Question For PRS Mike Mushok Owners.

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
How low have you been able to tune your guitars w/o running into intonation/ fret buzzing issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
It could easily handle E standard down an octave. There is a recording of someone here playing one in C#0 I think. I routinely play mine in GGCFAD with excellent tension and clarity.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
It could easily handle E standard down an octave. There is a recording of someone here playing one in C#0 I think. I routinely play mine in GGCFAD with excellent tension and clarity.

Buddy, you just made my day! Thanks for the info!

One other thing I forgot to ask, what's the largest gauge string these can use w/o modifying the guitar?

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Yep. I'm currently playing mine in F# but I have used it in E1 using bass VI 20-90s and it was doable, but there wasn't enough tension for me ( I like extremely high tension though, and was using it as a pseudo-bass). 8 string players routinely use drop E1 tuning on a shorter 27" scale. Within The Ruins is playing in C on a 26.5 IIRC (no idea how though!)

Edit: you may need to file out your 6th string depending on the gauge you use.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Given a choice, I'd prefer my string tension to be a little looser than tighter. I tried some .90s on an 8 string w/ a 27" at tuned to E standard and really liked the feel w/ those. The higher strings... Maybe a little too tight for my tastes. So maybe I'll go a little lighter on those.

Anyways, looks like this guitar will do what I need it to do, that is play in E standard w/o any intonation/ fret buzzing issues.

So what do you people think about the stock pups that come in these?

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score

That must be me, 2 albums out all played in C#0 :)

If you want absolutely perfect intonation then dont go higher than 80 string wise on the prs baritone, anyways you won't notice the little sharper string on the 12th fret with the 90 string, I've been doing that since 2 albums and it never bothered me!

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
So what do you people think about the stock pups that come in these?

Not impressed. They're fairly hot, but are really dark and muddy, overly flubby IMO. Unless you're looking for this for pure doom/stoner I'd plan on changing them. Still a great guitar though!

Upgrayedd

Reaction score
I restrung mine with 72-13's, tuned F#BF#BF#B and haven't had any issues. I haven't swapped the pick up's yet though.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Mine has a BKP Painkiller in it that worked wonders over the stock pickup. My MMM1 with the longer scale length got a pair of Suhr Aldrich pickups that also work extremely well.

Latest posts

')