Questions about used Ibanez at GC

• Thread starter JohnnyCNote
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
My brother and I went to the local Guitar Center today, and a salesguy pointed out this Ibanez:

head1.jpg

front1.jpg

back1.jpg

I couldn't find the precise model, but I'm guessing it's an RG7620. We looked it over really closely and couldn't find a single scratch, ding or any sign it had been used, except that the 7th string was removed. I went ahead and put 25% down, with the assurance that I can receive it back in full within 30 days.

I want to confirm that this is an RG7620, or if not which model it is. Also, I want to make sure the color is black with gold metalflake and not green. It may sound crazy, but I avoid green because I'm red/green colorblind and green gives me the most trouble (probably why I've always had problems with money). I've been looking at the S7320, but this is $200 less and is in nearly perfect condition. Also, I prefer the black hardware because I already have chrome on my sunburst Strat and gold on my Walnut Strat, so black would make a nice addition to my collection.

Is this a good deal, or would I be better holding off and getting the S7320? I could get a nice case for another $99, and be $100 below the price of the S7320. On the other hand, if the S7320 is better than the RG7620, presuming that's what this one is, then is it enough to justify the extra $200?

Whaddya say?

I knew I shouldn't have gone there . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
It's a S7420 in black pearl or something like that.

It's really in mint condition. Try to buy it for less money, 400 would be ok.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
That's an S7420, actually.

Dunno the pricing though, sorry.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
It's an S7420BP (Black Pearl)

$400-$500 is the most I would spend

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a S7420 in black pearl or something like that.

It's really in mint condition. Try to buy it for less money, 400 would be ok.

I tried to get them to come down, but they're firm on the price. I tried an S7320 in London last December, and this feels nearly the same. The neck and body appear to be identical. They had a couple of new S7321's in stock, but the bodies weren't contoured like this one or the S7320 . . .

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
for 500? how mint is it. if its in pretty damn good shape (not mint, but definately good), id jump on that. Even if its just solid, its not great, but its not a bad price either, from what i've seen. If its not fucked up, id say negotiate how you like the trem, and then go for it if the trem is ok. I love the ZR, but that trem isnt that bad, can be replaced with an OFR 7 eventually, direct retrofit, and this one is actually MIJ, as opposed to the 7320, which is MIK

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The S7420 were really nice guitars, I had one for a while. $500 isn't a great price for one, but it's not bad either.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
for 500? how mint is it. if its in pretty damn good shape (not mint, but definately good), id jump on that.

It looked as if it had never been played. I'll look it over again and see if the frets show any wear, but based on the total lack of pick scratches, etc., I doubt I'll find any. The action was really great, but I know I'd have to readjust it after adding the 7th string, etc. We both played it through an amp and there were no signs of shorts, static, etc.

I'm guessing someone bought it, didn't like the 7th string, tried it without it and decided to get a 6 string instead . . .

Svartmetall

Reaction score
Hell, I'd say that's a lot of guitar for $500; at current exchange rates that's like £250 or so, and believe me I'd jump at an S7420 for £250 :D...

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info - it's very useful. Unfortunately, GC is the kind of place where you either take the price marked or leave it. I used to sell computers at the old Computer City, and it was the same there. There was a time when it was customary to bargain at most music stores, but those have largely fallen to the wayside, at least around here . . .

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
ohh man. i would jump on that. good looking older S7 models are hard to come by that i have noticed. i luck out with the GC bit, i have some friends who work there and they drop prices for me all the time, but thats because i am willing to give them the $10 out of $100 ratio they would make tax free and out of the store, or i buy them gin. depends on which friend it is.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
I just ran the serial number through and got this result:The Guitar Dater Project

Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant, Japan
Production Number: 01288

It goes on to say:

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation was opened in may 1960, they initially started manufacturing violins and quickly switched to classical guitar production. In 1962 electric guitar construction was started. Fujigen has a reputation for excellent quality and craftsmanship so the guitars they produce are highly regarded. They produce guitars via OEM for famous brands such as Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha and Fender (the import Special Interest Group nature model), G&L and others.

That sounds pretty encouraging, especially since this guitar is in such good condition . . .

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
IIRC it was something like 1200 or something, i could be way off. that might be list. i read something to that effect though somewhere recently.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
S7420's retailed at $1299 (incidentally the highest priced guitar made by Ibanez EVER at that point that came with the TRS bridge) but NO ONE sold them for that much.

Black Pearl is a common colour and not particularly rare. They tend to go for $3-600 depending on condition. I'd probably go for up to $500 for that one since it isnt hardcased, and the fact that someone is an absolute retard and removed a string.

Mahogany body, Maple/bubinga neck, Lo-TRS7 bridge and those pups are stock. nice condition, but there isnt anything about to warrant much more than that.

How much are they asking for it?

As an aside, the S7321 you referred to is actually the RG7321. As a general rule of thumb, if it finishes with a zero its a trem model, 1 is a fixed bridge. 'S' stands for Saber - these are the uber sleek, contoured models like the one you have pictured, and are always made from mahogany. The RG (Rock Guitar) is bigger, chunkier, generally made from basswood and isnt as sleek as the S series. :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd pay $500 for that. hop on it.

')