Questions about the mahogany on my Apex 2

• Thread starter Drop-A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    banana
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drop-A

Reaction score
Is the whole thing about mahogany guitars weighing more than other types of wood just a myth?

I can swear my basswood 6-string weighs a whole lot more than my Apex 2. And the sound is not any darker at all, on the contrary infact. It sounds thin and bright (the cleans are MUCH better though). But maybe it's just me having a misconception about what 'darker sounding' really means.

Almost seems like they popped in the wrong type of wood :spock:

Maybe it's the pickups? But I'd rather not replace those since they've got a matching finish and they make my cleans sound alot better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Well my Blackjack(mahogany) is lighter than my Loomis(ash). Wood can vary quite a bit from piece to piece plus some builders use woods related or similar to mahagony and just label it mahogany.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
My Caparison (mahogany) is lighter than my Loomis as well.

Kronpox

shrent? shrent.
Reaction score
My 607b and Agile 727 have almost the same specs throughout and the 607b is significantly heavier :shrug: more factors affect weight than body wood.

Reaction score
My Caparison (mahogany) is lighter than my Loomis as well.

Ash is actually one of the heaviest woods there is. Not to mention the Loomis is a carved top and the Caparison is a flat top. But it all depends on the wood, quality of the wood, how long it has dried etc. You want a HEAVY guitar? Get one with a body made of Walnut! That is fucking Heavy!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, maple is usually heavier than mahogany as well. If the Apex 2 is anything like the S7320, then its 28 piece body can certainly affect the tone as well.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
Yeah, maple is usually heavier than mahogany as well. If the Apex 2 is anything like the S7320, then its 28 piece body can certainly affect the tone as well.

Your joking about the 28 piece body right? I thought it was 5.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Your joking about the 28 piece body right? I thought it was 5.

Yes, it was an exaggeration/joke. The S7320 5-piece body thing I just find amusing, as my old S7420 was a solid one piece.

Coobanez

Reaction score
Yeah, I feel the same when I compared my mahogany guitars to my old RG, I guess it all just comes down to the certain guitar. My S7320's 4 or 5 piece body doesn't bug me too much, it still sounds good IMO, but I would imagine the 7420 is much nicer other than the trem IMO.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, my Hellraiser is pretty light, and the whole guitar is mahogany aside from the fretboard.

Drop-A

Reaction score
Ah, I see.

But I'm still disappointed about the thin and trebly sound. Not what I expected from a guitar like this. Maybe I'll swap out the bridge for a Blaze or something and see how it turns out.

')