Question for Zoom owners..

Tortellini

Reaction score
For anyone who owns the newer model of Zoom multiFX, how does the unit stack up against physical pedals?
(I’m not worried about distortion, because I have two distortion/OD pedals already and I probably will just use the built in amp OD when I get a nice tube amp.)
How does the Zoom EQ stack up to something like an MXR 10 band EQ?
Does the Wah emulation stand up to something like a CryBaby?
Is the pitch shifter any good? I rarely ever hear anything good about digital pitch shifters. It seems like if I wanna drop tune, I just might need to shell out the cash for the Digi Drop or an EHX Pitch Fork. -_- (The shifter on my last gen B3 is horrific!)
..And I would assume the Reverb and Noise Gate are good enough.

I’ve also heard of people using the more expensive multiFX pedals (AxeFX) as their entire amp, and just hooking it up to a speaker or cab. I’m not really sure how all that works, and I’m curious about how it does. Is that something people do with the G5n?

Thanks for your help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I own a Zoom G5n, but I can't really answer that, because I purchased the Zoom specifically so that I wouldn't have to shell out for a boatload of discrete pedals. I'd reckon that most people who have the cash on hand to spring for a bunch of pedals would probably also go for something higher end than Zoom.

FWIW, I like mine. The pitch shifter is, however, quite lacking, I will say that much. It's definitely no POG. The modulation and delays (which is what I bought it for) are quite nice, if nothing earth-shattering. While I know you don't really care, the OD/Dist pedals actually sound pretty decent. I don't use the wah, so I can't comment on that.

There's nothing really stopping you from using the G5n as pre-amp (which is what 1st and 2nd generation Axe-FX users do, as those don't have built in power amps to my knowledge, which the 3rd generation now does). You'd still have to run it through a power amp though, and using amp sims will eat some of your DSP, limiting how many effects you can throw on top of it, in a patch. As long as you're judicious though and don't try to run it as a pedal-board-in-a-box, you'll be fine.

For $300 USD (or $340 CAD, which is what I paid for it), it's a great bargain, but it's not an Axe-FX or a Helix. A lot of what it does sounds good. However, if you need something that's comparable to niche cream-of-the-crop analog effects, this isn't it. For the most part, it's a good "75% there" solution though.

Tortellini

Reaction score
I own a Zoom G5n, but I can't really answer that, because I purchased the Zoom specifically so that I wouldn't have to shell out for a boatload of discrete pedals. I'd reckon that most people who have the cash on hand to spring for a bunch of pedals would probably also go for something higher end than Zoom.

FWIW, I like mine. The pitch shifter is, however, quite lacking, I will say that much. It's definitely no POG. The modulation and delays (which is what I bought it for) are quite nice, if nothing earth-shattering. While I know you don't really care, the OD/Dist pedals actually sound pretty decent. I don't use the wah, so I can't comment on that.

There's nothing really stopping you from using the G5n as pre-amp (which is what 1st and 2nd generation Axe-FX users do, as those don't have built in power amps to my knowledge, which the 3rd generation now does). You'd still have to run it through a power amp though, and using amp sims will eat some of your DSP, limiting how many effects you can throw on top of it, in a patch. As long as you're judicious though and don't try to run it as a pedal-board-in-a-box, you'll be fine.

For $300 USD (or $340 CAD, which is what I paid for it), it's a great bargain, but it's not an Axe-FX or a Helix. A lot of what it does sounds good. However, if you need something that's comparable to niche cream-of-the-crop analog effects, this isn't it. For the most part, it's a good "75% there" solution though.
Thanks for the reply! In the event I buy the Zoom G5n, I’ll pretty much use it for everything besides pitch shifting and OD/Distortion. I love that it has an output booster built in!

One more question.. The cheapest AxeFX I know of is the FX8, and that’s at minimum gonna run you $750, so that’s out of the question! The Helix is $1000..
Any other pedals I should consider? I checked out the ME-80, but it doesn’t seem to have a proper 10 band EQ to play with..

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say look at either the Boss GT 100 ($450 USD on Amazon) or the Line 6 Pod HD500X ($500 USD on Amazon).

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I have the MS70-CDR and the modulation effects are perfectly usable.As for the eq, it has 2 6-Band eqs for guitar (one is mono the other is stereo) and 2-7 band eqs for bass. Also, there's a 2 band parametric eq, a BBE Sonic Stomp model (exciter), a hi/low pass shelving eq and just a ton of filter effects.
If you're looking for 'pro level' recording effects, then obviously the Strymon/Eventide/Earthquaker/etc... effects are going to sound a lot better but if you're using it for band practice, small gigs, etc.. then the Zoom effects should do a pretty good job.

hvdh

Reaction score
Dont know if this answer meets the quest. Tried & Tested: GE200, NUX Cerberus and Zoom G5n Some sound OK but lack the dynamic playing feel. So had to find more real solution ;-)

Following works best for me for home prac: Guitar -> Friedman Dirty Shirley Pedal -> Mooer Radar (IR) -> Zoom MS50G -> Headphone amp. Not perfect but it meets the demands.

Live I use real tubes and cabinets.

Nhoj

Reaction score
For me Zoom G3Xn sounds awesome!

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
Zoom stuff sounds like crap compared to the real deal. The fx are usually usable, and that's about it. I used to own the MS70, and it's a buffet of mediocre fx.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Zoom stuff sounds like crap compared to the real deal. The fx are usually usable, and that's about it. I used to own the MS70, and it's a buffet of mediocre fx.

True, they aren't as good as Boss or TC but (as in the case of the MS-70) when you consider the price, you won't do much better than that. For roughly what it costs for a TC Corona Chorus, you can get the Zoom that has not only models of the same Corona but literally dozens of other effects as well. Obviously, if one has the money they'd get the 'real versions' but for those on a budget, they aren't that bad.

sevenfoxes

Reaction score
True, they aren't as good as Boss or TC but (as in the case of the MS-70) when you consider the price, you won't do much better than that. For roughly what it costs for a TC Corona Chorus, you can get the Zoom that has not only models of the same Corona but literally dozens of other effects as well. Obviously, if one has the money they'd get the 'real versions' but for those on a budget, they aren't that bad.
I agree. Budget gear at it's finest.

')