Questions about Tremol-No, Brass Big Block, and Electronics

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
First question: I have a RG7620 I am wanting to completely upgrade to the highest extent I can. I already ordered a Tremol-No small clamp, but after doing so, I remembered I wanted to upgrade to a brass big block for my LoPro. Will the Small clamp tremol no fit on the brass big bock? Or did I just screw myself over? Lol

Will the big block improve my RG7620's sustain and tone? Or will it make it sound muddy due to the guitar using basswood? I heard somewhere that the brass blocks don't do good in darker woods, and from what I hear, basswood is a dark wood? Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

This is the brass big block I am going to purchase:

Ibanez edge 7 string big brass block bridge upgrade - eBay (item 290370094884 end time Dec-14-09 05:27:48 PST)

Second question: Are the noiseless trem springs worth $10 off Floydupgrades.com? Or will I get the same effect from stuffing the springs I have now with foam? The ones I have now are brass by the way, I don't know what the other ones are made of. But heres a link to them on Floyd Upgrades:

Noiseless Springs [ANS0001] - $9.95 : FloydUpgrades.com!, Floyd Rose Tremolo Upgrades

Third question: What are the best volume/tone pot to use on this guitar? Do I order mini pots, or standard pots? I have no idea what type of pot to buy, I was overwhelmed at the large selection to choose from. I was leaning toward 500k Mini pots, but is there a name brand out there that work, and sound better?

Fourth question: What is a really good 5 way pickup selector? I am thinking about buying a Schaller Megaswitch, if there is a better one out that would have a better connection, and a clearer tone, please steer me in that direction.

Fifth question: I know it may sound dumb, but are the BKP Painkillers, or similar worth the extra $100 over the Crunchlab, and Liquifire combo? I have never played either pickup, but if the BKP's tone justifies the extra $100, I would prefer to make the jump to those, rather than the Dimarzio set. And if I got the BKP's, will the pickup tabs fit in the Dimarzio tab holes with no routing needed?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice, and opinions. I've never ventured off past pickups when it came to the electronics of a guitar until now. I've always stuck to simple soldering, and setups, so every bit of advice is valued.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Here's my old RG7620 with a floydupgrades.com Big Block (for Edge/LoPro trems) and the small clamp Tremol-no.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gu...-uv1000-case-both-in-excellent-condition.html

It's a tight fit, but the small clamp version worked for me. I don't know the dimensions of the brass block you're buying, but it should work (that block actually looks a little thinner).

I love the sustain and tone that was gained with this simple upgrade. I'll never stick with a stock block (unless there is not an available upgrade i.e. the ZR-trem)

Mdragoon

Reaction score
Looks like we are in the same boat, except with the Tremol-no. I love my trems. I will be doing the same thing but with a Loomis and I'll let you know, Block and Springs.

Also, looks like we are gettin' no love, hopefully some more people will reply in the next few days.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I just did the same exact shit to my rg7620 after I refinished it a bit ago... the only thing you're missing is the trem-arm replacement ;)

I can attest to the small clamp working with those big blocks, its pushing it, but it just fits and works well. As for the tone, there is definitely a tad more sustain and the guitar seems a bit louder now to me which is kinda cool... I wouldn't say it has any adverse affect on the tone, it just kinda changes it slightly in a good way. It's also suprisingly easy to install this thing, I thought it would a be a hassle... but seriously took about 5-10 mins.

I also got the noiseless springs and as soon as I got them I thought for sure I was scammed, lol. Out of the guitar they made lots of noise when I flexed them to compare to the old ones, luckily this didn't translate to anything when I actually used them. After a little use, these things are definitely dead silent to my ears. I mostly got them because I was already ordering the big block and I wanted to try them because they look cool. But they do work as advertised, the other things you mentioned are just as effective and free though.

According to dimarzio, the best regular 5-way switch for a dual humbucker setup is the special 5-way that comes in the guitar you have lol. I'm sure if you wanted a lot of options there are tons that could definitely give you that, but thats what was suggested to me and I just went with that. You can buy them new if thats what you want, you just gotta hit up google.

For the BKP/Crunchlab... I can't compare them at the moment as I haven't touched a BKP (give it a few weeks!!). But the crunchlab is awesome, I don't know if it's BKP awesome... I'd say ask zimbloth as he has tried them both.

As far as the pickup tabs, lol.. If you order through zim, he will get you what you need. I currently have a Warpig set coming and they will have the triangular tabs as will any that you request... these are custom made pickups.

Pots... I went with 500k CTS pots, they are a little bigger and will require slight filing or sanding, like 5 mins to get it done. Minipots would've made more sense in hindsight. You could just stick with Dimarzio brand stuff if you wanted to go easy with choices.

