Question about things

creepymcpeepers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At band practice they use helix into headrush... we have a mixer and I tried plugging my di box into the mixer one day and it work so I only want to bring my pedal board to practice.. but the bass coming out of the headrush looses low end and distorts sometiems when it's not supposed to... plus they have 2 guitars vocals and bass all
Coming out of one head rush... is there something I can get for bass that is similar to a headrush but is designed for bass? I really don't have room for my whole bass stack at practice cause it's tiny in there

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
By headrush, do you mean an FRFR cab? If it's farting out, you're going to damage it that way. Putting loads of bass through a speaker that wasn't made to handle it is how you kill speakers.

Realistically, a bass cab is already a full-ish range speaker. It's been my experience that with bass, half-measures don't really do the trick for very long - you either won't be loud enough, or will break things. There are small bass cabs that get plenty loud. Off the top of my head, I know a guy who uses a Markbass 2x10 (I think?), it's reasonably portable, plenty loud, sounds good, etc. I'd recommend something along those lines.

Bonus: hi-pass your bass. You probably don't need the lowest of the rumbly lows, especially through a non-bass-specific rig that won't reproduce it properly anyway, and it'll help protect whatever your speakers are. Even through big ol 8x10s, I still use the hi-pass on my amp.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What is your budget for a bass rig? That will be helpful for figuring out some suggestions.

I'd also tack on the the high pass discussion: start at like 20hz and gradually increase it until there is still enough low end for you. If you're able to get that frequency higher and have it sound bassy enough that will be a little easier on your amp.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how much you can high-pass out, with the rest still being "implied". Remembering that a hi-pass doesn't cut literally everything at the control point, that's just the beginning of the roll-off. So you could set it to 50 or 80 or whatever, and still have some amount of content below that. (If this is digital, a lot of times you can control that slope.)

Rubbishplayer

Forgive the typos...I'm all thumbs on this thing..
Reaction score
At band practice they use helix into headrush... we have a mixer and I tried plugging my di box into the mixer one day and it work so I only want to bring my pedal board to practice.. but the bass coming out of the headrush looses low end and distorts sometiems when it's not supposed to... plus they have 2 guitars vocals and bass all
Coming out of one head rush... is there something I can get for bass that is similar to a headrush but is designed for bass? I really don't have room for my whole bass stack at practice cause it's tiny in there
Whenever I hear people complaining of thin, nasaly sound lacking bass end when they plug in, I think "impedence mismatch".

Did you try putting your DI box back into this chain?

Last edited:

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Looking at the specs, a Headrush looks like a 2000w/2500w PA speaker that someone has rebranded as a FR guitar monitor. It'll be extremely rolled off around a low E, so if this were actually a PA speaker I'd say it's meant to be integrated with a sub. If you have a B string (or downtune below E), you'll probably find it lacking.

As for the tone, if you're running DI with no EQ the tone might be... unimpressive. Something like a SansAmp will fix that.

As for "is there something I can get for bass that is similar to a headrush but is designed for bass?", it's called a bass combo. If the space is tiny as you say and the whole band is going through what is basically a single monitor, you could probably pick up a small combo amp.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Running that much through a single monitor, you're going to run out of space for everybody regardless. A combo or a 2x10+head should do you just fine. A 4x10 will be the same footprint and likely be as much as you'll ever need. You can always turn down.

')