Questions for Boss MS-3 owners

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
-Do you use the boosts/overdrives to boost an analog preamp? If so, how well do you like them? Useful for boosting a highgain preamp? Are they comparable to the standard TubeScreamer, Maxon OD808, etc? Better? Slightly worse?

-From reading the manual it seems like almost every effect has an "Effect" level control and "Direct" level control. I'm assuming this means you basically have a clean blend on every effect correct?

-Do you find the gate to be better or on par with the Boss NS-2? I've always preferred my ISP Decimator to the NS-2 but, I could live with it if its at least on par.

-Have you ever tried to get a good clean sound with just the MS-3 and a poweramp? I'd like to have JUST the MS-3 and a TightMetal Pro on my pedalboard if possible and that means any clean tones need to come from the MS-3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
1. Essentially yes, although I've never found the need to turn the effect level or direct level down.

2. I really like the gate on the MS-3, and I like it over the ISP decimator I used to run. I still have my ns-2 if I need extra gating which I can run in a loop, but it's dead quiet.

3. You probably could get a sweet clean tone on the pedal with some EQ and other FX blocks. I really like the user-friendly-ness and quality of effects and features for the price. Boss really nailed it here.

Bearitone

Reaction score
1. Essentially yes, although I've never found the need to turn the effect level or direct level down.

2. I really like the gate on the MS-3, and I like it over the ISP decimator I used to run. I still have my ns-2 if I need extra gating which I can run in a loop, but it's dead quiet.

3. You probably could get a sweet clean tone on the pedal with some EQ and other FX blocks. I really like the user-friendly-ness and quality of effects and features for the price. Boss really nailed it here.

Thanks for the feedback!
Any thoughts on the ODs and boosts for boosting a highgain amp?

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
1. On board ODs are ok. But if I were to add one pedal it would be an OD (808x).Better sound with an actual pedal, but also way better feel. That being said, if I was trying to have small footprint, I could gig with the ms3 OD. The dry blend works as it should and is a nice option.

2. ms3 Noise Gate is excellent. Really reall impressive, no need to add extra costly units here IMO

3. I guess you could coax a decent clean as is? I never tried.

Good luck!

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!
Any thoughts on the ODs and boosts for boosting a highgain amp?

Yeah the onboard OD's aren't bad. I'm more partial to my 805 that I run in L1. If I didn't have a quality OD pedal, the factory ones would work in a pinch.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not to hijack but I am a boss gt100 owner and would like to know how these two units compare as far as OD's? Also with the ms3 can you put effect pre and post? On the gt100 you can have two gates at the same time..

')