:wavey:

BlackMetalSins

Converted 8 Stringer
Reaction score
Looks like we are in the same boat, except with the Tremol-no. I love my trems. I will be doing the same thing but with a Loomis and I'll let you know, Block and Springs.

Also, looks like we are gettin' no love, hopefully some more people will reply in the next few days.
I like my trems... Especially the LoPro, I just can't stand the constant setting up of a trem, I can't drop tunnings without having to adjust the trem springs, and getting the guitar in perfect pitch is a complete pain in the butt, oh it's just a mess for me. :lol:

I just did the same exact shit to my rg7620 after I refinished it a bit ago... the only thing you're missing is the trem-arm replacement ;)

I can attest to the small clamp working with those big blocks, its pushing it, but it just fits and works well. As for the tone, there is definitely a tad more sustain and the guitar seems a bit louder now to me which is kinda cool... I wouldn't say it has any adverse affect on the tone, it just kinda changes it slightly in a good way. It's also suprisingly easy to install this thing, I thought it would a be a hassle... but seriously took about 5-10 mins.

I also got the noiseless springs and as soon as I got them I thought for sure I was scammed, lol. Out of the guitar they made lots of noise when I flexed them to compare to the old ones, luckily this didn't translate to anything when I actually used them. After a little use, these things are definitely dead silent to my ears. I mostly got them because I was already ordering the big block and I wanted to try them because they look cool. But they do work as advertised, the other things you mentioned are just as effective and free though.

According to dimarzio, the best regular 5-way switch for a dual humbucker setup is the special 5-way that comes in the guitar you have lol. I'm sure if you wanted a lot of options there are tons that could definitely give you that, but thats what was suggested to me and I just went with that. You can buy them new if thats what you want, you just gotta hit up google.

For the BKP/Crunchlab... I can't compare them at the moment as I haven't touched a BKP (give it a few weeks!!). But the crunchlab is awesome, I don't know if it's BKP awesome... I'd say ask zimbloth as he has tried them both.

As far as the pickup tabs, lol.. If you order through zim, he will get you what you need. I currently have a Warpig set coming and they will have the triangular tabs as will any that you request... these are custom made pickups.

Pots... I went with 500k CTS pots, they are a little bigger and will require slight filing or sanding, like 5 mins to get it done. Minipots would've made more sense in hindsight. You could just stick with Dimarzio brand stuff if you wanted to go easy with choices.

:wavey:
Thanks for reminding me about the OFR arm replacement. Gotta add that to the list. :cool:

Thank you, and BigPhi84 for clearing that up for me. I'll just go ahead and order my big block now, and hope the block I'm buying has the same, if not smaller dimensions than the FloydUpgrades block.

I'll just order a new 5way from Ibanezrules.com. I didn't know if you could get better switches, that sounded better, or had a more solid connection. The more I dig deeper into these electronics, it seems there are endless options, and upgradeable stuff, etc etc.

I asked Zimbloth about his Dimarzio pickups, but I started to consider BKP, it's just their price tag that makes me feel unsettle about them. The pickups are half the price I paid for this 7620. :lol:

I'll probably ask him about the difference, if there is a huge significant increase in tone, and sustain. Or if the Crunchlab and Liquifire blow over just fine through my 6505+.

I'm not worried about easy choices, or taking the easier route. I want to order the best parts I can for this guitar, cause it's my new baby. :agreed:
But Dimarzio is probably reputable enough to have quality pots, I might try my luck with them.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it. :wavey:

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
I just can't stand the constant setting up of a trem, I can't drop tunnings without having to adjust the trem springs...

Wait, what is your standard tuning and what tuning would you be dropping down to? I only ask, because from my experience, the tremol-no is great if you want to lower one string a whole step, but if you start changing the ptich of more than one string, the clamps lose their grip and you have to retune the guitar.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
^I had all of my strings slackened and the tremol-no held the trem, maybe you aren't tightening the tremol-no enough. Are you using the pin style or the clamp?

BigPhi84

Pronounced "FEE"
Reaction score
Clamp. The Deep-C block always slips on mine if I try to change the tunings drastically.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
And you guys have the deep-c directly behind the tremol-no and all three thumb screws tight? and the screw on the clamp tight as well? I've got a brass big block and it doesn't slip.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i'm about to add these blocks to both of my 7620s (literally... like today at some point).

i ordered them a while ago but the springs wouldn't stay on the block w/o a spring retainer which i didn't have for whatever reason. mine arrived today so we should be having some fun soon. :shred:

')