Questions on F# tuning/intonation/string gauge

• Thread starter lueastside
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lueastside

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post here.
Hoping some of you guys may be able to help me out. I'm thinking of buying a C7 Hellraiser. I was wondering if anyone here has tryed tuning theirs to F# on the low string. Is this doable, and what kind of string gauge did you use? Right now I use a 25.5 scale 7 string and I only use a 52 for my low B, although I'd probably like a 56 or something like that as I find the open B is a little too loose sounding. So for a F# I'm not really sure maby a 66 or something? And is Intonation a problem with tuning this low? It wouldn't have to be perfect, but pretty decent at least hehe.
Also do you have any other guitar recommendations for a baritone 7 string for tuning this low?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I tune drop F on a 25.5 scale 7. I use an Elixir .068, and I find it works terrific. Most would recommend at least a .070 probably, and while there's merit to that way of thinking, I can't argue with my results. Elixirs are bright anyway, and I use a Dimarzio D Sonic 7 pickup, which is made for low tunings.

But, yes, you can certainly achive satisfactory results with what you have in mind. :agreed:

Welcome, BTW!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Welcome :wavey:

I use a regular 7 string 10-56 in B standard, but I've just dropped the tuning of my RG7421XL (27" scale) to F# standard. Obviously those strings are a tad loose, but worked enough to let me know I like the sound of it. After playing my friends 25.5" 6 string tuned to G# with a 68 I'm going for a 6 string 13-56 set (the same as the lowest 6 strings I now use) with a 70 for my F#. The Hellraiser has a 26.5" scale, so I'd suggest something like a 68 or 70. The 66 might work for you as you're used to lighter gauges though. Trial and error is the only sure way to find what's best for you I'm afraid.

lueastside

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys guys. That was quick :hbang:
I guess I'd probably go for a 68 or 70 then.
Any thoughts on the intonation issue, does it work out ok (with adjustments of course)?

And any more opinions from others are welcome as well.

Thanks again :)

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've never tried to intonate a string that heavy on a TOM bridge, but I think some guys here use that kinda gauge on their Hellraisers without problem.

Days Break

Reaction score
i sometimes use lower(and higher) tunings, often simultaniously, have a 9-46 for e-e and a 60 for the low b...

playing in drop a at the minute on a rg7321, i had to adjust teh saddle, a teeny bit, and it was perfect, and i genuinely have no idea how to do that kind of stuff, ;) thinking of tuning down a bit, the problem being this rg7321 is a band mates and the pickupssound like 'blub' not 'chug' in b, so tuning it further down may be silly :S

saying that my amp is nearly dead now, good rest its soul :'(

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
When I had a 27" scale 7 string, I used a .085 for F# and it had a great tension. It wasn't loose at all, and it wasn't overly tight. It was just as tight as I like my rhythm strings so things don't get sloppy. I wasn't impressed in the sustain, but that might have been the fact that it was a steel string bass string. I would've gone down to an .080, but no less if you want it fairly taught.
(I use a .64 for B/A, FYI)

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
nyck said:
When I had a 27" scale 7 string, I used a .085 for F# and it had a great tension. It wasn't loose at all, and it wasn't overly tight. It was just as tight as I like my rhythm strings so things don't get sloppy. I wasn't impressed in the sustain, but that might have been the fact that it was a steel string bass string. I would've gone down to an .080, but no less if you want it fairly taught.
(I use a .64 for B/A, FYI)

Dude, I still don't understand why you had to use such a massive gauge :scratch:

Today I was changing strings, and when I was tuning my .59 low B, I decided to pause at F# and see how it is, because all of you guys are going on about how you need at least a 28" scale for an F#. Anyway, on my 25.5" the .59 gauge was floppy, but still 100% playable, and intonation was spot on. Now, it wasn't perfect, but my line of reasoning is that if I could do that with a .59 on a 25.5" guitar, then a .70 on a 27" will be more than enough for a low F#.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Nik said:
Dude, I still don't understand why you had to use such a massive gauge :scratch:

Today I was changing strings, and when I was tuning my .59 low B, I decided to pause at F# and see how it is, because all of you guys are going on about how you need at least a 28" scale for an F#. Anyway, on my 25.5" the .59 gauge was floppy, but still 100% playable, and intonation was spot on. Now, it wasn't perfect, but my line of reasoning is that if I could do that with a .59 on a 25.5" guitar, then a .70 on a 27" will be more than enough for a low F#.
It all depends on how tight you want it. I can't stand even a 64 at F#(25.5"). I can't see it being used for anything, even simple single note meshugguh stuff. It's just too floppy to get a good pick attack out of the string and have it decently sustain. This is all of course IMO. I'm sure you could get away with a 70....

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shits dawg, this is a year old and before that it was 2 years old :ugh:

GUT-G

Inside the Vortex
Reaction score
...And one year after the previous post.

I've got a Ernie Ball set of 6 string Baritone Slinky on my 27.75 scale. The lowest string tuned to F# and is a 72. A tad too loose for me TBH. Ordered an 80 to replace it. Im tuning the guitar to drop F# :nuts:

Merry Xmas.

')