Question about wood filler on fret-ends

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hi,

I got a new Ibanez guitar today (NGD thread will follow shortly), and I noticed that at 2 frets the fret ends were not 100% sealed/filled with wood-filler (see pictures).

img0135nlg.jpg

img0137nw.jpg

img0138zk.jpg

img0139cf.jpg

img0140qn.jpg

img0141ci.jpg

My questions are:

-Would something like this be considered a flaw or is this normal?

-Could this cause problems in the long run (humidity, dust or grease getting into the opening and 'pushing against the fret' or something like that)?

-Is there a way I could seal or fill those tiny openings myself?

Thanks,
Lars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
-Would something like this be considered a flaw or is this normal?

I wouldn't call it a flaw exactly, as it's very common. Filler doesn't expand and/or contract at the same rate that wood does, and as that occurs it can shrink and/or chip a little bit causing what you have pictured.

That being said, most wouldn't find it ideal.

-Could this cause problems in the long run (humidity, dust or grease getting into the opening and 'pushing against the fret' or something like that)?

Not really. A VERY tiny amount of dust can build up, but not enough to do any sort of harm. Regular playing and cleaning can easily take care of that.

-Is there a way I could seal or fill those tiny openings myself?

You could apply some filler yourself with a syringe applicator and sand it down then buff it.

Hope that helps man and congrats on another NGD, you have one hell of a collection. :hbang:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a flaw exactly, as it's very common. Filler doesn't expand and/or contract at the same rate that wood does, and as that occurs it can shrink and/or chip a little bit causing what you have pictured.

That being said, most wouldn't find it ideal.

Not really. A VERY tiny amount of dust can build up, but not enough to do any sort of harm. Regular playing and cleaning can easily take care of that.

You could apply some filler yourself with a syringe applicator and sand it down then buff it.

Hope that helps man and congrats on another NGD, you have one hell of a collection. :hbang:

Thank you very much!

Would you say something like this could be reason enough to return the guitar?
This is a prestige (RG2228A).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you very much!

Would you say something like this could be reason enough to return the guitar?
This is a prestige (RG2228A).

The thing is, I wouldn't guarantee that a replacement would be free of this issue, or that it wouldn't occur, and more severely, on another guitar. If this was the only issue, and it was my guitar, I'd probably keep it as long as it still plays and sounds as it should.

Though, it's your guitar. If you feel it doesn't meet your expectations, by all means, return it ASAP. Who knows, the next one might be 100% perfect.

I know you're pretty particular about your guitars Lars, and rightfully so. If it bugs you, return it. I'm just saying I've seen this a lot, and I probably wouldn't, at least on this level. :)

Santuzzo

Reaction score
The thing is, I wouldn't guarantee that a replacement would be free of this issue, or that it wouldn't occur, and more severely, on another guitar. If this was the only issue, and it was my guitar, I'd probably keep it as long as it still plays and sounds as it should.

Though, it's your guitar. If you feel it doesn't meet your expectations, by all means, return it ASAP. Who knows, the next one might be 100% perfect.

I know you're pretty particular about your guitars Lars, and rightfully so. If it bugs you, return it. I'm just saying I've seen this a lot, and I probably wouldn't, at least on this level. :)

Thanks, man!

Yes, I am somewhat (actually very much) 'OCD' when it comes to flaws on my guitars. Many threads on this forum (as on other forums) show that :agreed:
Sometimes (mostly afterwards) I laugh about myself.
On my last 'flaws'-issues, I decided to accept them and got over them (those were tiny cosmetic flaws on two Premiums, I had threads about them), and now I am fine and actually glad I did keep them back then.
I think same will hold true with this guitar.
And like you said, I might get another guitar that has the exact same fret-end openings, and who knows maybe even to a worse degree....

To be honest, this fret-end issue does not bug me cosmetically, it's barely visible, but I was just a bit worried it could cause some problems in the long run, but if that is not the case I'm fine :)

Thanks again, I appreciate your help very much!

I will take some more pics and post a proper NGD thread tomorrow.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Happy to help man.

There's nothing wrong with being OCD with your guitars man. :agreed:

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Happy to help man.

There's nothing wrong with being OCD with your guitars man. :agreed:

Well, as you might imagine, this OCD has caused me (and the folks around me) major headaches that are really not necessary......
It's almost like I need to find something to worry about....:lol:

johnnyboy102

Reaction score
I actually have this same issue of my ibanez rgd2127z (which is a prestige model also) on one of the middle frets. I've always wondered just how big of an issue it was but thankfully this thread has made me feel a bit better about it.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I say keep it the way it is. Keep playin it and you won't even notice. :)

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I actually have this same issue of my ibanez rgd2127z (which is a prestige model also) on one of the middle frets. I've always wondered just how big of an issue it was but thankfully this thread has made me feel a bit better about it.

:yesway::agreed:

I say keep it the way it is. Keep playin it and you won't even notice. :)

Yup! Thanks!

')