Questions about used Ibanez at GC

• Thread starter JohnnyCNote
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
From all I can tell, I'd be getting a better guitar for less money. The only way it could be in better condition is if it had never been removed from the original factory box. It also leaves enough cash to get a decent case.

Most likely I'll want to do something about the pickups as time goes on, but that's not a priority at this point . . .

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
If it is a 2000 S7 it'll piss over anything else in the shop under $900.

How much are they asking for it?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
200 less than a 7320, so that would equate to about 500 bucks
thats a damn good axe man, just get it already lol
if you were gonna buy a 7320, just use the money saved to get better pickups and a tno, and you are in freakin business

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
dude, dont be so anal about buying this guitar, enjoy it. your sweating the details, you just gotta take the dive, you can always sell it if you really dont like it

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
It's like one of those "meant to be" things. My other 2 guitars were both found by chance, in the sense that if I hadn't have gone to the store on those particular days, I probably wouldn't have ever seen either one.

In this case I hadn't been in the store in months, and just happened across this really nice S7420. I should have my tax refund this week, so I'll be able to get it. I put a deposit on it since I knew I could come here and get the inside dope on it. I'm glad they have cell phone cameras . . .

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
get it
make it full of your ownership
and sell it to me for half what you paid :lol:
nah but get up on that shit

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, talk them down a bit. If you dont like the guitar, you can sell it for 500$ on ebay, or here, most easily.

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
The main thing for me is the feel, and I really like the neck and body contour, and esthetically, the only complaint I have is that the pickup mounting brackets clash with the finish. However, that's just a superficial detail and will eventually change them, but for now, it's not a priority . . .

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
feel and playability first, looks second.

i should own a yamaha AES, not a gibson LP based on that lol

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
It's a personal decision. Each person has his own criteria for choosing one instrument over another. If I had the money, I'd get the parts from Warmoth and have one custom built, or maybe something with a graphite neck. Until then, I'll content myself with the S7420 . . .

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
The main thing for me is the feel, and I really like the neck and body contour, and esthetically, the only complaint I have is that the pickup mounting brackets clash with the finish. However, that's just a superficial detail and will eventually change them, but for now, it's not a priority . . .

If they're the stock pickups, you'll want to change them anyways. You alluded to that, though. They're pretty good guitars aside from that.
you'll definitely enjoy it when you pick it up :yesway:

JohnnyCNote

Великий Пахан
Contributor
Reaction score
I was just checking the specs on Ibanez 7-string Specifications and it indicates the stock pickups are Ibanez V7-71 humbucker neck position and Ibanez V8-72 humbucker bridge position, so I'll definately want to upgrade them, however not in the immediate future.

The site also says the original list price is $1299.99. I know this is just a marketing tool, but I'm curious how much they usually went for when they were available in stores, just so I can get an idea of how it ranks in the Ibanez product line up.

I bought a new '83 Fender Walnut Strat that listed for about $1300, but I paid about $800. However it's a limited edition and is now worth twice what I paid. I don't expect this S7420 will appreciate to that extent, if at all. It's not that important, but it would be nice if it did.

The next priority is a case. They had ones for $100 at GC, but I can't recall the brand. I found some better deals on ebay, but once the shipping is added in they're just as much as the one at GC. It's a generic case, but the guitar fits really well. I might pick up a bag just to use temporarily until I get something nicer.

I used to like those old Anvil cases, but they don't seem to be available anymore. I had a bright yellow Strat one for a while, but it was eventually lost to a pawn shop when I was living as an impoverished rock musician in San Francisco. It wasn't as great a loss as it may seem considering how I acquired it, but we won't get into all of that . . .

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
A seven string without the seventh string? Who's the smartass who did that? :squint:

Yeah, I'd probably buy it. It looks like it's in great condition and $500 is a great price for a seven of that caliber. Only thing you need to do is change the pickups (or just the pickup that you use the most).

The site also says the original list price is $1299.99. I know this is just a marketing tool, but I'm curious how much they usually went for when they were available in stores, just so I can get an idea of how it ranks in the Ibanez product line up.

I bought a new '83 Fender Walnut Strat that listed for about $1300, but I paid about $800. However it's a limited edition and is now worth twice what I paid. I don't expect this S7420 will appreciate to that extent, if at all. It's not that important, but it would be nice if it did.

Ibanez's aren't expensive collector guitars like PRSs, Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers, and so on. There are almost no Ibanezes that would appreciate in value.

I think the S7420 originally went for around $700-800 (about the same as the current S7320). I think they usually sell used for $400-500. The RG7620 originally went for something like $800-900, but nowadays go used for around $300-400.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
$499 isn't a bad price for a S7420. It's not a steal, exactly, but it's fair value for a nice guitar.

The S7320 is going to cost you a bit more than that. Some people really dig the ZR trem and would consider that a selling point, but for some reason the Lo-TRS7 is supposed to feel a lot better than the Lo-TRS 6 string trem, so it's not THAT bad a deal.

:shrug: If you like how it feels and sounds, grab it.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

General rule of thumb is 70% or so of the list. considering, they probably went for around 850-900$ or so new.

')