy the v30 8 or 16 (what would you ppl recommend) ohms and install it without a hitch ??

-alex

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
i was thinking about replacing the speakers in my fender metalhead cab with celestion v30's. im playing thru a 6505 and some reason the cab sounds really muddy and flat (hoping its not the 6505) the cab is in 4 ohms, so would it be okay if i were to buy the v30 8 or 16 (what would you ppl recommend) ohms and install it without a hitch ??

-alex

If you're replacing all the speakers then just buy V30s of the same ohms and you're good. If you're replacing say, two of the speakers in the cab then you'll need V30's of the same ohms of the speakers that are already there. There's a formula (a dirt simple one) that tells you what your final resistance (ohms) is going to be. I have a 2x12 cab that is 4 ohms, and I'm pretty sure I've got 2 8 ohm speakers in it, which amount to 4 ohms. I think 4 16 ohm speakers will result in an 8 ohm cab? I'm just guessing here.

But yeah, if you're just taking out all 4 speakers then just make sure whatever speaker you're replacing them with are all the same ohms IE don't get a mixture of 8 and 16 ohm speakers. A cab doesn't have a "native" ohmage if that's what you're asking, your speakerless cab is just an empty wooden box.

himself138

Reaction score
yeah i was gonna replace all 4 of them, but where you plug in, above says 4ohms mono, so i wasnt sure if that had to do anything. hopefully someone can give a straight answer about the ohms. thanks man :yesway:

groph

Reaction score
Ah. Well if there's just the one jack that was originally 4 ohms mono and you have an ohmage of say 8 ohms when you replace the speakers then that jack would become an 8 ohm mono jack as far as I know. If you wanted the cab to be in stereo theres a different way to wire the speakers, that's something else I don't know much of anything about, but they're wired either in series or in parallel and that dictates mono or stereo. I hope someone chimes in with this information, I'd like to know as well haha.

Reaction score
The stock speakers are supposed to be celestion 100's. They might have a more emphasized low end but defintly would be tighter than the v30. I think you should pop the back open and make sure they are the celestions. Most people love the 100's speakers for metal.

Sippin40oz

Reaction score

-alex

Has it always sounded this way or just gone down hill slowly? If you havnt replaced the output tubes in the 6505 then could be those!

If your going to replace the speakers why not buy 2 at first and try mixing 100's with something else like the v30. Might give you a more interesting tone.

Latest posts

')